Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

E-Revo Wheels stripping problem

Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E-Revo Wheels stripping problem

Guys,

I've having the first problems with my E-Revo. It's equipped with the 700HO conversion and running a pair of 2S 5000's but otherwise the truck is stock. On any kind of high traction surface I'm stripping out the right rear wheel. On dirt or grass i can get several runs with no damage. One run on concrete and it strips. The problem just started a week or so ago and i've gone through two wheels so far. I've looked at all the normal areas. I loctite the wheel nut on, Swapped the Hex for a new one and made sure the wheel was on secure. Sure enough.. 5 mins into the run and it's 3 wheel drive again. I do have a couple of set of new wheels but this is getting old pretty quick.

I know that going to 17mm or 23mm is an option but I don't really want to do that as I have the extra wheels already. Is there Something i'm missing?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Snook Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Revo Wheels stripping problem

Try a new hex and and new nylock wheel nut without loctite.
Over time the nylock wheel nuts will wear out and the counter rotation of the right side wheels will cause them to loosen upon acceleration.
Loctite appears to work, but will actually make the nylon in the nut fail quicker.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Greg Dangerfield

I have had 23 mm hex's on my revo since day one mamba monster and all no problem. sell your good wheels and upgrade, thats what this hobbies all about.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

IS e-revo hex different to E revo brushless ?

If so, get a set of brushless hexes and rims, never have the issue again, revo hexes are different to the normal hexes, they have double the surface area to bite too, and in a unique shape, but you can still use nitro revo wheels with the new style hexes, so you can use all the old rims/tyres as well. Very handy at the track lve found, when the tyre shreds from raw speed and you need to smack one on fast just to keep running, my e-revo right now has 2 nitro revo wheels on its backend, from last weeks wheel shredding experience, revo tyres are so easily destroyed at over 90klm/h on road or gravel, but they last on the beach, on sand, and take ages to wear down !
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Wo81

Steel hexes seem to hold up just fine. My buddies E Maxx has the Mamba Monster and all he runs is 6s through it. He stripped a wheel with the nylon hexes when he first went brushless and I had a set of the steel hexes lying around. He hasn't had a problem since. He mostly bangs wheelies up and down the street. Bigger hexes would be an even better fix though.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has steel 14mm hexes. I replaced the hex after the first wheel stripped and put on a new steel locknut but did use the loctite.

Well I guess if it strips again i'm going to 23MM.. Who make the 23mm wheels?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: john01374

Mine has steel 14mm hexes. I replaced the hex after the first wheel stripped and put on a new steel locknut but did use the loctite.

Well I guess if it strips again i'm going to 23MM.. Who make the 23mm wheels?
You could go up to 17mm hexs. Use the traxxas buggy style 17mm hex's with the big 17mm nuts. My brother has a set on his tmaxx and they work great. He also got a set of HPI Flux tires. They use the 17mm hex and are a little bit thicker tire so there is more coushin for big jumps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Revo-5309-17mm-A...item5ad6e616ae
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

i cant remeber if my e revo had a slipper clutch but it it dose lossen the slipper clutch up some so it slips a bit.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Ya e-revo shoulda had a slipper LUL !