Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Considering a new nitro truck...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Brandon4164
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new nitro truck...

I found the awesome hobby of rc's through a friend and I bought a rc10gt in 2005 and it broke every time i turned the motor on. I did no stunts I just ran it up and down the road and every time it broke.... So I decided to get another one in 2006 and I picked the Duratrax Warhead Evo. Well the same results came the turnbuckles broke of the slipper cluth and things like the gears were plastic and were junk and they burnt all the little plastic teeth off. I was considering a new 4wd truck that is nitro and I was just wondering...are all nitro trucks such a pain in the butt?????? Which mt would be the best (4wd and nitro)?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
superman11

Default RE: Considering a new nitro truck...

A revo, nice and strong, sturdy, good truck, back by a great warranty of Traxxas.

P.S. Nice Pic, lol
<-
<-
<-
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
gettnbetter

I beat the heck out of my Revo and it holds up quite well. It has a great solid design. I've heard the Savage is equally reliable for bashing but I have no experience with HPI products.

I've heavily modified the thing and it literally never breaks. I did have a little issue with the exhaust header last week, flew off a 30' hill and it landed on it's butt... We used a little epoxy puddy and in a half hour was back driving again! lol

If I forget to check everything stuff breaks.. Plastic spurs strip if the mesh isn't right, sharp rocks tear off suspension arms etc.. etc..

Yea, big nitro can be a pain but I don't think I'd be happy with a silent electric.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Novarider

I have a revo 3.3 and all I have broken is an a arm but I knew they would brake so I had rpm ones just waiting on the stock to brake. I gotta say it's a pretty tough truck
Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I have had several nitro's and my Savage has been awesome. The revo will be a good truck too though. Just expect to have some problems out of any of them, and obviously, the more you wreck or make bad jumps, the more you will have problems. Take your time, keep up with maintenance and learn to swerve for those immobile objects, and you will be good to go
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

HPI Savage all the way. It is a tough basher truck. The revo would be better for racing on a track.
Doing monster jumps is the savage's specialty.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Brandon4164

Could I mudbog a revo or a savage without destroying the elctronics and things?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Brandon4164

Yes I have tried electric and I hate it because it has no noise =D
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
gettnbetter

You can mudbog a Revo Platinum, they come with waterproof everything. Or you could get a Slayer and do a quick Revo mod on it (longer suspension arms, shafts, linkages and tires etc..).. Not too costly.

I don't believe the standard Revo comes with waterproof anything.

Then again, water and mud and RC cars = dead car pretty quick ahah
Old 05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur with the responses that said the Revo and the Savage. I have the 3.3 Revo; and its been a great all around truck for me. Ive bashed the living u know what outta it and it just keep coming back for more. However, the Savage from what Ive seen and heard, is also a EXCELLENT basher of a truck. Both Traxxas and HPI make excellent products. But the choice is obviously totally up to you as to what route u decide to go...good luck on deciding man.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Brandon4164

Stuck between wich truck to get....Revo...or Savage
Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

I don't own either, but I do plan on getting the Savage XL.........

I've done alot of research on both, the savage is by far alot bigger and a tougher basher, the only thing I feel the revo has on the savage is speed, but since I'm mainly a basher speed isnt that important......... For the price of each I think you get more for your money with the savage, Its less then a 100 bucks more then revo:

1. Savage is 1/8, revo 1/10 = +1 for savage
2. Savage is known to be more durable then revo, I hear more people use the revo to race then bash (I'm a basher) = +2 for savage
3. Savage has a higher ground clearance and has a 3spd tranny (I love the sound of an rc when it shifts), the revo is lower and is a 2spd = +3 for savage
4. Overall the Savage just seems to be the better of the two (this is just my opinion), and I feel I'll have more fun with the savage by far then the revo = ME BUYING A SAVAGE
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 PM
scarletboa

ORIGINAL: Brandon4164

the savage x 4.6 rtr is the best choice for you IMO. they are EXTREMELY durable, the engine is very powerful, doesn't need any upgrades to bash well, is easy to work on, has a pretty solid driveline, and will give you the least amount of issues. if you wanna race at a track, the revo is a better choice and requires less mods to race well. if you wanna bash, SAVAGE ALL THE WAY!

edit: the revo's stock engine is finicky to tune, runs hot, and will likely not last long. i have both the trx 2.5 and the 3.3. neither are very good. the savage's stock engine is one of the better .28s out there and they typically last 10+ gallons when treated right. also, a savage will have much more torque and will wheely on cammand.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Brandon4164

Yea I'm going with savage hopefully...Well if my xbox 360 sell on ebay goes for enough...I do no racing on tracks just drive in empty lots around my house... Thanks for some goood info!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Brandon4164

Thanks for some good info! lol
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
gettnbetter

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

ORIGINAL: Brandon4164

the savage x 4.6 rtr is the best choice for you IMO. they are EXTREMELY durable, the engine is very powerful, doesn't need any upgrades to bash well, is easy to work on, has a pretty solid driveline, and will give you the least amount of issues. if you wanna race at a track, the revo is a better choice and requires less mods to race well. if you wanna bash, SAVAGE ALL THE WAY!

edit: the revo's stock engine is finicky to tune, runs hot, and will likely not last long. i have both the trx 2.5 and the 3.3. neither are very good. the savage's stock engine is one of the better .28s out there and they typically last 10+ gallons when treated right. also, a savage will have much more torque and will wheely on cammand.
Some if this is not true, Revo's do not run hot and last just as long than any other truck. I bought mine the day it was released and it's still the most reliable truck on the bashing grounds. I've put 7 gallons through it now and it's still kickn just as good as the savages .28.

You are quite correct about the Savage being exremely durable, it's a wonderful truck. I do run circles around them every time I see one though ahah!! All in good fun