Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

cant get tmaxx to start

Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 AM
aussiexl59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get tmaxx to start

hey guys,got a mates tmaxx here and cant get it to start.glow plug is ok and its getting fuel.lsn is 2 and a half turns out and hsn is 4 turns out.ive tried a few different settings but it wont even try to fire.can anyone help?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 AM
RCCanuck

Default RE: cant get tmaxx to start

what are you using to start it? the Ez start? check to see that the blue wire is actually making the glow plug glow....if using a hand held ignitor check the batts....are you actually getting fuel at the glow plug?....is this a new truck? if so try heating the head up with a hair dryer and loosen the glow plug just a bit as soon as it fires tighten it back up...hope that helps
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 AM
aussiexl59

hey bud,its not new hey.it had a prang and he replace a wheel.when i checked it out for him the motor had shifted and the spur gear was tight.i reseated the motor,am using hand held ignitor.turns over great,plenty of compression but it wont fire up...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 AM
RCCanuck

ok I don't know what a prang is?....is the LSN adjustment screw flush with the barrel housing?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 AM
aussiexl59

prang is aussie slang for crash bro...ive tried lsn and hsn in a few different settings.havent tried loosening glow plug but im goin to tomoz.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
RCCanuck

awww gotcha.....try pulling the fuel line off of the pipe and blowing into it to prime the carb as well.....sometimes the carbs have a hrd time pulling fuel until they actually start combustion then the exhaust pressure waves take care of it.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
ajb1205

Maybe check just to make sure your clutch isn't engaging (broken arm,. spring, etc). Have you tried starting it with the wheels off the ground? I had a nasty crash a while back and it destroyed my clutch. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 PM
aussiexl59

tried blowin fuel line hey.clutch does have a chunk out of it...should stil start tho hey?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:39 AM
p00hbear

The motor should be able to run without the clutch assembly on the crank at all (so long as the flywheel is still attatched)... But what was mentianed before, if the clutch is damaged in a certain way it will rub the bell housing cuaing the motor to stall out or not have enough momentum to keep running. Iwould double check your carb settings; take it back to oem 4- 4.5 turns out high speed and flush iwth the barrel housing on low speed. Also have you tride starting it with its wheels off the ground? that will tell you if somthing is binding up on your drivetrain.. Also verify that your glow plug is GOOD, not just lighting up but its nice and hot, if not replcae it.... MAke sure all your EZ staart wiring is good, if you have acces to a glow plug ignitor try using that instead... What kind of fuel are you using? did you recently switch? are you using at least 20? Do you have a fuel filter, if so is it dirty? make sure there is no dirt in the carb cloggin things up... you can take teh high speed needle out and wipe the crud off of it with some isopropal alcohol or somthing equivilant that wont leave residue... make sure your fuel lines are also clean...
Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 PM
aussiexl59

ok...tried everything u have said poohbear except tryin to start it with the wheels of the ground,which im gonna try...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 PM
p00hbear

Yeah your next step is to inspect the motor's internals... There are 3 things that it can be.. your gas, electrical, or mechanical... If you did what I said to do you basically eliminated the gas being an issue and the electircal being the issue so only thing left left is a mechanical problem with the motor...
Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Get a torch and inspect the glow plug real closely, see if the coil wire is snapped / broken, deep in the glow plug hole.A glow plug can be brand new and have this fatal fault, had a couple like it over the years, might save an engine pull down...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
aussiexl59

well it turned out to be bad fuel.i didnt write dow the needle settings can anyone out there please give me an idea on the low n high speed settings?