Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Jet engine in RC for a blast !

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
beer=food
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet engine in RC for a blast !

lm thinking of putting a small jet engine on a revo or truggy [ inferno ] just for a high speed run on tarmak, not sure if l'll do it yet, the engine is for the FA 18 hornet thats half built and is 1.7 metres long ! Its a bit of a technical nightmare fitting it and l would like to fit a small camera to the truck too, so, even more damn wires. Its still in the ideas stage, lve never fitted a jet engine to a car/truck ever, so it could be a short, messy, costly ,interesting video !
lm in the process of looing at engines for the FA18 hornet, its massive, and comes with a nitro engine and turbine fanblower set up, that comes out, thin metal linings go on the inside of the plane to stop it burning from motor to tail, taking nitro engine and turbine out saves alot of room and weight, one jet engine and mods is lighter than both of them items.
The bank will only insure it while its grounded in shed , LOL , as in, fire or breakin ! LOL ! lm at about 4 grand , 3 more to finish it. 3 years of build time, with a 12 month break inbetween where l built our house. Its a yellow'' plane brand from America, one of the better makers of models. All the wheels/landing gear are hydrolic and pop out etc, had air brakes, looks really sicko, not even painted yet, anyways gunna use the jet engine for a high speed blast on a truck or truggy, what do you guys recon would handle that better, given the revo would be set up low like a truggy ?

And yes if l actually do it l will post the vid.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
JB COMP

Default RE: Jet engine in RC for a blast !

I don't know if the jet turbines over there are as much as over here, but here there lie $2,500+

I don't think I have that in all my car put together.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Ingen28

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want Low CG, longest wheel base you can get!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my first ever post in the Traxxas forum(I think..)

But I just have to say:

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

Somebody's got to... Who wouldn't want to see a jet-powered monster-truck??..
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
rcnitrohead

Can you please take pics of the half built hornet and turbine? I'm a fanatic for military fighter jets, F-14 Tomcat RIP
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Soppy

use some rocket engines and light them before you floor it, you know like estes rocket engines. that would work and be a hell of a lot cheaper. try like d or e size, they are HUGE!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
rcnitrohead

Sure rockets are 1000X cheaper, but they are no where near as cool and you need to keep replacing them[:@]
Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Soppy

well i thought you would only be doing one run, plus you can refill the car with rockets 1000x before you meet the cost of a jet engine...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Redrawker

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Sure rockets are 1000X cheaper, but they are no where near as cool and you need to keep replacing them[:@]
XXX Main had a rocket Savage in one if their vids...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
beer=food
Banned

We did a rocket trick on a lie down skate board thingy, the guy riding it went so fast he couldnt stop and shot over a double laned highway, very lucky man ! Conrete barrier stopped him on other side ! Very sore man !
Anyways heres a link to the FA 18 half built, l'll update my pics in a month or so, these pics are over 12 months old.
Enjoy.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/beerfood/

lm still thinking about this, l dont really want to smash it all up on the first run, as there so expencive, so l think lm going to go with the truggy if l do it.

l wont use rocket engines, l need a jet engine for the plane, would like to do this to it as a bonus bit of fun, but it could work out pretty expencive if l screw up driving it, going to probly drive it on an old airport track at marybough queensland.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
rcnitrohead

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i2asTZHxC-c << I want one...

I wouldnt mind this either: http://youtube.com/watch?v=N37VMpkcgTw

I also wouldnt mind an F-22 with trust vectoring http://youtube.com/watch?v=AsfjOK_LcNE&feature=related I'm still amazed as to how he enabled that plane to have thrust vectoring[sm=confused.gif]

I dunno if you should put a turbine into a car beer, it wouldnt be fun because of the high risk of messing the $2000 engine up[&o]
Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 PM
RCCanuck

here ya go...
http://www.mkeeler.com/models/marjet/attempts1.htm

this guy lives like 2 hrs from me
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM
rms2005

Go for it, atleast the maiden flight on the turbine you dont have to worry about it becoming a lawn dart.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: beer=food

lm thinking of putting a small jet engine on a revo or truggy [ inferno ] just for a high speed run on tarmak, not sure if l'll do it yet, the engine is for the FA 18 hornet thats half built and is 1.7 metres long ! Its a bit of a technical nightmare fitting it and l would like to fit a small camera to the truck too, so, even more damn wires. Its still in the ideas stage, lve never fitted a jet engine to a car/truck ever, so it could be a short, messy, costly ,interesting video !
lm in the process of looing at engines for the FA18 hornet, its massive, and comes with a nitro engine and turbine fanblower set up, that comes out, thin metal linings go on the inside of the plane to stop it burning from motor to tail, taking nitro engine and turbine out saves alot of room and weight, one jet engine and mods is lighter than both of them items.
The bank will only insure it while its grounded in shed , LOL , as in, fire or breakin ! LOL ! lm at about 4 grand , 3 more to finish it. 3 years of build time, with a 12 month break inbetween where l built our house. Its a yellow'' plane brand from America, one of the better makers of models. All the wheels/landing gear are hydrolic and pop out etc, had air brakes, looks really sicko, not even painted yet, anyways gunna use the jet engine for a high speed blast on a truck or truggy, what do you guys recon would handle that better, given the revo would be set up low like a truggy ?

And yes if l actually do it l will post the vid.

Car Action (or what ever ) has a user ride where somone did this... or its a turbine engine or something. They are supposed to do a feature on it next month.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Soppy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6EctoAcXs

seems like jet planes are ridiculously over expensive for something you can do with a plain prop plane. of course i have no experience in the hobby so i don't know what i'm talking about...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

here ya go...
http://www.mkeeler.com/models/marjet/attempts1.htm

this guy lives like 2 hrs from me

Wow that thing is crazy. I wonder if this is the same guy I saw in the magazine this month. I am going to attempt to post the picture here....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59826.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	861188  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
beer=food
Banned

LOL soppy u r spot on spasticly expencive, this damn jet will have cost me 7 grand australian when finished, and thats without the jet engine ! A spitfire prop, is about a grand, a good one, decent size easier to fly, land and take off, and cheaper to run ! Then again l got out of flying over a year ago and back into nitro trucks, so the jet is a project on the side for now, mind you probly have to burn it and claim the insurance , LOL hahaha. After 3 million manhours building it l dunno that l could actually burn it ! Has 7mm thick carbon rods for tail wing flaps ! just thought ld add that, they amaze me everytime l look at them.Gives you an idea of the forces that are gunna smash into that rear wing surface !
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
beer=food
Banned

Will be using the older zircon 1/8 truck for it have decided, if l do it.Going to strip it of everything but electrics, and see what sort of room l have left, mod the rear end maybe so it dont catch fire, LOL, and see what happens, its gunna destroy this thing !
Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Soppy

put some broken parts behind the engine so it makes a melted plastic ball, lol