Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Fuel? Glow plugs?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel? Glow plugs?

I am new here so bare with me. My son, a 14 year old, got a T-Maxx 2.5 for christmas. I read the manual completely and it says to use only Traxxas fuel and plugs. What is the difference? . I fly planes and use Byrons' 15% Nitro 18% oil in all my engines 2 and 4 stroke. Traxxas says to use 10- 20% fuel. I use O.S. #8 plugs and Type F for my four strokes. During the break in the stock plug burnt out and I put one of my #8 plugs in it. The only problem I have is a bog on take-off and a bad bog when it shifts to second. Occassionally it shuts off when it shifts. It could very well be me not tuning it right. I am kind of new at tuning things that don't fly and I can already see that there is a big difference. My son seems to think this thing should stand straight up when he kicks it from a standing start. I can't make it do it. I have always gotten great advice for my planes from these forums so when I found this one I figured I would ask those of you who have been there. What can I do to make this thing perform? Is the fuel I am using O.K.? How about the plugs? Any other tips you have would be great. By the way, I saw some-where a guy was saying he had a roll cage on his. I can see already that this would be a good investment for this one. Any-one know where I can get one?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
rcslsafut

Default RE: Fuel? Glow plugs?

i personally dont like the traxxas fuel!!!(yes i have used it!)
i use byrons in all my r/c's .i dont give a crap what the instructions say!!!
i have traxxas,os ,force,engines. and from what i have read i WOULDNTuse traxxas fuel.
i has too much oil, makes the one way bearing slip.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Straick

I prefer Trinity fuel myself(locally, it's either that or Traxxas). 20% nitro is all that you really need in it. As far as the glowplug, an OS LC3 is a direct replacement for the stock traxxas plug. You can also run an OS 8 in it, but you'll lose a little bit of power due to a lower compression.
The bog sounds like it's running either too rich or too lean. Is there a little bit of smoke coming out of the pipe, or is it billowing? If it's billowing, then you're too rich, no smoke and you're too lean. The highspeed being off will also cause you to not get those wheelies that your son is after, but the gearing also comes into play there.
Now for the million dollar question. Did you follow the breakin instruction in the manual? If you skipped them, you'll end up with the engine not lasting as long. I'm assuming you did. Even after breakin, you will see the power gain through the first half to full gallon of fuel. It took the OS18TM in my Revo about a gallon to reach full power, and the 2.5R it replaced about half a gallon.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM
James c harrell

That break in was followed to the tee thanks to my son. He wouldn't let me touch anything from factory settings untill he ran it through all five tanks. The plug failed on the second tank but I think that was just a bad plug. It looked good as far as color with a clean break in the coil. I returned all the needle settings back to factory tonight and will get a new plug in the morning for him and go from there. He did stiffen the back shocks up a little because it would just about bottom out on take off. Top end sounds good and it appears to be haulin-a##. Do all these trucks lean like this one does in the turns? I figure we can work with that after we get her tuned right. The suspension seems to be extremely adjustable. These trucks sure have evolved alot from my old days with my Tamiya F-150 and the Wild Willy!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
xxxtsuperstud18

byrons 20% ftw!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 AM
James c harrell

Not meaning to sound like a old fogey here but what does FTW mean. LOL I know that one!! Never mind,I GOGGLED it!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James... You can run the OS 8 plug and other than it a medium instead of a hot plug it will work fine.. You just can't use the EZ start with it... Byrons fuel is fine... I run traxxas fuel in my Traxxas engines because it works fine.. but you can run whatever you want as long as the oil content is around 16-18%... you will be a little down on power with 15% but not much...
As for the bog off the line and when shifting.. Give the motor a few more tanks to really open up and then tune again... sounds like you are a little off.. can't tell which way by your description... If you stiffen up the rear of the truck too much, you will have bigger handling issues.. the T-maxx is known for its super soft suspension.. it will squat when taking off and lean in turns... As for standing straight up when taking off... It will wheelie with a 2.5 and go pretty fast... If you want crazy wheelies.. get a 3.3 or and OS engine...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
James c harrell

Sounds like good advice to me. I think I will let her run like it is, a little on the rich side I think, for the rest of this gallon. As much as my son likes to run that won't take long. I figure as long as I don't let it get hot he will at least have a motor to tune later. Funny story for you. Yesterday he was running his truck while I was flying. He rolled it and it went in the dicth. The dicth has so many weeds and bushes in it that the truck barely got the tires wet but he didn't know it so in he went. He didn't get caught in the weeds but went to the bottom. The temp was about 40-45 degrees. Truck never cut off and when he emerged I thought for sure the day was over,wrong,He never quit and by the time I landed my plane he was at the ramp practicing his landings and shivering. His fingers were so cold he could barely hold the transmitter. Shoes sloshed with water, mud in his hair, but through it all, the smile never left his face. When I finished laughing I got him dry and warmed up and he was back at it again. I don't know what my dad paid for my sons' Christmas present but that was worth worth it all.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM
cenracer1

My son is the same way.. he's 15 now and I can't keep him away from the toys... I have to sneak out without him so I can get some run time myself... Running a little rich in the winter is a good thing.. you have to run that way anyway due to the denser air... Give the motor some time, it will free up a bit and run better... a couple more tanks.. not a gallon or so... Keep us posted on your progress...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
nargargle

My thoughts for what they are worth. 

