Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Best Price on a 3.3, or similar motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
C.rusak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Price on a 3.3, or similar motor

Hey I was just wondering what kind of prices you have seen for the traxxas 3.3. Most that i see the go for around a 100$. Been in a squeeze lately working on my s 10 and all the parts have drained my account. Well anyhow Ive been working on my T Maxx geting it all setup for racing this spring and was wondering wat you guys thought of the 3.3? And no im not buying a revo, i dont care for them and i believe with the right applications the maxx will keep up with the revo. But anyhow if i dont get a 3.3, I have been looking at other motors like os. Just let me know what you guys think and give me some estimates on prices? Thanks ahead of time
Corey
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Straick

Default RE: Best Price on a 3.3, or similar motor

I'd save up the money I can and get another OS. Just don't run Traxxas fuel through it. I've had a lot of good running on mine, and it will last longer than the traxxas motors will last. I'm in the same boat with the same 1:1 truck. What year and engine is in yours?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would go with the o.s. because overall the o.s. is gonna last longer than the 3.3 probably; although, I have heard of some traxxas engines lasting unusually long(like 10+ gallons if they were taken care properly and were very well maintained); but even with that, I would probably still go o.s. because o.s. engine tend to be able to be tuned very easily, and those engines(o.s.) hold their needle settings very well. As for prices, Im not totally 100% sure of prices; but I think u should be able to get that engine fro around 200 give or take(I think but dont quote me on that)...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Cheapest way to get a 3.3....

What *I* do is buy a new crankcase (w/bearings) for cheap on ebay, and a used no compression 3.3. I then have the sleeve resized (rayaracing.com) and put it all together. I've done this for several engines, never a problem. And hey, TRX motors get a bad rap mostly because of the carb used. Stock carb for the trx's are made of a composite material that expands at a different temperature than the aluminum, causing a very small air leak which throws off the tune and overheats your motor. OFNA .25/.26 carburetor is a direct fit and faaaaar superior to the trx stock. Put one of those on your 2.5/3.3, use a decent fuel, and it's a completely different engine.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
C.rusak

Well anyhow I got the T Maxx 2.5, not sure of the year(picked it up cheap for 90$ at a flea market). Anyhow i dont care for traxxas fuels, and have been running Trinity monster horse power 20% and my motors run awesome. I bought the fuel origionaly for one of my sirios in another car, but no im hooked on it and plan on using it from here on out. I have been leaning towards os but i dont want to go big block but i want it to be a close comparison to the 3.3, power and rpm wise. So anywho wats the best of the os small blocks for my application and could you possibly give me a price range for a new one. I would pick a used os but ive had my fare share of used motors from ebay and dont wanna go down that road again.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Xtrm302

ATTN GREEN RACER: Can you find me a link on the ofna carb you use on the TRX engine! ( OFNA .25/.26 carburetor ) Thanks