Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

FRAM high performance filter for R/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
MMT GUNS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FRAM high performance filter for R/C

But no mention of an accurate preview of the product like the Fram filter have, dosent say anything. the Fram filter you see here is been tested and they are sharing the results with us. K&N is a totally different company then Fram filters, I trust K&N filters on my full scale race car and quad racer but on my RC model for now I trust O.S filters lol

but I will try Fram in the near future. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to trust k and n with my life until I saw some comparisons on the net. Somebody did a test of full size filters and the k and n didn't do so good. AC delco was the best for flow and filtration. Also when you first buy a k and n hold it up to the light and you can see right through it. It doesn't start to filter well until its dirty and the holes get plugged.

The reality is these companies have taken over the market and because of that people think they are the best. For example walk into Kragen and you see a wall of orange fram oil filters and the fram oil filters are about as sh*tty as it gets. They pay those companies to stock their stuff... Just because it has a NASCAR badge on the box doesn't mean they run it on the car. Names like speedro, Holley, Edelbrock are a different story though.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM
twomanytoys

Just so you know K&N DOES NOT make filters for RC use. Those KN filters that you see for RC is actually a breather filter for crank case or valve covers on full size engines. They just happen to fit on rc carbs so people sell them that way. K&N does not advertise filters for rc applications. These DO NOT work on rc engines to filter. Supposed to be purely for looks no performance.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
twomanytoys

Fabricator is exactly right. I am a certified Master tech and can tell you without a doubt K&N is not the best. Yes race cars use them on the track but then you dont race 1/4 mile drag cars on dirt. So yes they flow the most in that application. Get that k&N on a dirt track and it will let all kinds of dirt past. I used to race 2 stroke motorcross and used K&N for a short while till I started seeing major wear on my pistons and seeing dirt in the boot to my carbs. I now use UNI filers or STOCK filters to prevent dirt from getting past.
AC Delco did flow and protect better than any filter on the market. If you can see light spots through the filter then its letting lots of dirt past. K&N filters are also not good for cars sensors. I get more problems with cars using K&N filters then using Stock filters. I actually take the customers K&N filter out and install a OEM filter once they come in with a check engine light on from clogged mass air flow meter. I have to educate the customer about the money they wasted and damage tehy caused.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

my filter from a 1985 atv is better than a k&n Lol..
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM
MMT GUNS

That's what I'm saying, K&N doesn't make filters for RC models. That's for full scale V8 engine (valve cover breather), but Fram has designed this filter for Revo and Jato plus they give us the way they tested the filter and the results, so wy not give it try? will see.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM
twomanytoys

Its hard for people to try something new from a company that has nothing to do with rc and knowing that there already is a tried and true filter like the motorsaver. Im sure someone will try the fram filter and say its great and all but I dont think it will be like a new fad. It just wont catch on.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 AM
NitroBobby

if you race on pavement only when it's a dry day, this filter is probably pretty good. however most people don't run under those conditions all the time. i have no confidence in a paper type filter when it gets wet. this is why a lot of people (myself included) run the foam type filters such as the motor savers. that is also why the foam type filter is included with new motors (well, they also cost a lot less). they provide better protection if they get water on them, which happens a lot. add some filter oil and you've got a great filter. pro racers, bashers, hobbyists, pretty much everyone uses the foam style filters so why try something new and un-proven? look at moto-x. the guys racing dirt bikes aren't using the paper style filters and those engines see a lot of the same types of conditions that out engines see. dirt, dust, water, etc.

you can give these filters a try in your mill. let us know how they work. me? i'm sticking with a motorsavers filter. i know they work. they aren't too expensive and thousands of hours of running by people all over the planet tell me they work. can Fram say that?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
STICK46

THIS FRAM FILTER DOES APEAR INTERESTING BUT LOOK CLOSE. I HAVE A HONDA 300 4 WHEELER THAT TAKES AN OIL FILTER THAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THIS. ALSO NOTICE ON THE END OF THE FILTER IT APEARS TO HAVE PAPER OR SOMETHING BLOCKING THE SMALL HOLE AND SAYS SPRING SIDE. THIS IS BECAUSE A SMALL SPRING HOLDS THE FILTER IN PLACE IN THE ATV ENGINE. MY DADS SUZUKI TAKES A FILTER ALMOST IDENTICAL. THEY SELL THESE AT WALMART FOR AROUND 6 BUCKS.
IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT OUT TAKE YOUR BREATHER TUBE TO WALLY WORLD TO THE ATV FILTER SECTION AND SEE WHAT FITS. IT HONESTLY MAY WORK WELL WITH A PREFILTER WHICH CAN ALSO BE EASILY MADE AT HOME. A FREIND BOUGHT A PRE FILTER FOR AN ATV. AFTER TAKING A GOOD LOOK I REALIZED I HAD SEEN THE SAME STRETCHY FABRIC AT HANCOCK FABRICS WHILE WAITING FOR MY WIFE. I WENT BACK AND BOUGHT SOME. SHE MADE ONE FOR MY ATV AND IT WORKS GREAT. IT KEEPS THE BIG TRASH OUT OF THE ELEMENT.
ALSO. K AND N IS TRASH. I RAN THEM IN THE PAST UNTIL I READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT DUST GETTING BY. I CHECKED MY TRUCK AND REALIZED I TOO HAD DUST IN MY INTAKE. I TOOK IT OUT AND TRASHED IT. I NOW RUN A LARGE PAPER ELEMENT.
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHAREWHAT I HAD SEEN.

