Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

E-clips on center 1/2 shafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Seek and Destroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-clips on center 1/2 shafts

How do you guys remove these things. I can not get a hold of them with anything. I broke the only screwdriver that I had that was small enough to maybe be able to get this. No pliers can even grip it. I tryed dremeling out part of the plastic to try and grip it with pliers. Is there some secret to removing these? I have been trying to remove this 1 clip for around an hour right now. And I still have 7 more to do, assuming I can get this one off. I attached a picture of the part i'm trying to get the e-clip off of.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73794.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1401577  
Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
thef@st1

Default RE: E-clips on center 1/2 shafts

i just tried it out and it was about the easiest e clip ive ever taken off. just put a small screwdriver on one of the ends of the eclip and push. shouldnt be that hard.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Seek and Destroy

when I push it, it just spins around in circles. And I need to go get a new small screw driver. hopefully I can find one at walmart
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM
thef@st1

hold the other side with something so it dosnt spin. also i you have a small needlenose. open the needlenose and put it on both sides of the e clip and push it off.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 PM
snoking16

yeah you just need a really small screwdriver so you can put it in the U shape part of the E and just pop it off. if that makes any sense at all.
make sure you watch where the clip goes. They have a tendancy to go flying in any direction.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: snoking16

yeah you just need a really small screwdriver so you can put it in the U shape part of the E. if that makes any sense at all.
I tried that but there is not really any gap at all in the space between the e-clip and the silver bar. What store do you think I could find a small screw driver at?

And I tried the needle nose idea but once again they were way too big to even get them around the e-clip. Man I need some smaller tools.

Edit: when I try to take the clip off I put the part in a bag. like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBKBEmyQiY
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a small set of electrical technisionspliers, pointy nosed they are and very fine. Or use a sewing machine needle,grind the end to the shape you want,there usually high tensile.Might need two, one to stop it spinning.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
snoking16

get an eye glass repair kit at the store for a buck and go to town. you can also use a steaknife.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmmmmm steaaaaak ...
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 AM
xtremes15

ORIGINAL: Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: snoking16

yeah you just need a really small screwdriver so you can put it in the U shape part of the E. if that makes any sense at all.
I tried that but there is not really any gap at all in the space between the e-clip and the silver bar. What store do you think I could find a small screw driver at?

And I tried the needle nose idea but once again they were way too big to even get them around the e-clip. Man I need some smaller tools.

Edit: when I try to take the clip off I put the part in a bag. like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBKBEmyQiY
you can pick up these small screwdriver or sets alot of places i got my hex drivers from THS, my regular screwdrivers and needlenose, dikes, ect. from sears..
Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
rcslsafut

use a set of blunt face tweezers to remove it ,they are VERY easy to remove as e rings go
make sure your on a clean bench or something cover it with a rag ,so i doesnt fly across the room.
i doubt you will find one any where, but from the kit that you buy from traxxas. just so ya know
the kit comes with a whole bunch of them!!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

lol if ur having a problem getting them off wait till u try to put them back on.......ive become a pro at these eclips since i put a bigger engine in my tmaxx and break drive shafts on a daily basis .......i find the easiest way to take off and put on eclips is with a small set of needle nose pliars........i too shared ur frustration when i first started.....patience and a steady hand goes along way in this hobby........good luck my friend !!!!..................ps +1 on the comment of a clean work bench cause for some reason those things go flying once u get them off...........o and pps after ya get them off once they seem to not be so hard the 2nd time and may even fall off during use so my suggestion is if u plan on reusing them a small dab of blue loctite may save you from losing them and costing u a trip to the hobby shop
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Seek and Destroy

thanks for all of the help guys. I definately need to go to sears or some place similar cause I badly need some very small needle nose pliars. I went and got a eye glass repair kit thing tonight at CVS. we will see how that works out. The screwdriver is pretty small, I imagine I will break it. Where should I try to pop the clip off at? The side or the back of the clip near the middle?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
thef@st1

how are you breaking screwdrivers? all you need to do is push on one side of the e clip and hold the other side so it dosnt spin. dosnt take that much force. not that hard. like i said before took me 30 seconds to get that eclip off mine.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
rcslsafut

if your going to use a screwdriver then it needs to be small enought to get in the back part to pry it off
there is two kind of holes that you can put the tip of the screwdriver in and twist.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Seek and Destroy

Well so far I have been able to replace the center driveshaft. But I still need to replace the 2 front driveshafts. And I need to take off 4 total more e-clips. Well I chose one of them to start one, and am stuck again. I am really starting to get mad at this car. I have had plenty of reasons to be mad at it before, but this is really pushing my patience with this truck. The little screw driver I got with the eyeglass thing isnt small enough. Uhhhh, ill just mess with it tomorrow.