Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

EZ Start Blue Wire and Glow Plug?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
RCWSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Start Blue Wire and Glow Plug?

Can the blue wires from the EZ-Start system go bad or short out? The one that heats the glow plug? I noticed today that the green light for the glow plug on the starter worked sometimes and did not others. When I would wriggle the wire it seemed that the green light would go on once in a while.

I am wondering if it could be a bad glow plug. I tried several plugs and they all seemed to do the same thing.

So a question about glow plugs: Can they work once in a while and not at other times? I thought that when they went bad, they were bad. Or can they run for a few minutes, cut out and not run for a few minutes and then work again a few minutes later? My truck, twice today, just cut off at a totally random time. Would not start for a few minutes and then all the sudden would work again.

How often do glow plugs go bad? I know it depends how much you drive but is it rather common? I have been using the same plugs for a very long time with no issues.

I know that the blue wire question is one issue and the glow plug is or can be another. I understand that the blue wire does not heat the plug while the truck is running.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
ReaperGN

Default RE: EZ Start Blue Wire and Glow Plug?

I bet your wire is going bad.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM
almaidah

from what i understand it seams like you might have a short in your wire and your glow plug i believe when its bad its bad. the easy starts are funny sometimes on my old jato the easy start dont work for the glow plug so i use a igniter and the easy start thing but on my new 4 tec it works great so i would say a short in the wire if you tried different glow plugs
Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

Try to check the yellow wire as well, the one connected to the engine casing. As it is the ground for the glow plug lighter. Make sure it is clean and all the connectors are tight.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 AM
RCCanuck

try a new plug....and snip the blue wire and just use a hand held ignitor you will get much more reliable starts
Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
DaveG55

There is a big difference between a "short" circuit and an "open" circuit. What you probably have is a broken wire inside the insulation, This makes an open circuit, not a short. The blue wire is replaceable and it's easy and inexpensive to do. Do check the yellow ground wire as well.
I like the convenience of the single wand. As long as the engine is kept in a decent tune and a good, charged battery is used on a maintained system you will get reliable starts.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
cenracer1

Replace the blue wire.. I was running my T-maxx yesterday and the first tank ran fine... after running a few other cars, I went to refire the tmaxx and it didn't fire right up.. checked the green light and one was lit but the other wasn't.. I carry a spare wire and also a glow starter.. just pulled off the wire and hit it with the glow starter... fired right up.. when I got home I checked the wire on meter and it was bad.. I stripped off the blue insulation and the wire was cracked where it exits the body around the head... the vibrations will break the wire eventually... replaced with new and good as new.... They don't last forever but sure are easy to use when they are working....
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
jbrown_101

I agree with cenracer1..i bought this dynamite glow plug lead wire for my maxx andi will never look back!. although it is a couple bucks more for this better dynamite one it is well worth it. it took me about 10 seconds to start my maxx with the old blue wire and it takes about 4 now, it heats the plug more efficently and quicker, also has a much better structure than the coil on the traxxas one.

[link]http://www.rcsuperstore.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=DYN7682[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63680.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1279768  
Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 AM
cenracer1

That a nice one.. I still use my original hot shot glow igniter that I've had for years.... I don't use it too much but I take it with me all the time just in case... its better than the squeeze plunger type which fall apart after a bunch of use... this is a twist on type.. nothing to break.... They are used alot on planes which shake the hell out of the engine and the cheaper ones fall off...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 AM
RCWSO

I really like the look of that dynamite glow plug wire. It is funny because I was thinking of how I could build on that would be more durable.

What do you think if I take the connector on the back of the blue wire that goes to the harness, put a new/more durable wire and then use an alligator clip on the other to connect to the glow plug? Will an alligator clip work or will it not have enough of a connection? Although, my blue wire doesn't have all that much of a connection right now anyway.

Thoughts?