DENNIS
Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM
keithinspace

No way. Crankcase or valve cover breather from car/motorcycle/ATV. That is nowhere near what an RC car needs. Not to mention that it weighs a ton and isn't worth a crap with a drop of water or OIL or FUEL on it.

Absolutely no point to changing from a lightweight foam/oil filter. Don't care what a lab paper says about something like this "filtering smoke" I can choke up my foam/oil filter to the point where my engine is running rich and chunks of caked on dirt are falling off the outside and the inside is still perfectly clean and red (from the Traxxas filter oil I use).

Proof's in the pudding. This type of filter is asking for trouble.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
MMT GUNS

Some pics of the FRAM filter is not like a regular cone filter so call K&N in the inside, is totally different. check out the vortex in the inside of the FRAM.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

Ya really Shouldn't use those or the K&N Paper Style Filter on RC's.......(Only takes a Small amount of Dust to kill the Piston and sleeve)
Im with sugarfree here on this one; I dont think I would trust the paper filters either becausae like he mentioned; it only takes a very amt of dirt entering past the filter one way or another to trash the piston, sleeve, and rod....and I just dont think the paper type filter like a fram is really meant for r/c vehicles because of what was just mentioned....they dont block dirt from entering properly from what i can see.....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
fabrimacator21

Acually it's the opposite... Paper filters will filter better then just about any other type filter. BUT when they get wet your screwed.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
STICK46

GUYS, THIS IS AN ATV OIL FILTER. GO TO WAL MART AND GET ONE. IT EVEN COMES WITH AN ORING FOR THE COVER ON THE ENGINE.
THIS IS NOT AN AIR FILTER AS SAID ABOVE. EVEN IF IT DID WORK IT WOULD BE TRASH WHEN WET.
AS FOR K&N THEY ARE TRASH AS FAR AS PROTECTING THE ENGINE. YOU DO GET MORE AIR THUS MORE POWER MY HARLEY WAS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THAT BUT I CHANGED IT OUT AFTER FINDING DUST IN MY CARB. MY TRUCK WAS THE SAME WAY. I HAD TO GET RID OF BOTH BECAUSE OF DUST. AND IT REALLY IS NOT VERY DUSTY HERE.
TRUST ME. IT IS A $6 ATV OIL FILTER.
GO TO WALLY WORLD AND LOOK UP TEH FILTER FOR A HONDA 300 ATV. THEY WILL HAVE IT.
IF YOU ARE USING THEM TRY TO GET A BETTER DEAL.
DENNIS
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
thesouth1

STICK46 (Dennis),
Please stop typing in all caps. Its hard to read and is considerd yelling here on the forums.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
kersplat

Guys, remember one thing, These dry filters may work well on full scale engines etc, but understand that the glow engines have closer tollerances that far exceed full scale engines. There is no substitute for a wet air filter with oil on it.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
MMT GUNS

So far the filter design is cool to me I wont use-it till summer gets here or better weather conditions. This filter is going on on my T-Maxx O.S .18 CVRX for that extra protection Ill use a thin foam filter wet in oil in the inside of the FRAM when used on dirt. If the foam filter comes out dirty I will dispose of the FRAM filter immediately but if it dosent, well you know is a good.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Reading his thread, I feel like I just sat through an infomercial.

My philosophy has always been why fix what isn't broken?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
MMT GUNS

Good philosophy but I'm still trying it to see how well it performs. I know there's better filters out there but who knows how this one turns out to be. All I can say for now is that the FRAM filter dosent look like the (K&N) cone type filter at all, at least what FRAM design is for.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Sugafree

That's gotta be the Crappiest "Designed " Air filter for a RC I've ever seen......how do you even Attach it to your Truck?
Drive in a Little Snow/Water or Dirt and see how long your Engine Last

I put 5 Tanks threw my truck today in the Snow and deep puddles, my Motorsaver kept the foams Dry & not so much as a spec of dirt to be found

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

Reading his thread, I feel like I just sat through an infomercial.

My philosophy has always been why fix what isn't broken?
Good philosophy but I'm still trying it to see how well it performs. I know there's better filters out there but who knows how this one turns out to be. All I can say for now is that the FRAM filter dosent look like the (K&N) cone type filter at all, at least what FRAM design is for.
Saywhat?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
kersplat

GreenRacer, Your AVATAR, Is that your dog? Real cute.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 PM
GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: kersplat

Yeah, she's my little boxer monster. Loves anything R/C.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: kersplat

Yeah, she's my little boxer monster. Loves anything R/C.

I luv Boxers, they are sweet and energetic.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
MMT GUNS

I'm not saying that my filter is better than yours lol I didn't invent this thing, have you tried Fram filter before? I guess not, jumping into conclusion without trying it first is not progressive. this is not a filter debate of witch is better filter, I found the info and I brought it to you guy's so you can check it out (whats NEW on the market?). I respect your opinion and definitely know your filter might be better than all other filters around but thats old new now.

When I get done with the Vortice-BR review I'll test the filter and let you guy's know how good or trash it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.