Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Need Help Convincing Parents!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
dwsiedell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Convincing Parents!!

hey guy, i need help convincing my parents into letting me get an RC MT. they think it is too expensive even though i am buying it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
dwsiedell

Default RE: Need Help Convincing Parents!!

i meant HEY GUYS not GUY
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
TMaxxDriver

It's a good hobby to get into... Regardless of the price, the fun makes up for it!!! It's better than your parents buying you a junky P.O.S. RC from WalMart, which they would have to do EVERY year, cuz those things don't last long!!

At least for Nitro RC, if you break something, you can always buy a replacement to FIX it!! Once you spend the money to buy the RTR setup, it gets cheaper down the road. Except for buying replacement parts/Fuel/Glow Plugs/accessories, etc...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 PM
TMaxxDriver

Here's another thing I was thinking...

Are your parents cool, or are they the uptight/strict type of parents??

What would be their 'defense' as to why they say its 'too expensive'?? Just curious if they have a good enough 'reason', or they just don't want you to have more FUN than they do!!!

Tell them this, 'If it's TOO loud, your TOO old!!!!'' Hahaha... They might not like that, so don't say it to them! [:@]
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM
dwsiedell

they are kind of strict but my dad is interested in the hobby. they want me to save for a car i think. even though i just turned 15 a month ago. i would be paying for my own gas and i don't even have a part-time job because i can't in nebraska until i am 16. i told them i could wait for a car so i could actually have money to pay for gas for it. i told them this would be something to do so i don't just watch tv and video games - keep me hands on and outside. (i want to be a mechanic when i am older anyways)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

my parents don't like me getting r/c's either but i just bought a savage x 4.6 about 2-3 months ago lol.

also, i just bought a used t-maxx for $250 on thursday. both trucks are paid in full by me. my parents hate my hobby but as long as i pay for everything, (alot easier now that i have a job) i can keep doing what i love.[8D]
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
jt_2_5

As a parent I think I can help you with this. First sit down with Mom and Dad and explain to them why you want to get started in the hobby. If dad has some interest tell him it is an opportunity to spend time together. My son and I spend a lot of time together Bashing our R/C's (now he wants to be a racer). Tell them you will be responsible for the up keep of the Truck. This shows responsibility on your part and parents love that. Finally do not fight them on this issue. Be patient and polite.

Hope this helps.
JT
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM
KRO

Another point too make is that R/C off roading is totally safe , unlike if you were into quads or motorcycles and actually riding it .

You still get a rush from running it without the risk of injury .
Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Clymer122693

^^^Well you know if he had to mt's he could strap one two each foot and go offroading...not sure how safe it would be then lol. I have been thinking about strapping two revo's to my feet and having nitro powered skates for a lonnnnng time, would be a very effective way to get to school on time none the less lol. I wasn't being serious about the nitro skates so no need to bring up the hole technical crap about clutches burning up and engines overheating.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 AM
RIP_nitrodan

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

^^^Well you know if he had to mt's he could strap one two each foot and go offroading...not sure how safe it would be then lol. I have been thinking about strapping two revo's to my feet and having nitro powered skates for a lonnnnng time, would be a very effective way to get to school on time none the less lol. I wasn't being serious about the nitro skates so no need to bring up the hole technical crap about clutches burning up and engines overheating.
not to mention shocks bottoming out, tranny gears frying, praying that 2 HP total could move you, and with 150cc of fuel even if the truck held up youd be lucky it make it to the end of the block.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 AM
TMaxxDriver

ORIGINAL: RIP_nitrodan

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

not to mention shocks bottoming out, tranny gears frying, praying that 2 HP total could move you, and with 150cc of fuel even if the truck held up youd be lucky it make it to the end of the block.

LoL.. I WAS gunna make a smart @$$ comment, but I refrained...

