Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

starting a tmaxx when hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM
nitro rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting a tmaxx when hot

Hi,
I never really noticed until today but after running my tmaxx 2.5 for about 10 minutes and i shut it off to refuel, or it stalls, it doesn't start up right away, I have to let it cool for a few minutes. Then to start it i have to get on the gas immediatley or it stalls. is the not starting right away normal? or should it start right back up? Any input would help.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM
racemaxx24

Default RE: starting a tmaxx when hot

Usually when they won't start warm it means its down on compression and needs a rebuild. Thats what traxxas says[8D]
Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
nitro rc

so what does it take to rebuild an engine? iam very new to this and won't do many modding. I just wanted a fast rc car. Does it cost much and is it really necessary?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:15 PM
slurp91193

i wouldnt rebould ur engone if i was u ............ i wuld go to ur lhs and swap ur 2.5 for a 3.3...........i did it and am relly happy with the power from the 3.3 compared to the 2.5
Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
racemaxx24

Thats how I got my 3.3. Swaped a pro .15 and got a 3.3
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
NitroBobby

ORIGINAL: overdrivest

Thats how I got my 3.3. Swaped a pro .15 and got a 3.3
thread hijack....
word. i did the same thing. i pick up my 3.3 this week. what gearing are you using? i'm thinking of going with the 54tooth spur and leaving my 20 tooth clutch bell.

OP
how old is the engine?
what temperature are you seeing on the head?
it might be getting too hot and losing compression.
if it's got a few gallons through it and it's been run hot a lot, then it might be getting worn out.
an engine rebuild involves replacing the piston and sleeve inside the engine. usually this is in the $50-80 price range.
you can get a new 2.5r or even a 3.3 for not much more money and it'll be brand new.
is it normal? i think so. mine does the same thing when it's hot.
if it starts after it cools, then i think we've found the answer. loss of compression.
solution: don't shut it off to refuel (you don't need to any way). run it a little richer to prolong the rest of your engine life and keep the temps cooler.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: overdrivest

Usually when they won't start warm it means its down on compression and needs a rebuild. Thats what traxxas says[8D]

Well looks like u beat me to the punch here on this one overdrive he is right though usually a telltale sign that a piston/sleeve/conrod are on their way out is when it is hard to start while warm or it constantly dies when the engine is already warmed up....
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM
nitro rc

ya i will start to refuel while running from now on. I thought the fuel tank opening would effect the engine but i realize that the racers refuel while running. So the engine has bout 2 gallons but i think it is normal to not start back u pright away because the compression is off for starting. My friends MT2 does the same thing. very hard to start hot. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
matts6887

No problem.....glad to be of assistance(well as much as I can anyway)....any more problems just post away[8D]
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

ya i will start to refuel while running from now on. I thought the fuel tank opening would effect the engine but i realize that the racers refuel while running. So the engine has bout 2 gallons but i think it is normal to not start back u pright away because the compression is off for starting. My friends MT2 does the same thing. very hard to start hot. Thanks for the input.
a poor tune will do the same thing

in my experience
if the pinch - or lack of
is the problem
it's not long before
it just starts to die
once it's warmed up

if your's has been doing this for a while
it's probably tuning

if it's just started doing it
reset to factory settings and retune anyway
it's free and may fix the issue...
Old 04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
rcnitrohead

My TRX 2.5 did that throughout its whole lifetime, it was always a pain in the @$$ to start when hot, but I ran it to the grave.. Forget trading in for a 3.3, just get a good .18 and you will be really happy[8D]
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Stellar1

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

My TRX 2.5 did that throughout its whole lifetime, it was always a pain in the @$$ to start when hot, but I ran it to the grave.. Forget trading in for a 3.3, just get a good .18 and you will be really happy[8D]

how much is a .18 OS engine and which one? the one on tower say its discontinued (.18TM Direct bolt on) My Maxx is doing the same thing and my LHS told me that i have no compression. he said he would get me the 3.3 for 165 but alot of the guys here say its hard to tune. is the OS easier to tune is it faster, torquier, stronger? thanks for the help in advanced guys.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
racemaxx24

I went to hobbytown and did the traxxas ERP and went from a pro.15 to a 3.3 for 110.00 and I got the engine the same day. And yes the .18tm has been discontinued. Now the .21tm is the drop-in for the .18
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Stellar1

nice, thanks for the update, do you know if its alot stronger?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM
nitro rc

what i also noticed today and yesterday is that my maxx is taking like 10 mintes to actually start (i mean the very first startup) The ez start battery is newly charged but it doesn't want to ignite. i replaced the glowplug but didn't help. i do get it to start but it takes forever. When it finally does a lot of gas comes out the exhaust pipe but then the exhaust is normall after like a minute.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
matts6887

That sounds to me like u are wayy tooo rich on either the high speed needle or the low speed needle, or possibly both. Try leaning out(turning clockwise) the needle(s) 1/4 to 1/8 turn at a time...
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
nitro rc

ok thanks i will lean it out and start it up today. Ya even my dad said it was rich yesterday. I was surprised he recognized that since he doesn't know anything about my tmaxx. But i guess tuning is in 1:1 cars too.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
charlieboy

ORIGINAL: iamnot

a poor tune will do the same thing

in my experience
if the pinch - or lack of
is the problem
it's not long before
it just starts to die
once it's warmed up

if your's has been doing this for a while
it's probably tuning

if it's just started doing it
reset to factory settings and retune anyway
it's free and may fix the issue...
I totally agree, i don't think you need a new piston and sleeve or a new engine unless you really want to buy one.
Its likely your low speed needle setting is too lean, so it won't start when hot. Reset both needles to factory settings.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
nitro rc

i know its not the LSN because i have never adjusted it. Way too hard to get to on a tmaxx. I wasn't going to rebuild or buy a new engine. I was only wondering if it was a small adjustment needed to fix the problem. Now I have to open up the tranny cuz something broke in it.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

i know its not the LSN because i have never adjusted it. Way too hard to get to on a tmaxx. I wasn't going to rebuild or buy a new engine. I was only wondering if it was a small adjustment needed to fix the problem. Now I have to open up the tranny cuz something broke in it.
If the lsn has never been adjusted then that IS the problem. To tune a nitro engine it is every bit as important to tune the lsn as the hsn. If you've never tuned the lsn then your engine is nowhere near tuned correctly.
Besides, tuning can and does change from day to day, even morning to evening. Nitro tuning is not a "set-and-forget" kind of thing. That's one of the things that make people either love or hate nitro.
Take everyones advice, set all your carb needles to factory and then retune your motor. I think you'll be surprised by how much pore responsive and powerful your truck will be.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
nitro rc

ok i won't be able to fix that problem since my tranny broke yesterday so i have to open it up and see what happened. i think it is the same thing that alreaddy happened, a broken pin
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
nitro rc

haven't been on the computer much since the tranny broke. But I ended up fixing it the next morning and bashing the last o my fuel. I still haven't had a chance to get to my LHS to buy more. Also, how much fuel do u guys buy at a time?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
matts6887

It usually depends on how much bashing and/or general driving around Im gonna end up doing. For me I usually just buy 1 gallon at a time.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
nitro rc

same thats what i have been doing. It lasts a good amount of time too, well at least for me since i can only run it on weekends cause school and sports
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
hollylx88

all the engines i've run when they're hot, they are a pain to start. i usually have to give it some throttle to get them to fire. but if your lsn is factory set you definately need to play with it. since you said alot of fuel came out i would say it needs to be leaned out. also it seems the newer the engine is, the more you go through glow plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.