RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   motor upgrade (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/2045977-motor-upgrade.html)

epicmaxx 08-02-2004 09:56 AM

motor upgrade

what motor is a direct replacement for the pro .15 tmaxx for under 200.00

R/C Madman 08-02-2004 10:20 AM

RE: motor upgrade

What are you looking for? Just an engine to replace the old worn out one or are you looking for more power? If you are just looking to replace it you can bring the old one to your LHS or send it to Traxxas and for (I think) $75 get a new one.

schmism 08-02-2004 01:42 PM

I love my Epic .18 with rotery carb.

you dont have to convert linckage, and use the header and pipe from the .15 with it.

breaking is a PITA with the epic, but after that its been a " starts on the second pull" motor with wheely power [>:]

epicmaxx 08-02-2004 05:30 PM

i had an epic but it recently had a problem

GoonieAsian 08-02-2004 11:32 PM

another good engine is the new O.S. .18 CV-RX short shaft. i broke one of those in for one of my customers and drove it around it has plenty of power.

ils 08-24-2004 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: GoonieAsian

another good engine is the new O.S. .18 CV-RX short shaft. i broke one of those in for one of my customers and drove it around it has plenty of power.
Is this the engine you are referring to?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGP8&P=7

I have the original t and looking for the engine replacement. Can you confirm that this engine will replace the original .15 of the t-maxx without any modification? If this engine is a direct fit, I will order one.
Thank you much in advance. And to anyone who can comment on this.

redheat8 08-25-2004 01:13 PM

Wasp .18 fits right in , RED

kimberklr 08-25-2004 04:33 PM

thats it.
i highly recomend it.we just put a gallon through my buddies and all i can say is once my fantom fr18 wears out i will be replaceing it with this motor.my fantom does have more power than it but its not a really noticeable differance and the os makes up for that difference in every other aspect.
you will however want to invest in a better exaust system though.were running a ported stock .15pro manifold with a ae pipe right now and it runs really strong but i'm sure it could be alittle better with a better exaust system.you should be able to easily get the motor,new header and pipe for under 200.the motor is 140 after the 20 discount at tower so that gives you 60 bucks for a pipe and header.the only other thing i recommend is a 20t clutch bell.you may already have one on yours but my buddie put the 18t on his .15pro(as alot of peps do) and it turned out to be geared to low for the os.
oh almost forgot.if your still running the ez-start system you'll have to get a glow igniter for this motor since its a pull start.

ils 08-25-2004 06:53 PM

RED: thank you much for the reply.

kimberklr: thanks for the reply and advice with the header and pipe. I did got rid of that blue wire and bought a seperate glow igniter quite a while back.

I am not a racer and don't have much spare time. Whenever I get a chance, I just want to take it out and make some noise and raise some dust.

kimberklr 08-25-2004 08:12 PM

then i think its a no brainer.
for some better advice on which header to get go to the traxxas forums and pull a search on it.theres acouple peps over there running that motor and experimenting with different combos.

redheat8 08-26-2004 04:36 PM

If your talking about the hole pipe for the Maxx try the Golden Horizon Pipe , great pipe that has the same bend as the stock pipe ,alittle louder, and has plenty of punch ,all for the low price of 30.bux. In fact I'm getting another one for the other Maxx, match it up with a MC59 plug, can be purchased threw Tower, RED