If you can get hold of McCoy MC 59 glowplugs give them a try.  I had terrible luck with the Traxxas plugs.  They constantly died.  The MC 59 tunes better for me and you can use the EZ-Start with out messing up the spring on the end of the wire.

As for fuel, I run Trinity Monster.  It's 20% nitro and 12% oil.  I find it tunes much better than the traxxas fuel and doesn't tend to swamp the one way bearing with oil. 

Just my $.02.  Best of luck and I hope your son has many more happy days.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
crazykat

I use Traxxas 20% and have never had a problem with it. I use it in my T-MAXX OS .18 CVR-X with a #8 plug. Also in my
Savage with an Axial .28 with an A5 plug, and in my HPI MT2 SS with a #8 plug. I live an hour away from the hobby shop and Traxxas fuel is readily available there. As a matter of fact, just finished running my T-MAXX and Savage. Havent run them in about 6 months and didnt use after run in either of them and they started right up after a few pulls.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
James c harrell

Well, we went out today and ran her again. I did have to lean it a little from the factory settings I put it back to. Amazing! It was running great. He was running it around a small dirt track I made him in the yard so I told him to take it out in the clearing, a grass field in our yard about 2 acres, and open it up. Top end was great to. I guess it was finally getting broke in good. The temps were good, about 230, When the innevitable happened. It quit pulling all together. Motor ran good, it was in the tranny! I told him to shut it off and took it to the house. I found the problem to be a pin in the primary gear. Looked it up in the parts manual. When I called the hobby shop the guy said "Ah, the old 4995" He had plenty of them in stock. I take it to mean they break pretty often. Anyway, after a 2 1/2 hour trip to the hobby shop and back and a 1 1/2 hour re-assembly, got to show my son how it is done, it was running again. Problem was it was well after dark and freezing cold outside. That don't stop my boy. Out we go. Dad with a flashlight, that's me, and boy running his truck again. It did great. And yes, it was all worth it again. Funny, when the temp outside is only 27 degress, the engine barely breaks 200! You guys that told me the engine would come around as it lossened up were right. I appreciate it and I know my son does. I will keep you all informed on his progress with this one. I think my next project with it will be to change the spur gear out for a bigger one. He says it has to much speed and needs more take-off. I'll probably be buying axles after that but what the heck. Still looking for a roll- cage. Later
Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Straick

For more take off and less top end, you'll want to change the clutch bell to a bigger one or the spur to a lower tooth count. Just be sure that whichever route you take that you readjust your mesh or you WILL eat the spur gear. Have fun.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM
James c harrell

You sure about that? I figure, and I ain't by no means an expert, a smaller clucth bell and bigger spur gear would give a better take-off.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Snook Man

Smaller clutch bell and/or larger spur will give you more bottom end torque and less top end speed.

The cluth bell will effect the ratio more than the spur (tooth for tooth).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
cenracer1

I don't know about the pin being a real problem with the 4995's tranny, but you should loosen up the slipper just a bit, or don't land jumps under full acceleration.. thats usually the cause... You will also trash the diffs that way.. (experience here)...
for the spur and bell combo... smaller bell and larger spur is more off the line power, but less top end.. larger bell and smaller spur is slower off the line with more top end... a word of advice here... its much easier and cheaper to replace the spur gear than the clutch bell.. Go up 2 teeth and see what you get.. you can get a couple of spur gears for the price of one clutch bell... and you should have spares anyway...
Enjoy the truck... try not to run it too cold, under 200 is too cold... just lean it a tiny bit to bring the temps up a bit... It wil be even stronger... As for the traxxas plugs.. I have a bunch as spares.. they work ok, but don't last nearly as long as OS and Mccoy...
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
HHOTek

im new to this as well, im running blue thunder 20% and OS L-Series LC3 plugs not a clue if they are the best but they seem to be better than the OEM.

as far as suspension setup im pretty happy with my adjustments, they are:

Outside corner shock moved out 1 hole inner ones remain in stock location.

