Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Aluminum vs RPM Witch 1 is better ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
masshole
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum vs RPM Witch 1 is better ???

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

yes u must be right im going to replace every thing with plastic. because plastic is so strong wonder if i can get a plastic 3.3 piston connecting rod?

dammmmm, wonder if ya can get plastic heads for my 302 cleveland because plastic is so much better
well your point holds no water max..... parts that get during their use increase in temperature such as the aforementioned con rod or 8 valve v8 head, if replaced with plastic these would melt!!! but for applications where during use the item does not increase in thermal degrees then i think the jury is still out for me and i would assume some others on this site.

Please compare apple to apples not apples to oranges!!!!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: m*******

yes u must be right im going to replace every thing with plastic. because plastic is so strong wonder if i can get a plastic 3.3 piston connecting rod?

dammmmm, wonder if ya can get plastic heads for my 302 cleveland because plastic is so much better
well your point holds no water max..... parts that get during their use increase in temperature such as the aforementioned con rod or 8 valve v8 head, if replaced with plastic these would melt!!! but for applications where during use the item does not increase in thermal degrees then i think the jury is still out for me and i would assume some others on this site.

Please compare apple to apples not apples to oranges!!!!

he doesn't seem to understand that concept[:@]
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

lol this is a joke, im over it, look i really dont care anymore & i feel this is going NOWHERE, lets just say when u have a group of people that can hide behind there computer, they aint all going to agree. Ive had more luck with alloy & still belive its better, some other people agree & some dont. Allso there has been no factual arguments, YES none are.

define stronger: Hardness is actually the ability of a substance to resist scratches

I think the only way to test whats better is to get a arm, put it in a vice & twist it with a torque wrench untill it brakes also watching to see how far it twists then it needs to be laterial load tested by using press with a gauge to see how far it can bend with out snaping

Ive allso been thinking some people dont know the diffrence between "hardness" & ability to flex, thay are directly proportional to eash other (increasing hardness will lower the flex)

Some of the hardest things in the world are very brittle when pushed to the limit

what do u want out of a r/c car did u want your allighnment to stay true or did u want it to flex when u crash??

whats the most bendable thing on the world?????????? wait for it.... metal. hay piddlefoot how would u like a durable plastic spring lol, just sounds stupid doesent it.

ummm who ever told u that titanium it the strongest ya better go slap them in da face, lmao
geuss what it not, darrrrrr cant even be bothered to reply anymore, google it

Dude you need to go study design 101 again, some parts are designed and use high quality plastic's which are in fact better for the job there designed to do, you dont test a suspension arm by twisting it in a vice, you test it in a machine similar to a shock absorber testing machine, like they did with the titanuim ones, and to date mister, no arm made or designed has beaten the tests done on the titanuim arms, there not made anymore, probably because they wanted 300$ for a pair, but in anycase, alloy has its place on RC trucks just not the suspension arms, if you want to do a practical real world test, find a half pint skate bowl and jump it 20 to 30 feet [ over6 metres ] into the air and land flat on conrete, because l do this with my revo and it doesnt break, although the suspension rods always wear fast.
l dunno about the none factual arguments, maybe you need to learn to read ?
Plastic will snap before alloy in a twist test, so what, alloy bends and stays bent from jumps that plastic ones cop day in day out........Dont you jump high at all ?
In crashes alloy will bend and stay bent, where as plastic will flex back.
In an on road racing car l would use alloy just like you do, in a MT or truggy, its plastic all the way dude !
E-Revos are a plastic chassis, have you wondered why, because the nitro revo used to bend itschassis in big jumps, traxxas LEARNED from that and designed the E-Revos with plastic chassis and l have had no issues with them yet.Far more durable than the alloy chassis Rc revo versions.

Whats with the attitude ?

And by the way plastic. especially polymer plastics are far more 'bendable' than any metals, you cant make a car spring with it no, its not tensile enough, but you can bend it more, stretch it more, and its electricly non conductive, so it can be used in far more things than you realise.

Its science !

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM
masshole
My Feedback: (1)

When i was a lil tike and was sledding with my buddy, this was about 20+ years ago, i had a sled i believe was a flexible flyer, and it had metal runners on each side and my buddy had a plastic sled, so we were talkin about whos sled was better and i told him mine was more durable and he called BS so we did a scientific test (hahaha)

Iwent down the hill on my sled and crashed into his sled.... No damage
He went down the hill on his sled and crashed into my sled..... his plastic sled bend the crap out of one of my metal runners!!!!

