Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Blown diff.. 2nd time this month.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown diff.. 2nd time this month.

Well I just took out my truck today and I noticed I lost almost all of my FWD. So thats the secound time this month that I have blown my front diff...[:'(](first time I just stripped the ring gear.. probably happened again...) Well since this has happed twice this month it got me thinking what caused it strip again. Maybe my bulkhead is cracked and if flexing...? Last time I tore it down I didn't notice anything cracked or broken. I have really light diff oil in my diffs tho and I was also wondering if that would affect my ring and pinion gear stripping..? I don't see how it would though so thats really my question.. Any input on what it might be before I tear it down would be great. If nothing is broken(other then the ring/pinion gear) I'm gonna replace my diif oil with 7000wt because I'm only running 3000wt ATM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
HighClassBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blown diff.. 2nd time this month.

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom
I'm gonna replace my diif oil with 7000wt because I'm only running 3000wt ATM.

What????? You are only running 3000wt in the Revo diffs?????????[X(] It must unload like a mother[X(][X(] The Revo comes stock with 30,000wt diff oil.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
NitroVenom

lmao.. yea I'm not running a center diff though so its not like the front tires are only unloading. I have some pretty soft foams in my tires so basically my tires catch everything and they don't spin to mutch. Zombie maxx's work real good on the street. I've never had a problem with them diffs though.. It only just started to happen this month. And even if it was because of such a light weight oil, wouldn't my bevel gears be demolished by now and not my ring and pinion?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:07 PM
NitroVenom

Wait.. doesn't it just come with grease in the diffs stock?? and not actual wt oil??[&:]
Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
megamaxx

yes they come stck with that goopy grease,i would take a real good look around the bulkhead area,something has got to be wiggling around,or maybe something binding in the front driveline while the suspensions moving around
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
HighClassBasher

Wait.. doesn't it just come with grease in the diffs stock?? and not actual wt oil??[&:]
Nope they dont come with grease.... they come stock with 30K silicone oil (30,000wt).
Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 AM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: AiRevo

Nope they dont come with grease.... they come stock with 30K silicone oil (30,000wt).
funny,i just put brand new diffs in my b.b. revo,and when i switched out the plastic diff cups for aluminum,low and behold both diffs were full of that nasty grease
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 AM
RCCanuck

regardless of what they are filled with if they aren't shimmed properly they wear very fast and then they strip out,,,
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 AM
megamaxx

point taken canuck!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

regardless of what they are filled with if they aren't shimmed properly they wear very fast and then they strip out,,,
Now I know its been a while since I reported back to this thread(midterms, finals, all the good stuff..) but maybe you guys could help me out some more. Now I'm not exactly familiar with shimming my diffs. I have never had a problem with the ring and pinion gear before so I never needed to bother with the shims but what and how do they help? Don't they just make sure that the diff sits snuggly into the bulkhead without play?? I could see how not having enough shims would cause my diff to move and eventually strip them but I never took any out befoe so why would I need to put more in when they ran fine before?? I'll have to wait until next week(midterm/vacation) to see if somethin cracked on me. Anymore input would be great tho!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
NitroVenom

Anybody have anymore info for me?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
xrcodeman

is it possible to upgrade your diffs to a stronger set. does a company cell strenthened inards for them?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
NitroVenom

Other companies sell alluminum housings and I have seen other companies sell hardened gears(robinson racing) but I have extra stockers and since it has broken twice in such a short time, it is probably flexing somewhere and will just strip out the other gears.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe you should email kliff, I'l bet he has some spare diffs and trannies laying around...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Beasley1

ORIGINAL: xrcodeman

is it possible to upgrade your diffs to a stronger set. does a company cell strenthened inards for them?
This is by far the best diff upgrade you can get. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMWJ9&P=FR
Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Pacific Rider

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...-maxx+shim+mod
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
NitroVenom

^^That is what I wanted to see! Thanks for the link and I'll be soon to tear down my diffs to check out whats going on.

Beasly, $40 for a ring and pinion?!?.. I bet they can hold there own but I am not willing to spend $40 on two gears.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
megamaxx

once you shim the stockers it should be a long time before you have a failure,the rrp would be if you just flat thrash your truck
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
NitroVenom

Thx megamaxx, yea I hopefully wont have to deal with it anymore after this. WOuld you happen to know if the wt oil being to light that it will help cause this?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
RCCanuck

these diffs need grease not oil....they are not sealed so any oil will just leak out....If you buy the shims and some AE black grease clean them up shim them properly you should have no more issues if you stay with a stock powerplant and aren't doing constant donuts with it.....if you wanna upgrade eventually the RR gears are the best way to go and they come with shims...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
megamaxx

if it leaked and you ran them dry,definitely,the grease canuck mentioned is great,something else i have used in every one of my maxxs,is ofna's diff locker 50,000 silicone,thick enough not to leak,and a little more viscous than grease
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
NitroVenom

you should have no more issues if you stay with a stock powerplant
where gonna have a problem there..

Thx for all the advise guys. Im gonna try and tear it all down saterday when I get the chance. I'll post a pic up of anything that might have caused the problem.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
NitroVenom

Well I torn It down today and I found one of my bevel gears are stripped out.. Which it was clicking all the time and it explains the loss of power to the front wheels. I also found that my diffs leaked everywhere.. I'm gonna go get some shims along with a couple other things today at the LHS.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:21 PM
HighClassBasher

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

these diffs need grease not oil....they are not sealed so any oil will just leak out....

What in the world are you guys talking about????..... ALL the diffs in my Revo use silicone OIL (front, center, rear).....and they dont leak. Everyone i know uses from 10k to 50k wt silicone oil in the front/rear and 100k-500k in the center diff.
Stock front/rear diffs come with 30k wt silicone oil
Stock center diff comes with 100k wt silicone oil
The Revo diffs are ment to be filled with silicone oil.... not grease.

Heres a link to Traxxas silicone oil (front/rear diffs): http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=255
Heres the 100k: http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=252
Here is a bunch more: http://www.impaktrc.com/index.php?cPath=38_100
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
megamaxx

maxx diffs/no seals/needs grease........revo diffs/have seals/can run diff lube(oil)as far as revo diffs coming with silicone lube in them,its been my experience that they put what ever in those things,i have had them come with the goopy grease and i have had them come with silicone diff lube in them,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.