Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

4 stroke t-maxx project

Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 stroke t-maxx project

That's what ThunderbirdJunkie was thinking.

Perhaps with a boat style belt starter?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

That's what ThunderbirdJunkie was thinking.

Perhaps with a boat style belt starter?
That actually does sound like a viable, but probably a "Workable" possibility....using a boat starter...
Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 PM
rcnitrohead

But Gonzo, have you ground down the crank that you took a picture of have you? It looks just like the regular cranks we use on the Traxxas engines for the E clips at the end of the shaft, I've never seen that on any 4-stroke. Could you link the place where you bought it from?

All assembled, that thing looks [email protected]$$. I kind of considered buying an RB for the project I'm working on, but many here say the quality makes it a POS even if the will work on a thumper. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

madbrad- For car applications, you would typically have to use a bump box like touring cars do, but he will mostly likely have to use some type of hand held rotary apparatus to spin the flywheel, at least he has easy access. I've been told these engines have super high compression, so you'd need some decent voltage for it, but I'm thinking something powered by a 7.2V battery should suffice for an engine of this size. I'll be using a 540 size on board electric motor to start mine straight from the engine bay, like an EZ starter, just lots bigger.

Tom.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 PM
matts6887

Sounds like its gonna be cool what u are doing too rcnitrohead; wouldnt mind seeing some pics of urs if u have any...[8D]
Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: madbrad70

How do you start it ?

thats going to be the next thing ill work out either i can do some kind of bump start set up or i can do a pully system kind of like a rc boat, mybee even use the one way bearing from the easy start system
Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
rcnitrohead

Well, I haven't started any mechanical construction with the exception of gathering minor parts, but I've been doing extensive body work as this is a scale model. Meaning its not built for speed even though I plan to have some, but rather for realism. A teaser of what all this will be going into- A 1985 (literally from that year, it costs a pretty penny now for the model) Iroc Z Camaro. This pic has only the major assemblies, no mirrors/ details installed.

Sorry for the hijack Gonzo,

Tom.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
matts6887

Cool camaro ya got there....like the all black....and yes sorry bout the "thread hijack" from me too...just was curious as to what it was that u had for a "project" there...he he
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
gonzobot

nice camaro i use to have a 1984 z28 it was a blast
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

But Gonzo, have you ground down the crank that you took a picture of have you? It looks just like the regular cranks we use on the Traxxas engines for the E clips at the end of the shaft, I've never seen that on any 4-stroke. Could you link the place where you bought it from?

All assembled, that thing looks [email protected]$$. I kind of considered buying an RB for the project I'm working on, but many here say the quality makes it a POS even if the will work on a thumper. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

madbrad- For car applications, you would typically have to use a bump box like touring cars do, but he will mostly likely have to use some type of hand held rotary apparatus to spin the flywheel, at least he has easy access. I've been told these engines have super high compression, so you'd need some decent voltage for it, but I'm thinking something powered by a 7.2V battery should suffice for an engine of this size. I'll be using a 540 size on board electric motor to start mine straight from the engine bay, like an EZ starter, just lots bigger.

Tom.
sorry dude you cant buy a crank like that. like i said, its the same crank it came with the c clip notch was done with a dremel cuting wheel
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
rcnitrohead

Wow, then you sir, have some fine dremeling skills. That looks so factory, I could have never guess without an explanation that you did that all by dremel. Ok, I guess I'm going back to looking for heli clutches, no way I can do it as well as you. Great job and thanks for the info Gonzo.

