Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I have been sucked in

Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have been sucked in

Well I put my big boy pants on and just spent $576.00 for a new REVO 3.3. For that price I walked out with a gallon of fuel, Rx and starter battery, fuel bottle.So I got a car for $439.99, (2) batteries for $50.00, fuel for $33.00 and a bottle for $8.00. The rest went to the Republic of Kalifornia.

This is my first car/truck in over 15 years. The first Nitro car I had was the Hobby Shack brand 1/8 off road buggy. When I could keep the dog bones in, it was super fast. I guess I had it for about 6 months and got less then a gallon of fuel through it. They could never keep the dog bones in stock. I then went to a Tamiya Boom a rang 4 wheel drive electric car. I ran that into the ground.

This new car is like the Flintstones meet the Jetsons. I got it all together tonight. The Rx pack they sold me was to wide with the cells side by side so in stead of waiting or driving 70 miles I just cut it apart and re-arranged to fit. I had thrown all of the old Tamiya connectors a long time ago. Now I need one to charge the starter battery.

Tomorrow I will do the break in and see if I have fun this weekend.

Looks like I was able to stay away from the dark side for 15 or so years. The pull is just to great.

Dru.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
camaross427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I have been sucked in

cool...i am planning on getting a 3.3 revo soon....can't wait for the review u give....

one question..does the ez start system use trx plug's?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

Congrats! You should have a bunch of fun. My neighbor has a Revo and I run with a T-Maxx. Its a great truck.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 PM
choppaholix

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Well I put my big boy pants on and just spent $576.00 for a new REVO 3.3. For that price I walked out with a gallon of fuel, Rx and starter battery, fuel bottle.So I got a car for $439.99, (2) batteries for $50.00, fuel for $33.00 and a bottle for $8.00. The rest went to the Republic of Kalifornia.

This is my first car/truck in over 15 years. The first Nitro car I had was the Hobby Shack brand 1/8 off road buggy. When I could keep the dog bones in, it was super fast. I guess I had it for about 6 months and got less then a gallon of fuel through it. They could never keep the dog bones in stock. I then went to a Tamiya Boom a rang 4 wheel drive electric car. I ran that into the ground.

This new car is like the Flintstones meet the Jetsons. I got it all together tonight. The Rx pack they sold me was to wide with the cells side by side so in stead of waiting or driving 70 miles I just cut it apart and re-arranged to fit. I had thrown all of the old Tamiya connectors a long time ago. Now I need one to charge the starter battery.

Tomorrow I will do the break in and see if I have fun this weekend.

Looks like I was able to stay away from the dark side for 15 or so years. The pull is just to great.

Dru.
Welcome to nitro engines and this furum. I have a revo and i love it' and i dont have any regrets the more i bash it the more i love about it. IMO get a cage And when you start it for the first time it would'nt hurt to put some after run oil in it just in case.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 AM
mbogosia

I did the same thing about a month ago and I am hooked. Make sure you go ahead and buy some spare stuff since it is so cheap. Spur gears, pushrods, screws, etc... I have been building up my spare stuff so I don't have to worry about braking something while out having fun.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
JLRevo

Got mine in June and loving it. Paid about what you paid.Got the PIcco 26 and AB Mods is working on my JL as you read this. Getting the Revo was an excellent choice.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

The easy system uses the old Tamiya connector. I have to get a set to make a charge cord for my Tritton II charger.

I am going to pick up a tackle box for all the car stuff. I have a tackle box for helicopter and planes so I will just get 1 more.

I will be doing the break in this weekend. I have been flying planes and helicopters but have not gotten a car. I have a garage full of planes and helicopters and now the start of cars. You can never have enough.

I picked up a gallon of monster 20% fuel. I need to get a couple glow plugs for it. I have Enya #3, Fox miricle, Thunder bolts, economy cheap plugs so I thought I would try a couple of the Traxxas plugs.

I have 6 acres to play on so I should have plenty of room. I will be doing the break in on my runway. It is a 400 foot dirt strip so I can do the start and stop routine they call for. The break in sounds easy enough. I have had some really long hard break ins with my aircraft engines.

there is gong to be 3 of us running the cars. Me, Myself and I. I will try to get my brother into getting a car to race me. I wanted this car to take with me when I go camping in the desert. I take a bunch of planes, rockets, guns, quads and have a good ole time. I think the car will be a fun mid day item to play with.

I am wondering how these tires will grip on my granite dirt out here. it is hard packed with little rocks on top. What are some different tires and rims for the REVO?

