RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Hello new to the forums(kind of) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/11647704-hello-new-forums-kind.html)

Justin Thymes 04-25-2018 04:29 PM

Hello new to the forums(kind of)

I was on here about 20yrs ago,was a mod for awhile then quit RC.
Just bought a Tmaxx 2.5,should be here tomorrow.
Any tips on break in?
Tuning?
I have owned several nitro trucks and buggies,but as said it was many moons ago.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JT

RustyUs 04-28-2018 04:28 PM

Welcome to RCU.

I'm not a "nitro guy", but I would follow recommended break-in procedures of manufacturer. Every engine is different and doing one method from "back in the day" may not be the best. The manual will surely give you insight to what the manufacturer has tested to be best for their engine.

Justin Thymes 04-29-2018 04:50 PM

Thanks.I went thru the manual a couple times,probably read it once more and break it in tomorrow.Is this place always this slow?Are there other nitro/Tmaxx forums?

Quickywd01 05-25-2018 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Thymes (Post 12427648)
Thanks.I went thru the manual a couple times,probably read it once more and break it in tomorrow.Is this place always this slow?Are there other nitro/Tmaxx forums?

I think the electric stuff killed the nitro hobby. Most people don't want to learn how to tune an engine.

Smiff 24 12-15-2018 01:15 PM

Nothing can replace the sound & smell of burning nitro !
Too cold and wet outside to be runnin rite now or id have my grandson out there.

teamhex 01-06-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01 (Post 12435054)
I think the electric stuff killed the nitro hobby. Most people don't want to learn how to tune an engine.

​​​​​​​I think it's more about it being a pain tuning Nitro. I had to constantly tune my nitro vehicles. Every time you ran it...you were tuning it. Even 2-3 times during a run just to get it right. People went 2 stroke gas and electric. Electric also got much longer run times than 10 years ago. I could never run my electrics for 1.25 hours on a single battery.

1QwkSport2.5r 01-06-2019 11:40 AM

The problem is most people A) run cheap RTR engines that are not as easily tuned properly coupled with B) not having a proper tuning guide to work from to tune their engine properly. There’s so much false information in regard to tuning nitro engines that it’s no wonder people have trouble. Once you understand the process properly, it’s actuwlly quite easy to tune an engine. Using better quality engines makes a monstrous difference in tuning as well. Quality engines are easier to tune and hold their tune for a long time. Most often each time you run, it only requires a small tweak of the needle to run properly.

Its really a matter of perception. If you perceive it to be difficult and get that set in your mind, you will undoubedly have problems. Also, if you read the break-in and tuning guides on places like the Traxxas forums, you will encounter failure of some kind.

Quickywd01 02-18-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by teamhex (Post 12491664)
I think it's more about it being a pain tuning Nitro. I had to constantly tune my nitro vehicles. Every time you ran it...you were tuning it. Even 2-3 times during a run just to get it right. People went 2 stroke gas and electric. Electric also got much longer run times than 10 years ago. I could never run my electrics for 1.25 hours on a single battery.

When the engine is running right they are easy to tune. If you have an air leak then it becomes difficult to impossible. I went through that and was always chasing the tune because as the engine got hot it would run different than when it was cold. Once I found out I had an air leak and fix it by replacing the crank bearings, it was a night and day difference in tuning ease. Which reminds me. I bought a random $50 rc parts box and it had a e-maxx in a million pieces. I think I need to buy a screw kit online somewhere and put that thing together. I love electrics for snow, you can play from the window. Even though modern brushless and lipos provide killer performance, it can't replace that experience you get from nitro. You need both! lol

TJ32 02-26-2019 04:29 PM

Frustration from tuning and constantly breaking parts caused me to walk away for a few years. The convenience of online shopping and a little more patience/maturity and I'm back into it now.

Watching youtube videos and reading a lot of forum posts really helped me get everything back in service and get my engines to absolutely rip. The only problem is there is plenty of bad information and misconceptions floating around out there and without having your own experience it can be difficult to tell who really knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Particularly because people tend to be highly opinionated and sometimes confrontational about this hobby. You really have to take in all the information you can, draw your own conclusions and then just try things and see how they turn out.

Once you get a nitro engine to really sing and have some understanding of how it operates, it really isn't that difficult to keep it running nicely. Then down the road if you encounter some difficulty it becomes easier to troubleshoot problems that aren't related to the needles.

1QwkSport2.5r 02-26-2019 06:08 PM

Tuning nitro is a methodical process. You have to handle it with a certain procedure. Having experience with engine sounds and reading glow plugs will greatly help. Tuning nitro is pretty easy once you get a few simple things filed in the memory banks.

My biggest suggestions are to use premium glow plugs - it’s best to stick with the same brand of plug as the engine or better. Use quality fuel with the proper oil and nitro contents/types. Not all fuels are created equal.