Tom.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
gonzobot

no problem.
first going into this i thought i would have to use a heli clutch ass well but had trouble finding one. let me know if you work something out
Old 12-06-2008, 02:31 PM
gonzobot

ok i figured out how im going to start it

after i finish making the mount for it, it will just be a matter of getting a roto start back plate and of course the roto starter its self....hopefully it will have enough torque to turn it over

Old 12-06-2008, 03:25 PM
rcnitrohead

Wow, that is wild! How will make up for the extra clearance on the shaft, and extra bushing/ huge spacer I presume? The only concern I'd have for that is if the plastic gears would hold up and if they would sap a significant amount of power from being rotated all the time, but it looks neat-O. The roto-start motor should have the power to spin in without problems, once you get past the 60's is probably when you start having torque problems. A member here told me that spinning a 56 size would be comparable to spinning a very tight pinched 2 stroke. The roto does that with no problems.

Tom.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
JB COMP

That little roto start will not have the power to turn a 4-stroke over.

This is what plane guys use to start the engines http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11753

and even those have some trouble starting the 4-strokes. With a bit starter like that you have to spin the engine backwards till you feel compression, that way when you start it, the engine spins 1 1/2 times before compression. If you don't these 4-strokes don't turn over.

I have a ofna chrome top starter box, and it would barely turn over my 4-stroke.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
gonzobot

i think ill drop the roto start idea and buy a pull start back plate the way if this set up doesnt work i wont be losing out out on that much much money.

here's another pic
Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 PM
matts6887

Man that is one crazy and wild setup u are gonna have there to say the least between the gearing, etc. and everything else, it should be a interesting "scenario" to say the least!! As for whether or not that roto start will have enough "power" to turn that big sucker over....well that might get a little more "interesting" as far as that goes because u might end up having to try and find something else because the roto start might not have enough "kick" to turn it over....either way that 4 stroke looks very sweet so far!!! [8D]
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Traxxassss fast!!!

Awsome,freaking great looking,that sucker is going to have a lot of torque though,witch is really gonna put were on all other drive train parts,still sweet though,looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35528.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1085599  
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: gonzobot

i think ill drop the roto start idea and buy a pull start back plate the way if this set up doesnt work i wont be losing out out on that much much money.

here's another pic

ok if you know where to get a pull start back plate for this engine than tell me where because i will be dropping one in my maxx asap
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
gonzobot

there isnt a starter plate for a fa40a. if you look in the pic, ive put a gear on the engine and a gear on the oneway bearing assemble what will conect to a trx 2.5 backplate.

ill be working out a mount for the starter tomorrow, so once im done ill let you guys know if the trx eletric start has enough grunt.. probable not buts its worth a try[&:]
Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 PM
JB COMP

ok if you know where to get a pull start back plate for this engine than tell me where because i will be dropping one in my maxx asap
No Airplane or heli engine comes with or can have a pull or roto start backpate put on it. Unless you mill one yourself, and drill into the crank and get a starting pin put in.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

No Airplane or heli engine comes with or can have a pull or roto start back plate put on it. Unless you mill one yourself, and drill into the crank and get a starting pin put in.

that was what i thought, the only reason i asked is because i dont really pay attention to the airplane stuff and people are always coming out with something new. you have to remember that os did have the fs40 in a pull start truck/buggy friendly version for a while. and it was pull start. i thought maybe someone else had decided to produce one. all in all it looks like a fun project, cant wait to see what the starting method that ends up working is. if someone was to make a pull start back plate for one of these they could probably make a nice profit from it. im sure people all over the hobby could use it for various applications.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
FRENCHBLUE72

That is wild I cant wait to see you get her running..
Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
matts6887

Looks sweet man!!!! yea, like I said before, the roto-start idea probably is not the greatest idea because it might not have enough "oomph" so to speak to turn that sucker over due to massive compression obviously...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
gonzobot

ok i made the starter mount today it was a bit of a pain in the ass but its finnaly done none the less and yes i know my welding skills suck XD doesnt help that i have a ****y hobbie arc welder
btw the eletric start from the 2.5 almost turns it over i was quite a surprised

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
t-maxxmaniac

looks great man, are you gona use the roto start? i dont think hpi rotostart has very much torque, in my experiance the losi spin start thing was slower, but had much more torque

also how are you gona cool it? a small computer fan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.