Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas E-Maxx

Old 07-18-2010, 01:24 PM
ksm1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas E-Maxx

Hello. I fried my second set of titan 550 motors on my e-maxx. I am running stock everything and they get hot and fry. I run my e-maxx up and down the road a few times but mostly on my flat lawn in low grass to chase the dog around. I am using a pair of Duratrax 7 cell 8.4 batteries and I even have heat sinks on the motors. Is it me or are Titans motors junk? Well anyways i think i am going to go with Kershaw Revolver 650 motors. Anyone have these motors?? MY WALLET HURTS..
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Traxxas E-Maxx

Titan motors aren't that bad. Were you running back to back batteries, or were you letting it cool down between runs? You have any air vents cut into your body? Grass no matter how low is strain on any kit. Nitro even runs hotter in the grass... Gotta vent it pretty well, to make sure you get adequate air flow. I would look into the integy heat sinc's with fans, if you plan on running in the grass. They are only like $14 and it's good to have...
If you were to ask about the Titans a year ago, I would have said they were junk. 8 outta 10 were returned to the Hobby shop. Not good. They are made better now, don't know what they changed... But they did.

Edit: Another thing your going to want to look into is comm. drops, and bearing oil... Should lube both of them every other run... It will help about a bit...

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It's normal. They will not hold up very well like that. The heat sinks help, and some other things that will are to gear down and/or volt down. OR slow down or ride on no grass.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy another set of Titans's you should drop down 2 teeth in the pinion and stay off the grass. You're other option is the 650's like you stated. I have the 700's on a couple of trucks and love them. In my opinion they are the best bang for the buck period. You can also use the stock gearing but again.... Stay off the grass.

Regardless of which direction you go you NEED to vent the body. Cut out appox 1/2 of the windshield to allow air to flow over the motors and ESC. This willl be more important if you go with the 650's.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 PM
ksm1969

Thanks for the tips. I am willing to try about anything. Next thing is get out a gun and shoot my traxxas..HAHA
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
maxxin2.5

i think the thing to consider doing before shooting it with a gun is sending it to me (:
haha
Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

I hear ya about the shooting part.I swear if my maxx snaps in half one more time... Lol.12 gauge it is
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
ksm1969

Wait a tic. Some people say dont drive it on my grass which might be true, but where am i supose to drive it? Not everyone has a gravel bank or a street with very little traffic.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
ksm1969

Ohh..One more thing. I am stil lwondering if anyone has tried the Kershaw 650 motors?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
john01374

If you have to run on grass then drop down a couple of extra teeth on the pinion. Grass and RC's don't play well together

I have not run the 650's but I have heard nothing but good things.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
stessman

Ksm- I have a bone stock E-maxx and run it on nothing but grass with the stock batts it came with the motors dont event get hot
Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
rcslsafut

the stock 550's are really not good imo !!
i went with the titan 775 (summit) motor , i love it !!
it has more power, more run time, more torque, less money, (than two)
what more could you ask for? maybe a different mount so you could run a few more choices in gearing thats about it!!
and it loves to be run on lipo , even more power!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
ksm1969

Hello. I ordered the Kershaw 650 Revolver motors. I will let ya guys know how it goes when i get them. Everyone goes for the 700ho's so i figured id be the first kid on the block to get them. HAHA..KSM1969
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
john01374

Let us know what you think of them after a few runs. I'm interested as I have another E-Maxx on it's way to me right now and I know I won't be happy with the Titans after running the 700's in other trucks.

J
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Radioman193

ORIGINAL: ksm1969

Hello. I fried my second set of titan 550 motors on my e-maxx. I am running stock everything and they get hot and fry. I run my e-maxx up and down the road a few times but mostly on my flat lawn in low grass to chase the dog around. I am using a pair of Duratrax 7 cell 8.4 batteries and I even have heat sinks on the motors. Is it me or are Titans motors junk? Well anyways i think i am going to go with Kershaw Revolver 650 motors. Anyone have these motors?? MY WALLET HURTS..

Titans are Fine motors.
you just need to use them Properly.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!watch the gearing!!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP ALL gear teeth free from even the smallest pebbles or clogs

And keep an eye on your gear mesh

and let NOTHING get into the cooling vents on the motor.

and Fush the motor out with WD40 often.
like after 3 hours of running the motor will start getting warmer as brush dust , dirt , sand or mud builds up

i got a Titan and have been usen the truck Everydayfor over 3 months now with NO problem.
thats 3 to 6 hours of hard use a day and it never gets "hot".

