Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-maxx vs. Revo vs. Jato...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-maxx vs. Revo vs. Jato...???

I currently have a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I live in the country and i just cant get any traction at all with this vehicle in the dirt around the house, while i know if i am still running the stock tires which dont help at all, i think i would be better fit with a 4wd truck. I have had people offer T-maxxes and Revos, and personally i can't see the big difference between the two. I mainly want this truck to run out in the yard, do some jumps, climb hills, traverse opstacles, ect.... but i also would like to eventually get into racing at my local hobby shop. Also, with my jato the brake response is just horrible(again i know it is stock and there are upgrades, i just havent gotten around to doing any) and i would like to know which of these trucks have the most responsive braking, or would i have to expect to upgrade them also to get good response. I have seen that the revo sells for about $100 more than the t-maxx, why? Are the parts for a revo more expensive than a t-maxx? I'm sorry if it seems i have just rambled but i am typing this in a hurry, so to sum up, which truck seems to be more suiting to my needs? Is one tougher than the other? Is there a big difference between the 2.5 and 3.3 versions of each truck(my jato is a 3.3)? I thank you for all your input and look forward to hearing everyones responses!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:21 PM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: T-maxx vs. Revo vs. Jato...???

Well if you plan on racing in the future i would go with the revo do to the fact that it is a more capable racer and it will do all the things you said you wanted to do. The t-maxx will take a few bucks to make it into a racer and even after that it wont be the greatest. The Revo is a great truck and does both bash and race with ease. I have a t-maxx but have driven the revo that the other guys out here in iraq have and i like the way they handle. As for the brakes depends on what you are trying to accomplish i know on your jato its 2wd so it only applies brakes to the rear tires. The Revo and maxx apply to all four wheels. They even make a brake conversion kit for the revo to adjust front and rear brakes to what suits you. Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
BrandonFox28

Jato's in my opinion are pretty much useless. And those street tires are not helping your traction one bit. I would go with the Revo 3.3. If you can wait till November, there are rumors of a new Revo .26 from Traxxas.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM
FreakBoy

The T-maxx 3.3 (4908) is not soo bad.. I like it.. But i have not drive the REVO but it looks like a fsdbhhd monster trucks should be TALL so i think the T-maxx is more like a monstertruck..

The Tmaxx are good in every way.. but the Revo may be better i don`t know.. But i will stand with the Tmaxx ^^
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
jikkuria

i love both my t-maxx and my revo, though i loved my jato most. but i has huge lots and streets to drive my jato. of the reo and the t-maxx, i believe the revo id the way to go, as you said you want to ace later on. my t-maxx handles like a tank, but i have never broken parts like other people complain about. i have been able to see cracks in my bulks for year, and it's fine. my revo handles alot better than my t-maxx, as it sits lover to the ground, and has alot of suspension travel. parts for the revo aren't more expensive than the t-maxx, but like you said the initial cost is higher, but there is more there. it has 2 steering servos, a more complicated chassis "plate", and a reveiver pack that you can charge while it's in the truck. plus it is very bigblock compatible. the differences between the 2.5 and 3.3 versions of the two are more than just the motor. on the revo, the 3.3 chassis is longer, which is said to give it better handling. on a side note i needed a new chassis for my 3.3 revo, and ordered one at my lhs. they sent me a 2.5 chassis, which i didn't notice till i had everything but the front end hooked up. all the stretch is in the front end, as i had to gut the front drive shaft and not the back.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
DS

Try some traxxas talons in the dirt or bowties  or dirthawgs on the jato, I have a 3.3 jato and love it yes traction is a problem but adjust the slipper clutch and try new tires.  I have a jato and my dad has a 3,3 maxx both are fun to drive but I like my jato more cause its 2wd.  Revo has an inboard shock system it offers superb handling and suspension travel compared to the maxx suspension system. The difference between the 2.5 and 3.3 trucks are the engines and chassis length
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: T-MAXXRich

Well if you plan on racing in the future i would go with the revo do to the fact that it is a more capable racer and it will do all the things you said you wanted to do. The t-maxx will take a few bucks to make it into a racer and even after that it wont be the greatest. The Revo is a great truck and does both bash and race with ease. I have a t-maxx but have driven the revo that the other guys out here in iraq have and i like the way they handle. As for the brakes depends on what you are trying to accomplish i know on your jato its 2wd so it only applies brakes to the rear tires. The Revo and maxx apply to all four wheels. They even make a brake conversion kit for the revo to adjust front and rear brakes to what suits you. Hope this helps.
The "rear brake kit" your reffering to for the revo is only needed if you have a center diff. Without the rear brake kit it would only brake the front wheels (when running a center diff).

Also I saw someone said the revo is lower to the ground which isn't true.

The revo is just a better handling truck and has more travel thanks to it's suspension setup. However I run a highly modded max and I honestly don't think revo's are ALL that great. I've watched a bunch of them run and I don't see what the fuss is about... maybe a little better handling then a max but nothing to write home about. If you have the money then go revo...

I personally like the way my maxx handles... very predictable. I do have traxxas big bores which help alot though. I'm probably just used to the way it handles and don't want to "re-learn" handling characteristics. However driver is 99% of a trucks ability to win races.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM
cattrucking

the t maxx is better at bashing and you would want to race a revo
Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
ajb1205

A Revo can do anything the T-Maxx can do only, IMHO, a bit better. You can lift it up for a true monster truck look or lower it right to the ground for on-road runs. The shocks are in-board so damaging them is very difficult compared to the T-Maxx's traditional shock setup. Really, either way you choose you will love the truck...you just get a bigger bang for your buck with the Revo....just my $0.02.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Shi-Maxx

I have a T Maxx And i have to say i love it. I have driven a REVO and i still like the Maxx way better. But im just a Basher so i dont know as far as racing goes. I have herd that the REVO is a grate racer but if you want an all around good basher then get a Maxx 3.3. I havent Had Manny problums with it. Just broke steering linkage and 1 A aftrer hitting a pole in my back yard. Knock on wood lol! 
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
cattrucking

lets have a drag race stock and wheelie contenst stock
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
nitrostam
My Feedback: (1)

i do like traxxas
but i hate the t-maxx i had one for about a week and im sold it on ebay
it broke so easy its not even funny
revo is ok my friend has one
it breakes in weird ways he ran his into a brick wall going 40 and it just bounced off and kept on goingand he jumped like 1 foot in the air and broke a push rod

what i would try is gearing you revo down
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
BurninValves

I have had a Revo since they came out. Have had a t-max for 3 years, 3 savages, an lst and an aft by Losi. The revo is pretty durable, I am getting a new revo soon, only thing i had problems with were shock and pushrod ends breaking. Other than that it was pretty solid. The T-max on the other hand was a bit more fragile A-arms and bulkheads and a few bent shocks but bothe are fun. I would have to say out of the 3 trucks you mentioned..... Revo, hands down.