Aditionally i don't think my sled was made of aluminum or hes sled was made by RPM
Thus the relevance of this story is debatable but I remember this disctincly as my father was PISSED he had to repair my sled!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 AM
REVO_RACER

Well I feel like I need to say one thing...Who ever started this thread started a war that he didn't see coming.

I've been here a lot longer than most of you and this question has came up a many of times. The general outcome is they both have there strengths and weaknesses..

RPM=
*Durable
*Custom colors (If you dye it)
*Stonger than stock
*light weight

-Snaps, dosnt bend

Aluminum
*Cool
*Tends to bend not snap
*Give a bling factor

-Heavy
-bendable

Take your pick for your application
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

War is what u make it, im here to learn & have fun, nothing wrong with a good argument. infact it healthy, ive learnt a bit fom this forum & problary wont bother with alloy again if there is a RPM replacement.

Shure some of these parts make a small diffrence but if u want ur car faster, insted of posting here go practice driving it. like me, just before (im out of nitro).

ive spent the last week getting my launch & landing right off jumps, because it really sucks when u are out in front & a jump goes wrong & it ends up on its roof
once ve got that sused im gona practice my high speed turns (been getting intermittant understeer)

I use to think i was the best driver about 4 months ago, but then i went to a race track, it was a wake up call, shure i can beat my mates hyper 7 but thats no real comptition I want to race another revo.

in short dont replace it untill it brakes, spend your time & cash learning your car.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
56ForD420

Thanks for all the comments. Personally I still think aluminum works and looks the best.. Thanks again guys...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Well doesnt work better, but good on ya anyways.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

most definatly works the best for shelf queens. not for running the maxx because they get heavy after only a few parts. imho i think that aluminum kills engines faster because their is more mass for it to push. put it this way, if you were to push a box of feathers then push a box of bricks, which one do you think you would get tired of doing first??
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 AM
56ForD420

I Think alum. Is much much better for shelf queens and for running the T.maxx I have never had a problem with running alum there are lots of people that run alum and never have had a problem. Plastic sucks N. M. O. Alum all the way..
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Redvanmafia

aluminum is for goof balls with more money then brains or some really stupid parents, Rpm will replace any part of theirs that you break free of charge you may have to pay a small shipping fee, aluminum weighs a tonne sure small kids and monkeys like shiny objects so its totally up to you, but for the money of an aluminum rig i could have a fully rpm'd truck and still have enough money to go out for 100 dollar dinners every friday for the rest of the year
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

aluminum is for goof balls with more money then brains or some really stupid parents, Rpm will replace any part of theirs that you break free of charge you may have to pay a small shipping fee, aluminum weighs a tonne sure small kids and monkeys like shiny objects so its totally up to you, but for the money of an aluminum rig i could have a fully rpm'd truck and still have enough money to go out for 100 dollar dinners every friday for the rest of the year
not all aluminum weighs as much as a brick man. There are some companies out there that make good quality aluminum. There are only a select few who do but their products are great.

Also aluminum can be good replacements for some stuff regardless. Such as bulkheads, shock towers, chassis braces, etc... Suspension is a bad topic because there are those who feel differently about it. All depends on what you want your truck to be.

That's the point of these trucks is to customize them to your taste. If its not your taste then, well, its not your truck.

Aluminum rigs are more expensive than RPM but in some cases, they hold if not increase in value. A couple of my UE parts have actually gained value since I've had them and others are still worth about the same.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Youngsie75

wow nice ride...
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM
fabrimacator21

I COULDN'T leave this post up in the air.......

nothing personal dude.

Just want to clariy a little bit.

lol this is a joke, im over it, look i really dont care anymore & i feel this is going NOWHERE, lets just say when u have a group of people that can hide behind there computer, they aint all going to agree. Ive had more luck with alloy & still belive its better, some other people agree & some dont. Allso there has been no factual arguments, YES none are.

