RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Tranny Issues (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/3385159-tranny-issues.html)

Custom G-Rafix 09-22-2005 09:57 PM

Tranny Issues

1 Attachment(s)
I have a T maxx, just bought a used tranny. Almost brand new. Wasn't even dirty.
I was getting ready to install it, and it's not grabbing when i spin the spur.
I tore it down, thinking i bought a junker. Everything inside looks just as good as the outside.
This thing has seen very little run time.
I know that you have to have the spur gear down pretty tight, to keep that from slipping.
I'm lost. Everything looks good. It has the reverse which i'm not used to. Maybe this is the problem
I have an S Maxx, and am trying to upgrade to reverse. Is there a trick to the reverse slider? Has to be set just right in order to grab the gears in forward or reverse?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

stilllost 09-23-2005 02:04 AM

RE: Tranny Issues

reverse is great but its best to stay with forward only. doing so will help the truck be a bit quicker. not to mention cheaper to fix. stick with forward only you will only miss it for the first couple of outings. it could make you a better driver to lord know i hate running to gte my truck out of a corner

RevoAddict 09-23-2005 02:15 AM

agree with stillost. stay with forward only.

ride1226 09-23-2005 06:25 AM

theres nothing wrong with your tranny...the thing is that there is another clutch inside the tranny when u have reverse...so you have to get that spur gear spinning real fast to get your outdrives to move...put an air compressor and blow air on the spur to get it to spin fast and youll see what i meen....for 11 bucks though itd be worth putting in the foc (forward only conversion) it eliminates all that stuff in your tranny and makes your truck quicker off the line and eliminates the jumpyness at low speeds

D0G 09-23-2005 06:14 PM

I re did my tranny 2 speed. I found that the little shoe on the forward gear, that is held in my a screw and spring. That little shoe is very easy to adjust wrong. If you have the screw to tight, the shoe will not open unless the gear is being spun faster. The shoe, basically being half of a centrifugal clutch, needs to be adjusted to open at the right time. Simply by loosening/tightening the screw will do that. Just the same as the 2nd gear adjustment. However there is no way to adjust the initial gear without having the gearbox taken apart..I dont know if this is your issue, I do know that when I changed my gears, this was my solution to the same problem you seem to have.

Custom G-Rafix 09-23-2005 07:29 PM

Wow. That's some good help! Thanks
I did however adjust that little second clutch your talking about, is that going to be to hard to get back into the tweeked position?

rc dude8675 09-23-2005 08:13 PM

do you have the red thingies on the spur gear? because if you dont then the spacers cant grip the spur and it wont go anywhere

Custom G-Rafix 09-23-2005 10:19 PM

Ya,
Everything is well in tac.
I think it's the centrifugal clutch as D0G put it.
But.. Does anybody know the factory specs to get that adjuster back to the tweeked settings?
Or do you have to just keep tearing it apart to adjust it.
Thanks For All The Help!
:D

D0G 09-26-2005 09:40 AM

LOL, I asked the same Question and got no reply..So I just kept on rippin the tranny apart, and adjusting that screw ever so slightly. One thing is you learn how to remove the tranny in under 3 minutes..lol. I think you have to just turn that screw very little or it can get way out of whack. I also tried to 'feel' how much effort it took to release the shoe on the reverse gear (DONT TOUCH THAT SCREW)...lol but you can flip the shoe up and see what kind of force it takes, just to get an idea, or measure the distance the screw is in on the reverse gear and try to match it. All I did was keep takin the tranny apart. took me about 5 times to get it right.
I cant believe there is no instructions on how to adjust that in the package with the new gears. I got the Robinson metal gears, and there was nothing but parts in the bag. Nothing even told me to transfer that shoe, though thats self explanitory, the adjustment isnt.

Good luck. Dont forget to post your results..lol