Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
bono130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Problems

I've just purchased a Revo that I've had nothing but problems with. (Which is dissappointing because I want to enjoy the truck it's awesome otherwise). My friend and I bought our trucks at the same time, and his works flawlessly.

I followed all of the instructions...It cranked over great for first few seconds until fuel reached the carb....then it just stopped. No problem I figure just hydrolocked...pull out the glow plug and crank it a little. When I did that it cranked ok for a few seconds. Then it stopped...the piston was getting stuck at TDC, all the time with the glow plug out, so with the starter pack, it would turn it about 1 revolution before stopping solid at TDC again...when I took out my glow plug there are black specs/small chunks on the top of the piston, at this point it had never ran. I went to the hobby shop that I bought it from and they offered to look at it for $40/hour (nice guys). I took the cooling head off took out the sleeve, and cleaned the black debris (it could have been metallic I'm not 100%sure), and re-assembled it...it was still tight at tdc, so I used a hair dryer to heat the motor. I got it started, and had to bump the idle a 1/8th turn. It ran great for the first tank. From then on in it stalls after running for a few minutes, and then it can't be re-started (it takes alot of cranking, or it has to sit for a few minutes before it will restart), I have ran 5 tanks through it now (since new, so the break in is done, as per the manual/video). I have tried resetting the needles twice, I have bumped the idle, I have changed the glow plug nothing is working.

I'm very frustrated, and want to use this awesome truck...any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Mspeed

Default RE: Revo Problems

does it crank over fast? Or is it just the getting to run issue right now?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Mspeed

If you hold a bit of throttle down will it start up and run? If so does it have any power when you accelerate?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 AM
bono130

Thanks for the quick replies!!

No it doesn't start if I blip the throttle...it stalls when I slow down...or let off the throttle. This only starts happening after it gets hot...I just finished breaking it in, and the needle settings are still factory (I've reset them twice).
Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 AM
bono130

I should also mention, that when it stalls it is next to impossible to restart, I have to wait a few minutes.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Mspeed

If your broken in fully, I would start tuning for performance and make sure your idle stop screw is about 1mm open in the carb. Take the airfilter off and check the gap with a allen wrench down in the carb. Start leaning the hsn first then do the lsn. Make sure you read how to tune before you do all this or you will ruin your motor. Hold the throttle down a bit to keep it running if needed till you warm it up. Might be just overly rich and stalling at idle.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 AM
beer=food
Banned

At one tank its not broken in, it sounds like its flooding if its hard to crank after it stalls, sounds like its so rich its spattering onto the glow plug helping to stall it. If its always getting stuck at TDC when first starting it for the day, its to cold where you are, heat the engine up, hair dryer. If it floods the ezy start fail safe kicks in, and nothing happens when you press the button.
Try setting the idle a touch higher, if you lean it out. Start truck against wall or stand on front whatever, incase it wants to jog off, if it floods still, then slow the idle a touch.
Lean the bottom end needle out a bit.
Make sure you have blue smoke still.
Make sure theres lots of blue smoke at WOT.
Try changing the glow plug, and cleaning the air filter.

If its set way to rich now, to do a rough fast test, pull glow plug out, prime fuel to carby, crank in over with ezy start for 10 or so seconds, if if lots a fuel spatters out, its way to rich, keep truck upright when doing it, that'll give you a fast inkling of whats going on in that cylinder at cranking.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM
bono130

I think I'm going to take a baseball bat to this truck!!!

I ran it again tonight...It's stalling while accelerating now...I can't even get it warm enough to tune it...I think I have a bad motor!!!

When it stalls I can't restart it....it's all over the place I've tried resetting the needles a couple of times...nothing changes.

Thanks for all your help guys...but I'm going to give up :-(
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Kaptain Chaos

Phone traxxas, I am sure they will help you it does have a warranty if you just purchased it from your lhs, I had my piston locking up on me allot the first tank it was frustrating after killing my battery in the ez start and having to wait again but after heating it removing the plug I got it running and it seems to rip pretty good and idle fine. I am sure traxxas will at least give you a deal on the new motor with the trade in replacement plan they offer, I would suggest to check it out before bashing your revo with a baseball bat
Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 AM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: bono130

I think I'm going to take a baseball bat to this truck!!!

I ran it again tonight...It's stalling while accelerating now...I can't even get it warm enough to tune it...I think I have a bad motor!!!

When it stalls I can't restart it....it's all over the place I've tried resetting the needles a couple of times...nothing changes.

Thanks for all your help guys...but I'm going to give up :-(
do not blame the truck
for your inexperience

did you even read the manual or watch the dvd?

if you did you are certainly not
following their instructions

a couple things to remember
this is a hobby
hobbies require that you acquire some skill
so there is a learning curve and you're just starting up the hill

break-in is always a pita
tuning is a process - not just turning needles blindly

if you're gonna stay in this hobby
you need way more patience than you're showing

stay calm and learn
getting mad won't help a thing
giving up will help less

reread your manual
and follow the instructions exactly
and you'll eventually get it
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bono130

I should also mention, that when it stalls it is next to impossible to restart, I have to wait a few minutes.
Does it stall like this when it is already warm quite often? Because if it does, usually that is a tell-tale sign that the compression of the engine is slowly heading downhill; which in turn means it may possibly be "rebuild" time...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
[email protected]

He said its brand new...i would call traxxas and see if they can help you.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
matts6887

Oops!!!....so he did....my bad....DOH[&:]
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
number40
Banned

i would be kind of curious to know what the "stuff" you found inside the cylinder was?
did you get dirt inside the tank when filling it up, because it sure sounds like you have a contamination issue or some kind of blockage relative to fuel flow.
did you get the motor reassembled correctly, or is this your first nitro and you're in over your head?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
matts6887

I'm kinda wondering myself as well; as to what those metallic looking "bits" were. Something sounds like it either musta have been in there inside the engine all along, or; somehow worked its way in through the fuel system or air filter or something along those lines...personally if it were me; I too would probably wanna call traxxas and see what they have to say about this....
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
beer=food
Banned

Definately ring traxxas, there excellent usually , you will get a new one free, usually !
Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Definately ring traxxas, there excellent usually , you will get a new one free, usually !
Yep, if there is a certainty that it is 100% a mfg. defect, without them actually having to look at the engine; then yes, u probably will get a new one out of it; THAT is how top-notch their customer service is...good luck with it either way man if and when u do call them...[8D]