Theres plenty of fact to my points.... I know the strengths of steel, aluminum, and titanium from welding/fabricating with them for a living AND I have run both aluminum and RPM plastics arms on my tmaxx ..... HOW ABOUT YOU?

define stronger: Hardness is actually the ability of a substance to resist scratches

.... stronger means that when you hit a curb you don't have to buy a new a-arm or worry about it getting bent. That's why so many people like rpm a arms for the tmaxx, not whatever r/c your talking about. Not only are RPM arms a stronger, more flexible type of plastic (stock arms are very hard/brital), they are also much thicker then the stock arms.

I think the only way to test whats better is to get a arm, put it in a vice & twist it with a torque wrench untill it brakes also watching to see how far it twists then it needs to be laterial load tested by using press with a gauge to see how far it can bend with out snaping
This quote is a perfect example of how your argument has no relevance....... no a arm has ever broken from twist..... it just doesn't happen on an rc. When you hit a curb or land nose first with an R/C there is NO twist going on... it's frontal/horizontal impact. Twist has nothing to do with it. You'll bend shocks or hingepins before you break an rpm a arm.

Again....... unless you have experience with tmaxx arms then there's no relevance to your argument.

Ive allso been thinking some people dont know the diffrence between ''hardness'' & ability to flex, thay are directly proportional to eash other (increasing hardness will lower the flex)
True.... hardness equals less flex and more probability to crack/break. Glass is harder then steel but it can be shattered very easily......... however RPM plastics give you break strength simply because they flex on hard impacts and bounce back...... Because they aren't as rigid and "hard" as aluminum alloy's, they can absorb alot of impact and return to their original shape which means they don't have to be as hard/strong as aluminum since they can soak alot of impact up. Aluminum doesn't do that.... it bends and stays bent. If you bend aluminum back it gets weaker..... plain and simple.

what do u want out of a r/c car did u want your allighnment to stay true or did u want it to flex when u crash??
I've NEVER had any problems with aligment on my maxx which has RPM arms all around..... try them on a TMAXX (not a TL whatever your talking about) before you tell everyone how aluminum arms are better then rpm for the maxx.

whats the most bendable thing on the world?????????? wait for it.... metal. hay piddlefoot how would u like a durable plastic spring lol, just sounds stupid doesent it.

Once again...... your argument has no relevance...... Spring steel is very prone to snapping/cracking........ It's so tightly wound that it'll break way before regular everyday mild steel will when bent..... Try bending spring steel into a 45 degree angle. It' just won't happen. It'll break and likely knock your teeth out while doing it......

WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY NEXT QUESTION... WHY ARE YOU BRINGING UP SPRINGS???????[&:][sm=confused.gif]

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ALUMINUM . NO SPRING HAS EVER BEEN MADE OUT OF ALUMINUM, SO UNLESS YOU WANT TO START ARGUING SPRING STEEL A-ARMS FOR THE TMAXX THEN I SUGGEST YOU QUIT POSTING YOUR IRRELLEVENT ARGUMENTS.

If you hit spring steel with a hammer it's VERY likely to crack/break. Mild steel you can bend but it won't spring back like spring steel does..... which is why RPM plastics are as good as they are.... best of both worlds.

You really don't understand the concept of plastic being able to flex.... it absorbs the impact and returns to it's natural position..... Aluminum just bends and stays bent. There's no springback with aluminum. That means that RPM arms don't need to be as strong as aluminum since they can soak up impact and they have a little spring to them..... it's the same thing as an airbag, except they return to their original shape. RPM arms are also lighter and MUCH cheaper then aluminum arms .... RPM will also replace a broken arm (in my experience) for free as long as you don't straight up say I was doing 45mph and hit a curb.[:@]

I don't understand your steering geometry argument either. Take a tmaxx rpm lower A-arm and see how far you can bend it from front to back in your hands. Unless your the hulk it isn't moving. You trying to bend it is WAY more force then it'll ever see during normal abuse so what makes you think running them is gonna screw up your steering geometry? RPm arms will break before your geometry is off which is roughly (give or take depending on the maker of said aluminum a arm) when most aluminum arms will bend....

ummm who ever told u that titanium it the strongest ya better go slap them in da face, lmao
geuss what it not, darrrrrr cant even be bothered to reply anymore, google it

YOU my friend are the one that needs to google.

How old are you?

Do you or have you ever owned a tmaxx?

