Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

i think i broke my motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
ELK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i broke my motor mount

it happened after my second tank of the day right after me and my cousin were toying around with this on a motor scooter with my t-maxx and his 5.9 savage. long story short my t-maxx picked up its left wheel loosing control and flipping off the curb into a stone wall, when i went to start it back up i heard the spur gear grinding then looked down at it it war a smooth circle. could this be the result of a broken motor mount cause it never did this before.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
MPevine11

Default RE: i think i broke my motor mount

should be able to adjust the motor mount so the gears are further appart. doesnt sound broken.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Joe

it happened after my second tank of the day right after me and my cousin were toying around with this on a motor scooter with my t-maxx and his 5.9 savage. long story short my t-maxx picked up its left wheel loosing control and flipping off the curb into a stone wall, when i went to start it back up i heard the spur gear grinding then looked down at it it war a smooth circle. could this be the result of a broken motor mount cause it never did this before.

hey traxxas joe,i thought you'd given up traxxas?

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9540980/tm.htm[/link]
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
MPevine11

ORIGINAL: richardtf

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Joe

hey traxxas joe,i thought you'd given up traxxas?

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9540980/tm.htm[/link]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is great!!!!!
anyways just try to adjust the mount

lol that is funny
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
RCnutz

Unless you take a hammer to that motor mount it won't break. From what you're describing, the engine mount slid on the chasis plate just enough to throw off the meshing because it wasn't tight enough or the engine got hit just hard enough.
There is very little chance the engine mount is cracked.

Uncrew it ( under the chasis 4 bolts ) and use a single piece of paper or plastic bag ( like the kind parts come in) and insert it between spur and cluthc bell and then squeeze the engine as tight as you can so that the mesh is really tight with the paper or blastic bag insert on. Then tighten the engine mount bolts under the truck and pull out the paper or plastic bag insert. The spur gear should be able to spin freely and should be little play when you hold the clutch bell in place and rotate the spur back and forth.

PS DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLTS SUPER HARD BECAUSE ITS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL STRIP THE THREADS INSIDE THE MOUNT. TIGHTEN JUST A BIT MORE THAN THE POINT WHERE THE SCREW STOPS TURNING WITHOUT ANY TWIST IN THE HEX WRENCH. Also make sure you put the lock/spring washer back on the bolts.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: RCnutz

Unless you take a hammer to that motor mount it won't break. From what you're describing, the engine mount slid on the chasis plate just enough to throw off the meshing because it wasn't tight enough or the engine got hit just hard enough.
The stock engine mountsare cast aluminum and have been known to break often. It is designed to break in the event of a hard hit to the head or a head on collision with an object to prevent the engine block from taking the damage. I have a collection of 8-10 broken engine mounts over the years. To say there is very little chance of cracking/breaking the mount is ridiculous...
Most often the breaks happen at the mounting legs and since the mount is cast, the usually do not crack but one or more of the legs will break completely off.Easy way to find out is to remove the engine and have a look.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
ELK

ORIGINAL: Snook Man

ORIGINAL: RCnutz

The stock engine mounts are cast aluminum and have been known to break often. It is designed to break in the event of a hard hit to the head or a head on collision with an object to prevent the engine block from taking the damage. I have a collection of 8-10 broken engine mounts over the years. To say there is very little chance of cracking/breaking the mount is ridiculous...
Most often the breaks happen at the mounting legs and since the mount is cast, the usually do not crack but one or more of the legs will break completely off.Easy way to find out is to remove the engine and have a look.
ill take it apart on saturday and see if its broken
Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

I have broken my motor mount on my T-Maxx from a collision. They can break. Be sure you follow RCNutz's advice though and do not tighten the screws back in too tight. I have stripped the treads in my T-Maxx motor mount too.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lve broke 2 on the T-max, and 3 on my jato, and zero on the revo, mmmmm.

Anyways good to see rc has its claws in you good, no abandoning RC now ! Traxxas are pretty good. You just got a bit unlucky...you did smack a wall with it...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
ELK

yeah i wasn't surprised i broke stuff cause it was almost at top speed when it crashed before i was just upset that nothing was working right and the truck would hold a tune but now everything is about right so now i don't have get rid of my truck but my rustler needs a lot of help and money that i cant get till the summer.