Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Switching to pull start.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Hfourx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to pull start.

I'm relatively new at this and had a few questions. What do i need to buy in order to convert to a pull start? (I already have the pull start.) I was wondering how the glow plug ignites and how to prime it. Any tips are appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

-Hfourx
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
cork9

Default RE: Switching to pull start.

you have to buy a glow plug igniter there like 20-40 bucks and to prime it you just do the same as if it were and electric start only pull the string instead of pushing a buton
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
choppaholix

ORIGINAL: Hfourx

I'm relatively new at this and had a few questions. What do i need to buy in order to convert to a pull start? (I already have the pull start.) I was wondering how the glow plug ignites and how to prime it. Any tips are appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

-Hfourx
If you dont mind me asking why do you want to down grade to a pull start?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
caprice classic

i "downgraded" to a pull start becuase i diddnt want to carry a 2 pound pack around with me all day, and then have the batt run out and pretty much be dead in the water. pull start is the way to go.you can find a AA powered glow plug ignitor for 10 bucks at you lhs and a pull start costs 20 bucks(the same as a stick pack) so really the pull start is the way to go, the only limit to turning over your motor is how tired your arm gets.

heres a tip, pull the cord out till about 4 inches are inside the pull start, and color a little ring around the string, if you see this, your pulling too long, so pull shorter, thsi will save you a broken string
Old 08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
choppaholix

True about the pull string less stuff to carry, Untill the rope snaps then your in dead water, As for the battery pack goes is eazier and faster to remove and insert a second batt pack instead of repairing a broken pull string out their.In my opinion auto start is the way to go.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
westphill24

I thought I got off easy when I got a pull start on my TRX 3.3, Yay no more EZ start, Ouch, no more skin on fingers. I hear people say they love pull start but my experience was less positive and more painful. Im not saying dont use it, just saying there is definitely a down side for some people.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
ridikt

not tryin to turn this into a bash thread, but pullstart is the way to go. no dead batts or anything to lug around. saves weight on the truck. and if your truck is tuned right, it still starts right up. pullstarts dont eat up one way bearings nearly as fast, and if you know what your doing, strings dont break that much, other than when you have a new engine, but i still havent had one break. easy start is a rather nice convenience, but a hassle at the same time, the design is crap. if there was a delay for the starter to let the glow plug warm up it would be way better. thats my 2cents
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
FISH KILLA

I agree that a pull start can be much kless hassle and more fficient. When traxxas sent me my i think 3rd replacement engine it came with a pull start. I have broken strings but some one told me here that mini blind cord works great as a replacement cord and they were right. I keep some extra in the tool box in case it breaks again but has been fine for a gallon or two now. The glow igniter is easy to keep in ur pocket and hols a charge for over a week of driving. Checking glow plugs is easy with it too. I usually repare my glow plugs if the coil gets bent out of shape and shorts out and with the igniter you can check it easy. My engine is tuned pretty good so it usually starts with 2 or 3 pulls. Much cleaner engine area and less weight. All pros if you ask me.

my 2 cents...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM
caprice classic

i think pull start is the way to go, all you need is a glow ignitor and your muscles. thats it, i have gone through 3 gallons, and the string is fine, sure if you try and pull it all the way out every time, ofcourse it will break and hurt your fingers, i pull my cord about a foot, the cord is 2 feet long so it never will snap off, it will just wear over time. mine will probably out last the truck becuase i only pull it half of the length and it starts just fine
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
FrAnCioS

I to have converted to the pull start reason being its just easy and much better then the ez start. I ran over 3 gallons on my trx 3.3 now the engine is dead but the pull start works still. Just waiting on my rb 523 to arrive! YAY
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Narvin

i killed my easy start so im doing the same thing, what would be a good/great glow ignitor?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
caprice classic

if you want cheap throwout junk, get one that takes AA's they cost like 10 bucks at hobbyshops. or you could buy one for 25-30 that comes with a charger and is slightly larger. they are good for someone who runs near their house and if need be, you can just go and charge it up. but if your not near your house, camping for instance and theres no charger. then the one that takes aa's is a good idea cause if you ahve to , you can ever rob a battery from your transmitter to start it up, then replace the battery and drive it away. (make sure it is againsed somthing big so if it does run away without control, it wont go far)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
DaveG55

I've been in this hobby since 1965 or so and used nearly every kind of starting system there is. I don't care which system you use they all - every one - has their good sides and bad. I currently own nitro vehicles with pull start, roto start, spin start, ez-start, cone start and bump start. Far and away my favorite starting system is the ez-start system. It is easy, fast and convenient and has easily been as reliable as any other system I have (or have had). And I guraentee that I can start and be running my ez-start trucks much faster than anyone with a pull start can get theirs going.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
nitro rc

Personally i would never go from electric start to pull start. You can always put down the battery pack, you don't have to hold it. I always start my tmaxx and then put the ez start aside and bash away. I am not saying pull start is bad though. My bros new firestorm has a pull start and we can fire up the engine in 1 pull every time after being primed properly. I think pull start is great because all we carry around is a AA battery sized glow igniter. but IMO i would stick with electric start. There is no broken strings or cut fingers.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
choppaholix

It all comes down to what you like, I personally like the E-start its been good to me. Pull start is cool too.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Hfourx

Thanks for your opinions everyone, its good to see the pro's and cons. I already bought the pull start so im going to use it. So my question is how to prime the engine?

-Hfourx
Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
choppaholix

ORIGINAL: Hfourx

Thanks for your opinions everyone, its good to see the pro's and cons. I already bought the pull start so im going to use it. So my question is how to prime the engine?

-Hfourx
Disconnect your pressure side fuel line and blow thru it and stop when you see fuel reach the carb. Or plug your exhaust pipe hole and pull on your pull start untill you see fuel reach the carb. Remember stop when you see fuel at carb inlet port hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
StemTMAXX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to a pull start this weekend and havent looked back since! I love it. I use a HOT SHOT 2 Long Glow Ignitor, within the first two pulls my T-Maxx starts right up, no more waiting for batterys to charge or going dead in the middle of starting. I just put my finger over my exhaust deflector and pull one or two times. works like a charm.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
nitrorevo33

i heard using a pull start is just like starting a weed eater

i use the ez start. might get a seprat glow ignitor though
Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: westphill24

I thought I got off easy when I got a pull start on my TRX 3.3, Yay no more EZ start, Ouch, no more skin on fingers. I hear people say they love pull start but my experience was less positive and more painful. Im not saying dont use it, just saying there is definitely a down side for some people.

Indeed, my experience with pull starts has been less positive as well because Ive gone through at least 3 of them on the former engine that use to be in my 1/8 buggy. And after that point I SWORE i would NEVER go back to pull start again even despite the fact that I would have to carry around a starter wand and igniter.....
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
dewberryb

Bump box with 12v gel bat is the way to go!