I use Heatsinks and a Fan.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
ksm1969

Hello. I got Kershaw Revolver 650 motors for my e-maxx. Broke em in just like the directions said. Let em cool. Put em in the truck. Ran 3 sets of batteries and they fried just like my Titan 550's did. I am running 8.4 4200 Duratrax packs. My pinion gears are 17 tooth. It has to be me but not sure. The motors get hot and they all fry..Time to shoot the e-maxx. Is it too much battery, the gears or my speed controller...???...KSM1969
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Radioman193

Hello. I got Kershaw Revolver 650 motors for my e-maxx. Broke em in just like the directions said. Let em cool. Put em in the truck. Ran 3 sets of batteries and they fried just like my Titan 550's did. I am running 8.4 4200 Duratrax packs. My pinion gears are 17 tooth. It has to be me but not sure. The motors get hot and they all fry..Time to shoot the e-maxx. Is it too much battery, the gears or my speed controller...???...KSM1969
I myself would go with a 14 tooth pinion and 66 tooth spur or a 72 tooth spur
ALOT less load on your motors and you will use ALOT less amperage to do the job.= LONGER run times!!!!!

and do you have heatsinks on your motors????
YOUSHULD !!!!!!!!

And how do you use your truck???
burnouts are a killer on your esc and motors.
and NEVER "stall" the truck

and you shuld KNOW BEFORE your motors are dead that you are hurting them ..............
thay dont just quit.

like if thay are hot DONT keep pushing them! let them cool andflush them with some WD40 .
and OR try a new gearing.

the LOWER the tooth count on your Pinion gear = LESS stress on your motors
the LOWER the tooth count on your SPUR gear = More stress on your motors

its a gane you need to play to find the "sweet spot"
i have found what someone tells me or you to use for gearing aint the best for me but might work good for them.
it depends on what you use your truck for....

ROCKS

Hill climbing

Mud boggen

Powersliden

on road speed runs

Or Jumpen
1 gear setup WILL NOT work for all

I myseld i do Rocks light mud and Deep water and power slides
so i use a 12 tooth pinion and a 66 tooth Spur

pinion gears are Cheap on ebay and so are the Spur gears
its Nice to have Extras arround to play with .

i hope this helps
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM
guver

Here's the deal, it is all too familiar. 14 cells makes it faster (and worse for heat) 17 tooth pinion makes it faster (and worse for heat) running on grass makes the load much heavier (and worse for heat)

Take care of any 1 of these components and it'll help. Take care of all 3 and it will make the motor last a long time.
Here's how: drop down in voltage, gear down, run on a smoother / less dragging surface.

OR you can do what I always do for friends and series wire the motors. This will allow the tall gearing, high voltage and stock motors to last a very long time.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM
guver

To series wire the motors:

Remove a + wire from 1 motor and a - from the other and tape them 2 esc connections separately so they don't short out.
Then hook the 2 motor's + and - together (that you unplugged)
Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
stessman

Would running in grass all the time really shorten runtimes?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM
guver

It can, it is a lot worse than packed dirt, asphalt, concrete, ect. The longer the grass is the worse it drags.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 AM
ksm1969

Hello. When my kershaw revolver motos fried, the negative wire melted right off the motor. I am thinking something is funny with the battieries.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Radioman193

Hello. When my kershaw revolver motos fried, the negative wire melted right off the motor. I am thinking something is funny with the battieries.
its not your batterys
#1 check to make shure your gear mesh is proper and Not to tight
#2 make shure Nothing on the truck is binding

Dont wast your time on ReWireing your motors inseries that just all that does ismake the ESC think its got 1 24v motor insted of 2 12v motors.
the Best way if you Want to try to lower the voltage to the motors Just lower your cell count like 2 6 cell packs insteadof 2 7 cell packs.

I dont think you have a voltage problem
it has to be a Binding problem causing un needed drag on the truck i would check the tranny and other drivetrain parts for this
cause EVEN in grass your truck would NOT burn up that quick unless your grass is over 6 inches high or a JUNGLE
People use there trucks in the grass Everyday.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
guver

series wiring the motors halves the voltage , not doubles it. It will slow down the truck , increase the runtime, drop the power and make the motors live.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Radioman193

ORIGINAL: guver

series wiring the motors halves the voltage , not doubles it. It will slow down the truck , increase the runtime, drop the power and make the motors live.
this is what i sed if you read it Properly.
12v motors in series is the SAME loadas a single 24v motor.
in other words it would take 24v to get the SAME RPM'swith themin series

Hence what i sed just use a lower cell count will have the SAME effect . like "Half the total cells"

Eg.
12 cells to 6

14 cells to 7

16 cells to 8

then if you want EVEN Longer run times
just use2 packs inparallel !

Its sooooo elementary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.