Castor shims moved from the front to the rear (decreased understeer) made it much easier to drift and rings donuts, not very good at full speed maneuvering but alot of fun at low speed.

removed the rear spring spacers and added the thickest ones they provide about 1/2 inch, this helped with the wheelie problem but it sounds like you dont have that issue mine was popping wheelies and rolling over on itself at half throttle, kinda annoying to me.

toed the rear in about 3 turns of the turnbuckle from stock settings decreased top speed a bit but helped launch and corners a  little better.

toed the front out just a hair, no noticeable difference at all

TIP: remove the front skidplate and replace with aluminum its like 18 bucks and will help to prevent breaking the bulkheads, i already broke a set only 8 bucks to replace but takes a little time, so its well worth replacing
Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
James c harrell

You ain't kidding about the stock plugs. I am on my fourth and I haven't been 10 tanks. I was a little concerned about the air cleaner. We live on sandy land and the stock cleaners intake points right at the front wheel. It keeped a lot of sand on the screen so I put an HPI Two stage that has the end capped off and pulls air from the side. Changed the way it ran alot and before I could get the tune back it burnt the last plug I had. Can't figure out if it is the 15% fuel I am using or just crappy plugs on a not perfect tune. It really seems to run great one minute and bad the next. Could fuel level change the way it runs? I have been monitoring temps with the infa-red and try to keep them between 250-300. Any thing above 300 I can tell it don't run good at all. I tell you what, planes are a whole lot easier to tune! And they stay the way I tune it unless there is a drastic temp change.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
motionmachine

James, if I understood you correctly, your using Byrons' 15% Nitro 18% oil ie aviation fuel? If so and setting any tuning errors aside, that could account for the bog and/or lackluster performance.
Do not substitute Airplane fuel for car fuel or vise versa. Car engines typically require a higher percentage of nitro (20% minimum) with substantually less oil content, usually around 12% (max). For your sons 2.5 application, I would suggest Byrons 20% Race Blend w/ a McCoy #8 glow plug. Note: Only use OS plugs in OS engines..
Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 PM
James c harrell

That may well be the case. I have tried and tried and tried to get this thing to run right. If I get a decent take-off it shuts off or bogs out on the shift. Get the top-end and the shift decent and it won't take-off. If you are right, and I think you might be, do you think I have hurt the engine. I have not run it hot in any way. Highest temp I have seen was a little over 300. I put every thing back to the factory settings and put a new Traxxas plug in it and the plug failed before 1/2 a tank. The truck is strong one minute and not the next. It has to be fuel because I feel like I have tried every thing else.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 AM
James c harrell

Another trip to the HS and I went with Byrons again. This time I got 20% nitro 12% oil car race fuel. Decided to go with the McCoy 59 plug. Cleaned out the tank, changed the plug, reset to factory needle settings. I didn't get warmed up good before the plug failed. changed the plug for another McCoy 59 and ran the tank of fuel at factory settings. It didn't run the best but it did go. It got dark on me so I will try again to fine tune it when ever my driver gets out of bed. Question. When I tune my planes I know I have to allow a little richer setting when it is real cold. I read somewhere not to run a car when it is this cold out-side. It is right at freezing here. What is the general train of thought here for cars trucks etc. I know weather doesn't stop me flying and if the truck will take it it won't stop my son from driving but I really don't want to screw his truck up either. By the way, before the first plug failed I did see the best accelleration this thing ever had. My son lit up when she stood on the bumper. I sighed when the $8 plug quit. I guess there are bad ones in the pack new. The new one seems O.K.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM
cenracer1

James.. If you are killing plugs that quickly you are running too lean.. surprised you didn't kill the second plug.. Same as an airplane, if its cold outside you want to richen up the HS needle just a bit.. 1/16-1/8th.. because the air is more dense, you need more fuel.. plain and simple.. the reason the maxx stood on the bumper was because of the overly lean condition.. it shoud still do this, but hopefully not burn up $8 plugs.. Hate to tell you this, I usually get around 1/2 to a full gallon out of my plugs.. Lean kills them... running slightly rich doesn't...
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
James c harrell

I really feel like it is the temp adding to my plug burning out problem. Truck will run all day in the shop. take it outside, Temp ouitside is about 25 degrees, and about half tank or 1/4 tank plug goes bad. I figure it can be compared to hot glass. Take real hot glass and put it in cold water. I think that is what is happening to my plugs.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
cenracer1

James.. did you richen the hsn like we told you to do... you can run that inside all day in the shop, but when its 25 degrees outside the dense air will require a carb adjustment or you will burn out a plug...
I ran my T-maxx today for about an hour with my son outside... It was 15 degrees and very windy... The same plug that I've had in there since the end of the summer is still going fine... Its a tuning issue, not an outside temp issue....