I would like to change the way the batteries for the Tx are setup. There is no way to charge them while they are in the Tx. I may end up putting a pack in there and soldering in a plug so I can charge the pack s a unit instead of as single cells.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Clymer122693

First off welcome to the Dark Side .

New tires and rims, look no further then Pro-line Badlands and 17mm hexes (you didn't state if you have the 5309 or 5308 model so you may not need these) and then pick whatever MT size 17mm rim you want.

And this may help you with your idea on adding a rechargable pack.
http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=392991
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
blvdbuzzard

I am going to work on that his weekend. All of my other Tx's have charge jacks.

Well I just finished tank #3. It is starting to run better. Still way fat on the low end. Wants to load up after 5 second idle. The rich low end is making the mid range fat also. I have to say all I had to do was raise the idle screw 1/8 of a turn to get it to idle for the first start. It is starting to go up but not by much.

As I am doing the break in just as the directions say, I can understand the logic behind the way they want it broken in. It is meant to give the engine a good solid break in, yet it is also giving the new R/C person a good break in too. It teaches them how to do the throttle and breaks. You do not just slam the gas and hammer the breaks. the break in procedure is breaking in car, engine and driver.

The ground I am on is very slick. It gets side ways without effort. it may be a little bit better after the engine is run in, because I wont be worried about giving it throttle to power through the slide.

Even though I am only on tank #3, I have about as much run time on it as I did on the old Hobby Shack car. I can see this is going to be a quick little bounce machine. Should be lots of fun.

From the 5 first tries at starting, then raising the idle, the engine has only died once. It is running pretty rich on the low end. I opened the main needle about an 1/8 or so. It has been easy to do the run in so far. I should be able to do the final run in on Saturday evening. Can not wait to see this thing run like it is meant to.

Dru.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Evil Ernie

Throw me on the "hooked" pile. Just got my 4908 T-Maxx today. WOW what a monster this is!!! I've got the first break in tank finished and working on the second. It's SOOO hard to resist running it WOT!!! But, I keep my head about me and follow the directions like a good little boy...LOL!!! Now comes the hard part: Telling the wife that I just blew almost 400 on a new RC...I'll be sleeping on the back porch for awhile...
Old 11-01-2008, 05:14 PM
matts6887

Well my friend!; welcome back to the "dark side" again!!! good to see that u have gone back to nitro again. I think u will definitely see that ur investing in a revo 3.3 was definitely worth the $ u paid for everything!! It is one tough, durable truck!!! (and Im sure Im not the only one that will tell ya that). As far as breaking it in; just follow the good ole manual to a T and u should be good to go as far as that goes. Again welcome back to the wonderful world of nitro r/c!!! [8D]
Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
TMaxxDriver

blvdbuzzard and evilernie : CONGRATS on coming to the dark side... (it's more FUN here!!)

You both have gotten probably MY 2 FAVORITE machines... The possibilities are endless with what you can do to make it faster, more durable, flashy, etc... You have come to the right place for advice, tips, tricks, fun stories.. blah blah blah... all that good stuff...

one thing i am thinking of, since you are both breaking in still... remember to put the piston at BDC (bottom dead center) to ensure the pinch of your engine... Other than that, I cant think of anything else, but to tell ya, HAVE FUN AND BREAK AN ARM (A-ARM THAT IS!!!) [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
blvdbuzzard

Well I ran the rest of the break in tanks today. The engine started to give really erratic idles, it was high it was low. Super rich low end and mid range. It was hard to keep it going. Had to change the idle speed several times just to keep it going while I finished the tank. Tank 5 was about the same. I had to open the main needle 1/4 turn, it was starting to lean out on the top end. I started with about a 1/16th of a turn and kept opening it until it went to the rich side, then backed up a 1/16th of a turn. After I finished tank 5, I had the top end close. I had to lean out the low end almost 3/4 of a turn. The top end opened about 1/4 turn or so. It has just a touch rich low end and a clean top end.

It is easier to drive now that I can goose it through the turns. The breaks work pretty well too. I am pretty happy with the 3.3 right now. I know I only have 8 tanks through it so far, but it makes the REVO move out. I was launching it off the bank that I have on one side of my runway. It flies pretty well. I see lots of fun times ahead with this car.