Just wondering
Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
56ForD420

RPM Arms and parts do break have seen several broken pieces and also they will not replace a Thing if it has been abused like crashed or jumped  good luck on a replacement. I    use aluminum only and at the same time I do not abuse my T maxx so the Aluminum has always worked awesome for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: 56ForD420

RPM Arms and parts do break have seen several broken pieces and also they will not replace a Thing if it has been abused like crashed or jumped good luck on a replacement. I use aluminum only and at the same time I do not abuse my T maxx so the Aluminum has always worked awesome for me.

They replaced my broken arm[sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

RPM Arms and parts do break have seen several broken pieces and also they will not replace a Thing if it has been abused like crashed or jumped good luck on a replacement. I use aluminum only and at the same time I do not abuse my T maxx so the Aluminum has always worked awesome for me.

He's saying that if it broke under extreme circumstances then they won't replace it. If it breaks on a medium size jump, they'll replace it.

If you hit a post at 45mph or jump off some 10ft jump and it breaks, they probably won't.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: cmerritt

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

He's saying that if it broke under extreme circumstances then they won't replace it. If it breaks on a medium size jump, they'll replace it.

If you hit a post at 45mph or jump off some 10ft jump and it breaks, they probably won't.

I hear you......

I'm just saying, that I hit a curb dead square at 50mph[:@][&:].... I guess I got a free one since it wasn't a big break.... if it was completly demolished they probably wouldn't have sent me a new one.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
xxxtsuperstud18

some people prefer blondes, some prefer brunettes but in the end everyone likes to play so it dont matter what you go with. if you like aluminum, go aluminum, if you like plastic, go plastic. thats the reason why we are at the top of the food chain, we can make decisions like these. So buy what you feel you need to buy just make sure that you have fun when your playing with your maxx. If your not then its time to stop spending money on it and sell it to someone who will love it!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fabrimacator21

lol u cant leave my post's untouched, lmao do u like check this forum each night?? Wow what a great life, cant complane about that yeah, what to u go to work then sit on the computer untill bed time. How about next time if u really feel u have something to say to me PM me, look even feel free to abuse me, but i bet u wont be able to resist replying to this publicly,

I think you are bios, & seems like u allways have something to prove chill out & just get it through your head some people wont allways agree with u.

like what other people say stick to what u know & like, & i happen to like alloy, deal with it & grow up
Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
cmerritt

fabrimacator21

lol u cant leave my post's untouched, lmao do u like check this forum each night?? Wow what a great life, cant complane about that yeah, what to u go to work then sit on the computer untill bed time. How about next time if u really feel u have something to say to me PM me, look even feel free to abuse me, but i bet u wont be able to resist replying to this publicly,

I think you are bios, & seems like u allways have something to prove chill out & just get it through your head some people wont allways agree with u.

like what other people say stick to what u know & like, & i happen to like alloy, deal with it & grow up
i think it's more like he doesn't want false info floating around. I try and keep false info from being posted because someone new to the hobby may take that advice and then mess something up.

Also chill out. No need to criticize him so much. Yeah he's on here a lot, but hey guess what so are a lot of people!

It is definitely true though, some of your arguments are completely irrelevant. BTW, i wouldn't call him bias. Your the one who has worshiped aluminum in every one of your posts and shot down plastic. Not that big of a deal but we just try to keep the info on this site correct.

It's an internet forum, no need to get mad and criticize everyone because your wrong. Just accept that you made a mistake and move on...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

P vs A

ill stick with both. they both have there place, and they can complement each other.

so its a win-win situation.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
fabrimacator21

CMERRIT: nailed it.....[8D]

fabrimacator21

You can bet I'll respond publicly when you post the "info" that you posted.

I can't leave your posts untouched because their too false/irrelavant to be left alone. Judging by people's response's to you I'd say I'm not the only one who feels that way

I've called you on numerous false statements more times then I can count and you have no comeback..... you just come at me with insults because your wrong.[:@] I'm about done trying to talk sense into you...

I rarely visit this forum anymore since my maxx is currently in pieces after a big wreck...... I haven't posted much for the last 2 months.... however....since I have seen some of your arguments/reasoning for going aluminum I've been on alot more just to simply set the record straight and make sure newbs don't buy your brand of BS. If you can't figure that out then I'm done trying explain it to you....