I may give it a try just to see how it works. I think I have an alligator clip or two around and it would only take a few minutes to attempt.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
ChaosEngine

A pull start and igniter work just fine too

When my blue wire turned to crud on me, I bought an igniter, then when my easy start was working only part time, I replaced it with a pull start.

It frees up a noticeable amount of weight too [8D]
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: ChaosEngine

A pull start and igniter work just fine too

When my blue wire turned to crud on me, I bought an igniter, then when my easy start was working only part time, I replaced it with a pull start.

It frees up a noticeable amount of weight too [8D]
All true but I really hate pull starts.
Got two boats and one car with them and all start quickly - but I still hate them.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
RCWSO

I built my own "blue" wire today with an alligator clip and some heavier "black" wire. It works like a champ. The clip grabs on and doesn't let go. I know it will fall off if it flips and lands on the clip, but no big deal. Just pinch and put on again. I am happy with it and will let you know if I have any issues. So far, so good for an easy homemade "blue" wire.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: RCWSO

I built my own ''blue'' wire today with an alligator clip and some heavier ''black'' wire. It works like a champ. The clip grabs on and doesn't let go. I know it will fall off if it flips and lands on the clip, but no big deal. Just pinch and put on again. I am happy with it and will let you know if I have any issues. So far, so good for an easy homemade ''blue'' wire.

Which "MacGyverism" is this? LOL nice fix though
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
cenracer1

I will never go back to a pull start... I will use a Rotostart at the very least and I don't really care for them either... Bump start or EZ start are the best... How much weight are you really saving? 2-3 oz in a 7 LB truck.. unless you are a hardcore racer, why bother... If you think it makes you faster, it doesn't... the drag of the one way bearing causes more drag than the weight of the starter.. either EZ or pull start... As for the wire fix...like I said before.. I carry around a Hot shot and extra blue wires if needed.. but the blue wire last a good amount of time anyway... Nice idea with the clips... I have a few broken wires that I can save a few $$$ with that tip...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

I have removed the blue and yellow wire from my EZstart harness and use the motor to turn it and an igniter to fire it, works great for me. I hear of alot of people complaining about the motors crappin out. I blow mine out and oil them on a regular basis and have never had a problem 1. As far as the weight, well i think that has been announced, not much weight there at all considering LOL
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
cenracer1

I have 2 ez starts and have never had a motor go bad.. my friend had one crap out but it was contaminated by dirt from bashing.. I have 2 BNIB units that I've had for over 2 years waiting to be used... I guess someday.. cleaning them when cleaning the car is usually all it needs...
Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM
ReaperGN

Ditch the ez start. You will learn to notice the compression. If something leaks or breaks you will feel it with the pull start. Electric start is just a waste. It can break easier, looks terrible, makes you look lazy, is more prone to causing the one way bearing to go out, and is just excess wight.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 PM
RCWSO

I know everyone has their opinion of the EZ-Start system. I am a believer and will continue with the EZ-Start. I certainly don't care about the way an EZ-Start looks on my truck. I also don't care about the weight, as it has been proven that for this truck, it doesn't matter. I enjoy the ease of use. I know it has issues, but so does a pull start, roto start and any other starting system. There is no one fool proof system. I know the blue wire may take some energy from the batter etc. Well, I was one that carried a glow ignitor in my pocket for a while and was convinced by someone on this forum and thread to just use the system for what it is. I now carry the one wand and am good to go. Yes, I have had a few issues but again, who doesn't.

I find it hard to believe that a major RC building company like Traxxas would build a system like the EZ-Start and keep putting them in the trucks over and over again to simply have it break, not work, or be unreliable all the time. If that was the case, Traxxas is a good enough company, that they would have ditched it themselves years ago.

