Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New comer with t-maxx

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM
RedGN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New comer with t-maxx

HI everyone,

Just entered the RC truck scene with a used T-Maxx. I bought it for my son who is 10.

It is in pretty rough shape but i think a little cleanup and it will run no problem.

The person i bought it off said it used to be a 2.5 and he put in a 3.3. Fairly new tranny, and some other stuff.....

He assured me it works but like i said it is in pretty rough shape ( sorry no picks yet).

I was thinking of doing a few things to it before running it.

First, the body it came with is cracked in numerous places and is just hanging on to the frame, so a new body is in order
Second, the transmitter look like it's seen better days ( like 10 years ago ) so i was thinking of putting a JR rs300 receiver in it. My brother gave me his XS3 transmitter.
There is this thing called the OPTIDRIVE... Is that replaceable also?
Third I was thinking of replacing some plastic peices with aluminum ones.

What do you guys think.....I will post pics soon

Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
hpi mt 2 rulez

Default RE: New comer with t-maxx

Sounds like a nice truck for your son and what does the new body look like? Sounds like it will be a nice truck.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
rcdudegermy10

yea, I'm sure you can get it in good working order (take your time)...pic sure will be helpful though
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
-EXTRA-

Sound's good but no alluminum..RPM
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 AM
tmaxx_man87

yes sounds good, dont wast money on alluminum, it is heavy and will just bend instead of flex like plastic, the best upgrade is rpm plastic, www.rpmrcproducts.com it has a lifetime warranty agenst breakage and comes in diffrent colors, and as far as the opti drive, you dont need it most people take it off anyway, another good investment is a failsafe it keeps the truck from running off if you lose signal or your remote batts go dead... good luck
Old 11-22-2007, 02:53 AM
aznherb36

from all my upgrades, I would go with a hump pack - ballistic batteries - stronger steering servo, and if you are having trouble with your braking, I would consider CNR dual disk brakes. Failsafe is a must. I bought a used venom failsafe and it hasnt failed me.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM
RCCanuck

failsafes are a waste of time and if they are not programmed right your truck will run away.....make sure you have a strong throttle return spring.
I wouldn't worry about the body until you get it running and cleaned up....
yes the JR radio set up will be an improvement over the stock radio
the optidrive is like a failsafe...it prevents runaways by returing the throttle to idle is power the batteries in the truck become low...it also prevents the tranny from shifting into reverse while its going forward...and yes you can replace it
Old 11-22-2007, 04:39 PM
RedGN

Ok.... Here are the pics...

I downloaded the users manual but if anyone has suggestions please feel free to give them

THanks again
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79970.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	809425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11410.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	809426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95928.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	809427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93215.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	809428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23538.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	809429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23942.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	809430  
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
tmaxx_man87

it looks good to me good find, how much it run ya? it looks better than my t...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
RedGN

It ran me about 230 with wand and traxxas transmitter.

It looks better in the pictures thank in real though.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
tmaxx_man87

well, i paid 170 for my maxx bout 3 months ago and it was a bone stock 2.5... so i think you did ok... oh and as for the fail safe, i would get one and set it right... it sucks to see your expencive nitro truck zooming at wot and you have no controll over whare it goas... as for mine it went into a moose lodge wich is brick... it broke alot of parts... including my engine head
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
madmax22

NO alum parts! RPM has a lifetime warranty and the are super strong also stay away from Integy unless you like buying new parts...Also for a newbie a roll cage always helps and a motorsaver airfilter isnt a bad idea.....looks nice in the pics...... GoOd LuCk!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
RedGN

Ok alot of you are saying that a fail safe is a must....Who makes it, where can i get it, and how much?

Again everyone has said that RPM plastic is the way to go. I am guessing it is cheaper than aluminum and much stronger.

Also i was looking into shocks....Does RPM make those? Should i stay away from aluminum again? What are piggyback shocks?

Sorry for all the questions but i am new and money is an issue since my son wants to pay for this.

One last thing....Is it OK to run it in snow and water?

Thanks agian everyone.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM
tmaxx_man87

check out rpm products at www.rpmrcproducts.com and no they dont make shocks, and as for shocks alluminum is good for that, and piggyback is an extra resivoir on the side of the shock that allows it to hold more oil, and a good failsafe is made by venom, it will cost about 25$
Old 11-23-2007, 03:00 PM
tmanbu

You take your chances if you run it in snow or water. If the electronics get wet you can say BY BY. I did ok with mine in the snow. I just blew the snow off before it melted. It looks like you might already have an upgraded steering servo. The wires coming from the steering servo look like the wire from a Hitec servo. If that is what it is, then you have a good servo. They are stronger than the stock servo and allow the truck to steer faster and easier. Have Fun!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 PM
madmax22

if you put balloons around the servos it will sort of waterproof them just blow off the snow b4 it melts as for water ballooning will work but if you drive it into a pond u will most likely be buying new electronics....If you will be running in long wide fields a failsafe is a must if its just like driving in your backyard dont even bother but I recomend it you can spend $25 on a failsafe or atleast $50+ in new parts if you hit something WOT!!!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
drag racer

ORIGINAL: RedGN

HI everyone,

Just entered the RC truck scene with a used T-Maxx. I bought it for my son who is 10.

It is in pretty rough shape but i think a little cleanup and it will run no problem.

The person i bought it off said it used to be a 2.5 and he put in a 3.3. Fairly new tranny, and some other stuff.....

He assured me it works but like i said it is in pretty rough shape ( sorry no picks yet).

I was thinking of doing a few things to it before running it.

First, the body it came with is cracked in numerous places and is just hanging on to the frame, so a new body is in order
Second, the transmitter look like it's seen better days ( like 10 years ago ) so i was thinking of putting a JR rs300 receiver in it. My brother gave me his XS3 transmitter.
There is this thing called the OPTIDRIVE... Is that replaceable also?
Third I was thinking of replacing some plastic peices with aluminum ones.

What do you guys think.....I will post pics soon

Thanks
dont buy anything before you try running it. no sense dumping money into it if the motor is shot, you would be better buying a new motor if it needs one. if it runs fine then upgrade. i always upgrade as parts break, then you know which ones you'll need. a failsafe is a must for me, i almost had a runaway, but my servo went all the way left and my truck sarted doing donuts at WOT. good luck with the truck.