Now here is the problem I am having, I have a truck, now I want a buggy. Damn, will it ever end????????????
Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 PM
camaross427

Well I ran the rest of the break in tanks today. The engine started to give really erratic idles, it was high it was low. Super rich low end and mid range. It was hard to keep it going. Had to change the idle speed several times just to keep it going while I finished the tank. Tank 5 was about the same. I had to open the main needle 1/4 turn, it was starting to lean out on the top end. I started with about a 1/16th of a turn and kept opening it until it went to the rich side, then backed up a 1/16th of a turn. After I finished tank 5, I had the top end close. I had to lean out the low end almost 3/4 of a turn. The top end opened about 1/4 turn or so. It has just a touch rich low end and a clean top end.

It is easier to drive now that I can goose it through the turns. The breaks work pretty well too. I am pretty happy with the 3.3 right now. I know I only have 8 tanks through it so far, but it makes the REVO move out. I was launching it off the bank that I have on one side of my runway. It flies pretty well. I see lots of fun times ahead with this car.

Now here is the problem I am having, I have a truck, now I want a buggy. Damn, will it ever end????????????
NOPE...IF YOU GET ONE rc..then u willl want another..then another after that..then another..and then guess what?..another!

trust me...everyone on here has that problem lol
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
matts6887

LOL!!! I definitely hear ya on this one!!! Don't we all wish we could have all the toys we want whenever we want!!!(or something like that lol) [8D]
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
dacaur

I think there is some sort of law of nature that prevents you from staying away from nitro..... I had a t-maxx in 2002(ish) and then sold it to get a suspension lift for my 1:1 jeep. When I moved to utah I found this forum and started checking it out, and thought "well, maybe I will get a mini... so I got a mini quake... then I heard about RC rock crawling and got a wheely king and turned it into a crawler... then I got a mini LST2 and thought "Well, thats enough, dont need any more" then the slash came out and I HAD to have one..... Then THAT was enough RC's trucks for me... Then I hear about the blade mico CX, and im back on a heli kick and HAVE to have one... So I save up my spending money, and have enough just as its released... so THE DAY im going to go to the hobby shop after work to pick it up, I was walking out the door and by buddy said "hey, you want to buy a couple T-maxx's?" .... Suddenly years of that little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me I wanted another nitro busted out of its prison and said YES.... So, now I get no blade CX, but I got one working t-maxx, and one crashed t-maxx...... Since then 100% of my spending money has gone to building up the crashed one Got a hardcore racing titanium extended chassis, replaced the destroyed steering, front bulkheads, and front skid... now all I need are some RPM arms to make it a widemax, a new engine (going for a TRX 3.3) and I will have TWO running maxx's..... Its always more fun with someone to drive with....

Oh, and I sold two electrics, the slash and wheely king, to finance the nitros

Nitro rules!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: dacaur

I think there is some sort of law of nature that prevents you from staying away from nitro..... I had a t-maxx in 2002(ish) and then sold it to get a suspension lift for my 1:1 jeep. When I moved to utah I found this forum and started checking it out, and thought "well, maybe I will get a mini... so I got a mini quake... then I heard about RC rock crawling and got a wheely king and turned it into a crawler... then I got a mini LST2 and thought "Well, thats enough, dont need any more" then the slash came out and I HAD to have one..... Then THAT was enough RC's trucks for me... Then I hear about the blade mico CX, and im back on a heli kick and HAVE to have one... So I save up my spending money, and have enough just as its released... so THE DAY im going to go to the hobby shop after work to pick it up, I was walking out the door and by buddy said "hey, you want to buy a couple T-maxx's?" .... Suddenly years of that little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me I wanted another nitro busted out of its prison and said YES.... So, now I get no blade CX, but I got one working t-maxx, and one crashed t-maxx...... Since then 100% of my spending money has gone to building up the crashed one Got a hardcore racing titanium extended chassis, replaced the destroyed steering, front bulkheads, and front skid... now all I need are some RPM arms to make it a widemax, a new engine (going for a TRX 3.3) and I will have TWO running maxx's..... Its always more fun with someone to drive with....

Oh, and I sold two electrics, the slash and wheely king, to finance the nitros

Nitro rules!!!
lol...

my $ is kind of like the letter...M...my $ goes up..reaches the top..then goes all the way down when i spend it on rc's lol....and that process repeats it's self over and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and over
again lol
Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have (2) nitro helicopters, (3) electric helicopters, (8) ready to fly nitro planes, (4) electric planes going now I have a car. My garage is packed with R/C toys plus lots of tools.

I hope they never come up with a R/C anonymous society, if they do I will be in real trouble. I can quiet any time I want to. Yeah, I can quiet any time. I just don't feel like it.

My brother and i built the runway, now it looks like I will need, yes it is a NEED to build a track. That will be fun in and of itself.

Dru.