As mentioned, each has their own opinion. For someone that likes to go out and run it with the kids and for fun, the EZ-Start is for me. That includes the blue wire. Maybe someday when I put a different motor in it my truck, I will go with something else. As for now, I will continue with the EZ-Start.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM
ReaperGN

It's giving you problems. Get rid of it and the problems will be gone.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 AM
RCWSO

ReaperGN,

So what do you suggest?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM
ReaperGN

I prefer the pull start. The trick is getting one with a decent handle. Combine it with a large hobby grade battery with a glow plug lead. There is no charging, the battery lasts for months, and if you use a twist lead it wont wear out and become loose. Its small, simple, and almost fool proof.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM
cenracer1

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

Ditch the ez start. You will learn to notice the compression. If something leaks or breaks you will feel it with the pull start. Electric start is just a waste. It can break easier, looks terrible, makes you look lazy, is more prone to causing the one way bearing to go out, and is just excess wight.

Obviously You've never used and ezstart.... are a serious hardcore racer... don't know the first thing about tuning and engine or just want to post something for the sake of getting your post count up... let me disect your silly reply....

"You will learn to notice compression" Hmmmm let me think...Its spinning really fast... I wonder if I lost compression... Sure do wish I had a pull starter on my engine so I could be sure...

"If something leaks or brakes you will feel it with the pull starter" Reply: You will with the EZ start as well.. It won't work...

" Electric start is just a waste" Reply... waste to who.. You...I think its one of the best ideas in r/c to come around in years and I've been doing this since the mid 80's... I guess all those airplane guys are wasting their time using electric starters on their planes instead of the chicken stick... do you know what that is????

"It can break easier" Once again you have no idea what you are talking about!!!! the pull start breaks the easiest.. how many ropes and springs have you gone thru.. Isn't it just alot of fun replacing the broken rope or rewinding the spring on the pull starter while everyone else is out there running their trucks...

"looks terrible" I have no comment to this one... but I must admit its very fashionable and cool to have a pull start handle dangling outside the body of the truck or getting wrapped around a linkage or axle....

"makes you look lazy" Oh yeh.. I would rather break a sweat and fight to start an engine because I don't want to be perceived as lazy... actually.. most people who see how easy it is to start an engine wish they had something like that in theirs...

"more to causing the one way bearing to go out" We've covered this before.. go back and read the post... the one way goes bad for two reasons... age and too much oil on the bearing itself... age you can't control... Too much oil on the bearing... refer back to proper maintainance of a nitro engine...

"too much weight... Hey.. guess what!!!! you got me on that one... It weighs a whopping 1.5oz more than a pull starter.. I just weighed mine against an old one I had laying around... I guess in the overall scheme of things.. 1.5 oz is alot on a 7-8lb truck... especially when you've added all that extra go fast aluminum to it and dragged the weight over 10lbs... but blame the 2.7 oz EZ start because your truck is slow....

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM
cenracer1

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

I prefer the pull start. The trick is getting one with a decent handle. Combine it with a large hobby grade battery with a glow plug lead. There is no charging, the battery lasts for months, and if you use a twist lead it wont wear out and become loose. Its small, simple, and almost fool proof.

You are contradicting your previous post... Who wants to carry a large 12V hobby grade lead acid battery around as well as a glow plug lead... You won't look lazy, maybe a bit silly.... JMO I can't see where that would make anything easier...

You also mentioned getting one with a decent handle... You are really showing the shortcomings of the pull starter...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
RCWSO

cenracer1 ,

Thanks for your replies above. I am still going with the EZ-Start. I still believe, even though I am not an expert, that the EZ-Start is a great thing to have. As mentioned before, I cannot believe a large company would put so much time and effort into a system they wanted people to ditch and replace.

I was just trying to see what ReaperGN suggests if he is so against the EZ-Start system. I thought about a pull start for along time but was convinced by some very experienced drivers to keep the EZ-Start. Now there is debate between the blue wire or a glow ignitor. I am not 100% on if I will use an ignitor or not. I have in the past and liked it to a degree. It was a D Cell one that didn't seem to work so well. Maybe I should give a better brand a shot.

Just out of curiosity, you mention you have blue wires and a hot shot. What do you use on a normal basis? Do you use the blue wire as your default or the hot shot?

RCWSO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.