I was in your situation a little over a year ago, when I was attempting to get my first nitro RC... BUT I had to sit my wife down and have the TALK with HER. 'Honey Pleeeeaaaseee can I buy it?!?!"" 'I will sit in your face and annoy you until you let me get it!!!''' HAHAHA

I got my way, now I own 2 RC's, working on 6,7,8, heck maybe even a dozen like futureboy has, LoL!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 AM
schlags62

ORIGINAL: dwsiedell

they are kind of strict but my dad is interested in the hobby. they want me to save for a car i think. even though i just turned 15 a month ago. i would be paying for my own gas and i don't even have a part-time job because i can't in nebraska until i am 16. i told them i could wait for a car so i could actually have money to pay for gas for it. i told them this would be something to do so i don't just watch tv and video games - keep me hands on and outside. (i want to be a mechanic when i am older anyways)
From experience I can tell you that my father was slow to get into the MT's, he has helis, but since he retired this summer he has gone all out with revos and MGT's. Even though we live 3 hours apart we have gotten closer than ever just from rc's. You are fortunate to live in Lincoln where you have Hobbytown and a track, with Omaha that short distance away with both of those also. I would suggest that maybe you and your father sit down and maybe get a truck together and gain some knowledge and then get a second (one for each) to enjoy together!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
rockorevo

man it sucks that u kant work. heh if u were like me and everyother 15 yr old i know, as soon as u get ur license and ur 1st vehicle the rc car will be on the baaaaaaack burner. especially if ur attracted to the oppisite sex (my mind was in the gutter ok)

your better off to find some under the table jobs and save up for ur new vehicle. u dont wanna b pickn up chix in a hooptee
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
bob5429

rockorevo, maybe you should concentrate in school more and learn how to spell some of the bigger words in your post.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

It's a good hobby to get into... Regardless of the price, the fun makes up for it!!! It's better than your parents buying you a junky P.O.S. RC from WalMart, which they would have to do EVERY year, cuz those things don't last long!!

At least for Nitro RC, if you break something, you can always buy a replacement to FIX it!! Once you spend the money to buy the RTR setup, it gets cheaper down the road. Except for buying replacement parts/Fuel/Glow Plugs/accessories, etc...
+1 here for sure!!! and I definitely agree on the part of being able to learn about a nitro RC vehicle urself; its all part of the whole "hobby r/c" experience, etc....I would also tell parents it is indeed much better than buying a crappy walmart or toysrus "special" and have it break and not be able to get parts for it like u can with the hobby grade level vehicles....
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
rockorevo

Dwsidell you'll see my point one day when your buddies are cruising around with the cheerleaders and ur playing with your.......well..... your RC I guess.

You need to get your priorities straight young grasshoppa. Transportation is a neccessity now days. RC cars are a toy, something i didnt have till i graduated COLLEGE.

Im not telling you not to get one by anymeans but walking everywhere sucks.

THANX FOR THE SPELL CHECK BOB!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
TMaxxDriver

Oh I got a good argument for that... Its what I tell my wife ALL the time, because I like to spend lots of money on my RC hobby....

'It's a FUN Hobby!' 'It's better than me doing drugs or sitting at the bar!!' 'I'm building/testing for the baby!!' 'It's cheaper than the 4 wheeler that I want!!'

Those are what I use... Yours may be a little different cuz your younger and well, NOT married, and DON'T have a baby!!! LoL

Try these:

'Better than doing drugs.' 'Better than hanging out with the wrong crowd.' 'Better than a GF and having sex before marriage, unexpected children.' 'Better than being a serial killer/robbing banks/stealing cars, etc' 'It will help with mechanical skills, maybe fix mom's grocery getter stationwagon.' 'Learn how to tune an engine (although smaller scale)' 'Better than fighting with siblings/parents.' That's about all I got for now.

Tell them that if you get good enough, you can join races, and win money to pay them back!! hahahaha

What's so wrong with getting an RC truck?! He can't get a job yet, so why not have FUN doing SOMETHING??
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM
rockorevo

Honestly, i think its an awsome idea for you to have an rc. You'll gain alot of knowledge on the way a offroad truck is built and the functionality of the vehicle.

