Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Putting flywheel bdc question?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
molsen3385
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting flywheel bdc question?

K today I took revo out to make sure it was running good for this weekend and tune it up again. I tightened everything down and in process i marked bdc on flywheel for when i shut it down and store it(just converted to larger flywheel for bumpbox so 2nd time running this flywheel last time and today being second) and after running for alil bit messing with the tune getting it just right when the exhaust header broke(not even jumping) so i called it good and threw her up on the bench and went to put at bottom dead cent and the mark was totaly off.now to remind you i check it several times to make sure it was one full rotation and it hit the dot everytime before I ran it. So dit the nut come alil loose I wonder?It didnt realy feel like it was slipping when i turned it by hand it cranked over normaly Any other sujestions?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Putting flywheel bdc question?

just the stress of running it and/or using the starter box did it, since there is no key on these flywheels, it'll move, especially if the taper on the cone and flywheel don't match exactly, which should match better now that it's spun a little... if you mark it now, it might not move again
Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM
molsen3385

Hmm very interesting will have to check it out n let ya know.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Depending on how tight you have the nut on your shaft, teh flywheel can move. You mught have to shim behind teh collet to make it grip more tightly on the flywheel. If you tighten to hand-tight with a crosswrench, and teh collet is gripping the flywheel properly, it really should not lose its position from where you marked BDC. If it is shifting, try a couple of things: shim behind the collet, and relpace the collet. If even taht doesnt do the trick, you might have to replace the flywheel too.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
cmerritt

just take the glow plug out and use a screwdriver or something to turn it until you see it hit bdc.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
molsen3385

Yeah thats what im not gona do is stick a screwdriver anywhere near the inside of my engine unless absolutaly needed. I can just turn the flywheel to find bottom dead center.What i was saying was where i marked for bottom dead center before i ran has changed after I ran it so thus meaning fliywheel slipped alil bit. And savagejim this is a brandnew flywheel and the cone looked fine when installed. I will try the shimm idea and c how it works. Any small washer good enough for a shim?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, but I would get a shim kit with a 7mm hole diameter, the diamerter of the thicker part of the crankshaft that sticks out the front of you engine. You should be able to find shims that are about .05mm, .07mm, or so so you can put more than one on.

Pay attention though. If you put too many behind the collet, you could push your CB too far forward. You should be able to put just enough behind the collet such that the CB teeth match up exactly with the spur teeth.

This nice thing about shimming the collet and flywheel is that it can be done on any vehicle: a 4-Tec, T-Maxx, Revo, or actually, virtually any other nitro RC.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
TMaxxDriver

ORIGINAL: cmerritt

just take the glow plug out and use a screwdriver or something to turn it until you see it hit bdc.

Molsen, I think that he meant to take the plug out, and turn the flywheel with the screwdriver, you can look through the hole to see the piston moving up and down... I don't THINK he meant to jam a screwdriver down INTO the hole... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Sometimes you need something to turn the flywheel when the engine is cool.. but if it is warm, it's easily turned with your hand.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
molsen3385

I hope thats what he ment haha. Just the way it was worded could be mistaken easily But anyways like i said it was after running it so it was up to temp when i checked it and turned it bdc.Fairly tight but able to move it by hand. I have no problem finding bottom dead center on the trx3.3 as the picco .26 maxx was very tight and needed heatgun and the screwdriver to turn flywheel when cold. When it is cold yes it can be a pain to move flywheel bc of the super tight pinch performance rc engines have and with heat the sleave expands and makes it easier to move piston. Higher performance engines can almost be impossible to move the flywheel by hand and then needing a screwdriver to turn it over. Gona pic up some shims tonight along with a new header and see how that works. As it is my flywheel and clutch bell line up perfect. So hopefully just one shimm is needed. Also does anyone else have a problem with the c clip coming off on the Racers edge clutch bells.Both times i put it on it spit the c-clip. Never done it with stock before and i put stock back on right after and been good since.