RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Anyone know what to do about a stripped screw? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/7496622-anyone-know-what-do-about-stripped-screw.html)

drummerboy68028 05-14-2008 06:09 PM

Anyone know what to do about a stripped screw?

this screw is not like traditional stripped screws.... you know, like the ones when they aren't in the truck... this one is in the truck and i cant get it out for the life of me. Anybody know what i could do? My engine is stuck in there until i can get that screw out and replace it

MTpockets 05-14-2008 06:36 PM

RE: Anyone know what to do about a stripped screw?

try to use a dremel to cut a slot in it and use a flat head screwdriver. ive done it a few times. or you could drill the head off and use vice grips to get the rest out.

Soppy 05-14-2008 06:56 PM

I've heard the drilling method works, just don't hit the plastic.

matts6887 05-14-2008 10:01 PM

Or u can get something I believe is called a "screw extractor" that u use on the end of a drill or something like that to kinda drill down and then be able to slooowly pull the head of the screw out...

drummerboy68028 05-14-2008 10:21 PM

but this is one of the 4 screws holding the engine in.. and its on the ez start side... i can barely get my puny little allen wrench down that opening, much less a screw extracter... would just brute force to get it out hurt the engine mount?

youwish16 05-14-2008 10:29 PM

take the easy start off.

i am having the same problem on my buggy, one of the 4 screws that holds in the front diff is stripped. sportwerks puts so much damn locktight on these things its a pain to break them loose the first time

DaveG55 05-14-2008 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: drummerboy68028

but this is one of the 4 screws holding the engine in.. and its on the ez start side... i can barely get my puny little allen wrench down that opening, much less a screw extracter... would just brute force to get it out hurt the engine mount?
Yes, brute force will likely break the mount. EZ-Outs do not work well on small screws. Your best bet is to drill the head off of the screw. Once the preasure has been released the remains of the screw can be removed with plyers. But MTpockets already told you that.....

rangerfredbob 05-15-2008 12:00 AM

pull the cooling head off first, then drill the head of the screw off... that will give you plenty of room

beer=food 05-15-2008 02:31 AM

Soak the thing in WD40 or Rp7, for overnight period, it should free up, tap it with a hole punch after its soaked see if it frees up. Wedge a thin hi tensile screw driver under the head if you can while unscrewing, should bite if its threaded, if its just siezed WD40 should work, multi grips are just to big even the tiny ones for what you want, if the screw driver cut doesnt work all you can do is drill the whole nut/bolt out, a really good drill bit is needed for that and it will probably still go blunt, but if you can drill the head out a hammer and punch will fix it from there, bite the bullet in that case and upsize the nuts/bolts.

iamnot 05-15-2008 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

pull the cooling head off first, then drill the head of the screw off... that will give you plenty of room
i would not
remove the head
too big a chance to get shavings/filings
in the engine
and that would be bad

i would drill the head off
since there's so little room
done it a bunch of times
it's really easy
and i have yet to
dull a bit
or damage any thing
you just have
to be carefull

[email protected] 05-15-2008 06:54 AM

if its the mount just remove the engine.

cdextreme 05-15-2008 09:06 AM

From what I understand from his post, it is one of the 4 bolts holding the engine down. I agree with removing your cooling head and using a drill. if you are afraid of fillings cover the openings with masking tape. Being over the screw is alot better than trying to get it from the side and having it skate off and damage something else.

maxxed101 05-16-2008 08:57 PM

If you can put any force at all on the screw with your allen wrench, then heat the screw with a pencil torch first. You should be able to remove the screw while it's still hot. If you don't have a little torch, your local crack head can hook you up.