But as you get older youll see that a vehicle is a neccessity. I think thats something we can all agree on.

I dont know. I was always taught to work hard and save. I understand his point of not working but saving is something we all need to do. Especially if your getting ready to turn 16.

Growing up isnt always FUN my man.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 PM
quadracer111

let your dad drive it and he will like it more than you and then buy you a revo 3.3 and then buy himself a savage xl lol
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
choppaholix

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

let your dad drive it and he will like it more than you and then buy you a revo 3.3 and then buy himself a savage xl lol
I agree with you and tmaxxdriver.And then his dad is gonna want me to build him a truckstand "JOKE" as a mechanic your gonna need some kinda mechanical skills to repair your car when you get one. So why not start with an rc truck and who knows you might be their mechanic some day and save them all kind of money. I want to say more but i'll stop now.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie is sure some of you have heard this story.

One day, many many years ago, a ThunderbirdJunkie nowhere near as old ad wise as he is now was sitting at the kitchen table assembling his new Stampede KIT...

His mom comes home, and demands that it be returned, after finding out how much it cost.

"Sure mom, as long as we can come through the shady part of town on the way home so the neurotic RCU addict to later be known as ThunderbirdJunkie can buy some DRUGS"

in the 13 or so years since that happened, ThunderbirdJunkie has not been hassled by his mother about the cost of his toys.

Anyway, tell your mom some guy on the internet said an RC car will keep you too broke to afford drugs.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 AM
choppaholix

Oh I got a good argument for that... Its what I tell my wife ALL the time, because I like to spend lots of money on my RC hobby....

'It's a FUN Hobby!' 'It's better than me doing drugs or sitting at the bar!!' 'I'm building/testing for the baby!!' 'It's cheaper than the 4 wheeler that I want!!'

Those are what I use... Yours may be a little different cuz your younger and well, NOT married, and DON'T have a baby!!! LoL

Try these:

'Better than doing drugs.' 'Better than hanging out with the wrong crowd.' 'Better than a GF and having sex before marriage, unexpected children.' 'Better than being a serial killer/robbing banks/stealing cars, etc' 'It will help with mechanical skills, maybe fix mom's grocery getter stationwagon.' 'Learn how to tune an engine (although smaller scale)' 'Better than fighting with siblings/parents.' That's about all I got for now.

Tell them that if you get good enough, you can join races, and win money to pay them back!! hahahaha

What's so wrong with getting an RC truck?! He can't get a job yet, so why not have FUN doing SOMETHING??
Funny my was see's me working on my rc tk's and say's i wish i was that tmaxx' As she walks by[:@]
Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 AM
choppaholix

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie is sure some of you have heard this story.

One day, many many years ago, a ThunderbirdJunkie nowhere near as old ad wise as he is now was sitting at the kitchen table assembling his new Stampede KIT...

His mom comes home, and demands that it be returned, after finding out how much it cost.

"Sure mom, as long as we can come through the shady part of town on the way home so the neurotic RCU addict to later be known as ThunderbirdJunkie can buy some DRUGS"

in the 13 or so years since that happened, ThunderbirdJunkie has not been hassled by his mother about the cost of his toys.

Anyway, tell your mom some guy on the internet said an RC car will keep you too broke to afford drugs.
I love this story but question how old is thunderbirdjunkie and is thunderbirdjunkie still living with his mommy?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

He is 27, and no, he is not still living with his mommy[&:]

But, parents will always worry about their offspring's responsibility and ability to make good adult decisions.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 AM
TMaxxDriver

ORIGINAL: choppaholix

Try these:

Funny my was see's me working on my rc tk's and say's i wish i was that tmaxx' As she walks by[:@]
That's awesome... I have a picture of my friends muddy jeep in my garage... we drew with our finger on the back window, "I wish my wife was this dirty"... LoL [sm=bananahead.gif]

<- TMD needs a truck stand!! LoLz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.