RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Is there a RC MT with Switchable 2WD to 4WD? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/10096826-there-rc-mt-switchable-2wd-4wd.html)

RCevolution 10-26-2010 10:33 PM

Is there a RC MT with Switchable 2WD to 4WD?

Is there a RC Monster Truck with Switchable 2WD to 4WD? I used to have a Traxxas 2.5 Revo Nitro and Im considering getting a Traxxas Summit now. I love the 2 speeds and locking diffs but it would be even better to switch from 2wd to 4wd. It could be a Part-time Stadium truck and Part Time full-on MT!

Is there any RC that does this via a remote switch?

t9dragon 10-26-2010 10:40 PM

RE: Is there a RC MT with Switchable 2WD to 4WD?

Nope, there isn't one.....

RCevolution 10-26-2010 11:07 PM

That sux. thanks for the answer. Didnt think so but I thought Id ask. You know they had some back in the 80's like the Mountain Man RC truck that had a 2wd/4wd switch on top. Why cant we get that today, in something badass and modern?

only1battman 10-27-2010 02:09 PM

there are some like the blackfoot extreme where stock it comes as a 2wd but you can add a front tranny and motor to equal a 4wd.

RCevolution 10-27-2010 02:27 PM

yeah but I want to switch on the fly from 2wd to 4wd. that would be so awesome!

Xmoto16 11-01-2010 08:26 PM

you could probably make the summit do this.....................but then why would you want a 2wd summit

RCevolution 11-01-2010 09:05 PM

Why does anyone want a 2wd stadium truck or buggy? Its differnt driving a 2wd vs 4wd. Way differnt.

It just would be nice to be able to switch from the remote from 2wd to 4wd and back whenever i want.

I mean I have a Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 XTZ. This thing hauls taters. I love 2wd cause I can get sideways do donuts and stuff, but i can just reach on the dash and hit 4wd for extra traction and then just like the Summit hit 4wd Diff lock to lock them up for the nasty stuff.

I would like to be able to do the same for an RC. Is it too much to ask? I mean the Summit has it all, except 2wd to 4wd remote switch...

ReaperGN 11-02-2010 01:06 AM

I am seeing some bad info here. To do what your asking you need a dig unit. They are most commonly found on rock crawlers. Some large MT's like the TXT have also been set up with a dig unit. The dig is controlled by a servo so its remote controlled. A traxxas mt could probably be setup but there are a few issues. Dig units are not made for anything high speed. 20-30 mph is about it and you would have to stop to switch drive type. The easiest traxxas would be the E-maxx with a custom chassis that has been stretched in the front so you can fit the dig unit and servo. You would also need a custom front skid plate.

MGt1208 11-02-2010 04:56 AM

i cant seem to find it now but i did see a video of a cen 7.7 that a guy had a server in the center that would pull the front dog bones away or toward the center activating or deactivating 4wd

Jgaff2 11-02-2010 07:01 AM

You could make your own switchable drive if ou really got into it!

RCevolution 11-02-2010 10:55 AM

Awesome thanks guys, now we are getting some good info now!!!!

ReaperGN 11-02-2010 12:18 PM

Moving dog bones and making your own is possible but why? Check into the dig units and think about maybe getting a different type of truck. The venom safari is not a MT but it does what your asking. Maybe you should give it a look.

RCevolution 11-02-2010 12:29 PM

thanks Reaper. I already pulled the trigger on the Summit though - shoudl be here in a few days.

I will look at the venom safari though thanks

RCevolution 11-02-2010 12:51 PM

Reaper found a guy on youtube running a "Dig" modified driveshaft. Its pretty awesome. Not sure it will hold up but he can swithc from 2wd to 4wd and back with a flip of a switch!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_hpNbcVoc&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext= 1&videos=ngqZGto4FlU[/youtube]

Heres a top view of the servos to make the dig work...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5pr737h88&feature=related[/youtube]

ReaperGN 11-02-2010 01:53 PM

Then you should be ready to go after some minor work.