How about next time if u really feel u have something to say to me PM me, look even feel free to abuse me, but i bet u wont be able to resist replying to this publicly,
No,,,, you've been abused and embarrassed enough in this thread.... maybe you should make sure what your saying is true before you post it....

See the thing is, if I PM'd you instead of posting publicly, then any newbe could come along and take your reasoning for liking aluminum arms on a TMAXX(which you don't even own..... why are you posting here and arguing??????????) as fact and go spend money on aluminum arms based on your posts which have no fact or relevant argument to them. I'd rather bust you publicly on your reasoning/arguments. Sorry but I'm not cool with innocent newbs wasting their money based on your "aluminum makes your truck steer sharper" and "it stops bumpsteer" arguments.... your so wrong with your "points", I don't think you will even begin to understand for a long time. It's almost funny. I'll gladly respond publicly and continue to embarrass you if you keep it up.

You think strength of an A-arm is determined by twist.... WRONG. You think aluminum affects turning radius.... WRONG. You think aluminum A-arms are the same weight as RPM arms.... WRONG. The list goes on.... instead of realizing it and saying "yeah I was wrong" you come back and try to get all big and bad instead of having something to say that actually makes sense.

Your attitude is seriously wearing thin dude... If you had a leg to stand on I wouldn't be on you like I have been but you don't. Your arguments are weak and ignorant and many others have said the same thing. Like I said in my first response to you... I don't like misinformation being spread. Plain and simple.... People come to this site and take advice then go out and spend their money based on that advice. Just like you, I used to think aluminum arms were the chit and I made my decisions on assumption........ "well they use aluminum on cars so it must be good". Through experience I've learned that kind of thinking gets you no where and will probably cost you more money then you need to spend. Bottom line is R/C's are they're own entity and have they're own "rules". I probably would have argued just like you are, when I was 16, but after ACTUALLY TRYING BOTH ON A TMAXX and gaining experience I realized that aluminum arms aren't the end all be all. Sure the more expensive aluminum arms are real strong.... but they're expensive, heavier and don't necessarily have a break strenght advantage over the RPMS..... The big buck ones may be a little stronger but they're still heavier and very expensive. Most aluminum arms will start to bend when RPM's will break. No one can really say for sure since there hasn't been an exact test on both of them but after having heard alot of peoples stories and experiences on the subject people can make their own decision. I have run both and I swear by rpm.... I've never seen any 3mm of lateral twist(do you even know what your talking about?), screwed up steering, or any of the other steering alignment/geometry problems you say happens..... Quit talking out your ass about a truck that you have never owned or tried rpm arms for and we won't have problems.

We are all here to learn and occupy time that we can't spend running our rigs.... If you want to act like I'm a fat loser who doesn't do anything but sit on the computer simply because I called you on your BS arguments then go right ahead.... I assure you I won't lose sleep over it. Your dead wrong. Matter of fact I'm about to head into the marines here shortly and I have a pretty good social life if I do say so myself. Quit acting like a 12 year old....
It has nothing to do with you not agreeing with me.... it has to do with you being DEAD WRONG and doing it with an attitude.

Instead of leaving your arguments to be and let people make their own assumptions (which you should be able to do if your argument has any relevance or truth to it) you just keep coming back and spewwing BS with no relevance or fact which has to be addressed and set straight. I don't have anything to prove to you. Figure it out dude.... you have no experience with a tmaxx nor do you have experience with it's A-arms whether it be aluminum or RPM so why the hell are you arguing?........ not only do you not have experience with the truck in question but you come up with these "theories" on why aluminum is better and you couldn't be more off....... you don't understand just how dense your coming off.

You like alloy... and that's fine.... but when you post a bunch of times with stupid arguments for liking alloy that have no relevence or fact to them and also have nothing to do with the conversation (posting road cars and everything but tmaxx pics and telling everyone how awesome aluminum arms are, while arguing your false/irrelevant reasons for liking aluminum, when you've never even owned a tmaxx or tried RPM arms on one) then your damn skippy I'm gonna call you on it. Matter of fact you can set your watch by it.

I'll ask you this again (cause it would explain alot)........ HOW OLD ARE YOU?

I'm 22.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
NEW YORK BOY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RPM!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Redvanmafia

there's alot of sally talk going on in here, RPM is the king, aluminum is heavy and a waste of money, all you get is a reflection in the sun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.