Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going to Pull Start!!!What do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Thinking about going to Pull Start!!!What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
haus4350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going to Pull Start!!!What do you think?

OK I bought a used Revo...the new model..I am thinking the battery for my EZ Start need replacing. It will not hold a charge and I only get 2-3 crankings from it using a seperate glow iginiter....instead of buying another battery pack and worrying about charging it....I think I want to go to a pull start...any opinions on that??

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
nargargle

Default RE: Thinking about going to Pull Start!!!What do you think?

I would check the Charger first to make sure the bat is getting a good charge.  I have used the pull start and had good luck with it  so if you don't mind cutting the body to get access I say go for it.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

pull starts are only bad cuz they sometimes come uncoiled and sometimes the rope breaks. you will always know if the motor still has compression though
Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
T-MaxxxedOwt

With the Revo engine so close to the rear left wheel and the pullstarter being almost directly in front youre gonna be doing alot of removing and cleaning because of the pullstarter housing getting caked up with dirt...Anything I have thats pullstarter always needs to be cleaned out quite frequently plus rarely gets used for that reason...

For your ez-start battery try sticking the battery in a freezer bag and freezing it overnight...allow it to thaw out good and then try charging it up again,,sometimes the battery gets crystal growth inside the packs and freezing removes it.....

If youre using the flat square blacktraxxas charger you must cycle the battery atleast twice to ensure a full charge...When charging anything from 2000mah and up you need to cycle it 3-4 times..The charger says otherwise but thats how mine charges up my batteries up to full potential..

Also check out the ez-starter harness to make sure there are no wires melted to the exhaust manifold plus the yellow ground wire is tight,clean and grounded good....check out the red and black leads to make sure theyre tight too...Inside the wand where the battery connects to youll see two posts,,,sometimes they stretch out they barely touch the battery terminals causing a hot soak resistance and a poor crank...try tightening by squeezingthose with a pair of needle nose so they grip the batterypins tightly....

Another thing that could be happening is your ez-starter gears arent meshing good and are binding up or the ez-starter motor is burning out..You could possibly just need a new One way bearing

A good digital multimeter adds alot of facts in finding faults.....

In any event its better to keep the ez-starter and get it functioning again than to convert to a crappy pullstarter
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
haus4350

I will check into Maxxed out. This afternoon I had better luck. I charged the pack on 4 amps and left it on the charger a little longer. I finally felt some heat in the battery pack and normally its room temp. I have a peak detecting charger. I think my problem is solved....another ?

When running in temps around 40 degrees can you still get the engine to over heat if you run it to lean? I kept leaning it out and never got over 195.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Snook Man

Go with the pull start. It gets no dirtier on the revo than any other rc...Forget the cheassssy start, With a good tune and a couple of tugs your off and running. Pull starts will outlast the EZ start x 2 if you dont yank on them like they are a lawnmower.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Jgaff2

Just get a pullstart. Less weighht on the truck and less parts to break. If the truck is runnin good it should start up with a few pulls. My dirtbike starts up with one kick if it's runnin good.....
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
snoking16

dont lean the motor out to get the temps up. you will fry your motor. If you need to bring the temps up then wrap the cooling head with foil or a sock. never ever lean the engine to bring temps up.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
haus4350

I started a new thread about cold weather tuning. When I did lean it out I didnt notice any better performance. I am assuming since it is cold outside that I will have to richen it from the factory setting.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
rcslsafut

i use the pull start on all my nitro's the main reason is so i dont have to carry around a starter of some sort
(except the glow igniter) .i like the pull starter better !!
prime the engine ,two or three pull's they all come to life (usually)
the savage can get to be kinda hard to pull at times but im sure it
cause it still has good compression. big block's are a little harder
to to pull but i would still go with pull start!!!just my.02!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

I use the ez start for break in and then switch to pull start or roto start depending on the size of the engine. The problem with the ez start is that it adds weight on the top of the truck making it easier to roll.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Jgaff2

Since I have an Emaxx I want to know why you need a glow plug starter when you can have a pull start or ez start. It confuzzles me.....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM
haus4350

well i bought my truck used and the guy before me used a glow ignitor and the ez start. he took the wire off the glow plug and used the glow ignitor. he claimed that it would make the ez start pack's charge last longer because it was only spinning the motor and not heating the glow plug. if its pull start you would need the glow ignitor to heat glow plug.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iuse a pull starter on my revo and it works great. If you can tune well havin a pull starter is nice. Its light / low maintance / and easy to use.

Normally after i prime my engine it only takes 2 or 3 pulls to get it to fire up.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Swicthing to the pullstart on my T-Maxx made one heck of a difference. Less weight and a whole lot more room to work with. Mine also corners and jumps better I guess cause of the weight off the top. As far as maintenance the Pull start Seems to be easier to keep going. As far as I am concerned the less you have to break the less you will break. As far as the temp issue, I wouldn't tune an engine completely off of temps. Tune it to smoke a little and run good. I learned the hard way that leaning one out to get that perefect temp will cost a new engine. I am kind of new to cars and trucks but have flown for years so this is just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Itune the same way i check for the right amount of smokea light to mid amber color oil drips out the tail pipe and temps
Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 AM
George4242

why not both pull and ez start or spin start.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: George4242

why not both pull and ez start or spin start.
You can't mount a pull or roto start to the ez start unit.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
James c harrell

That sounds kinda funny coming from you Snook, CAN'T?? Just ain't been done yet!!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Snook Man

True, but I just have no use for the cheasy start other than to toss them in a box
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
James c harrell

I couldn't agree more. I think they make em to sell the parts. Money Money Money!!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
nitro stan

starter box all the way for me