RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   3.3 TRX piston failure (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/7795821-3-3-trx-piston-failure.html)

Rawlpower 08-01-2008 07:08 AM

3.3 TRX piston failure

1 Attachment(s)
After less than 10 tanks of fuel, and having my new Revo for less than a week, I started noticing a metallic residue on the glow plug. I emailed Traxxas Support, and they advised me to strip the engine to check for internal damage. Check out this piston failure.

Little chunks of metal separated from the piston, and completely damaged the piston, sleeve, crankshaft etc.

And this even after running the motor in according to the 5 tank program!!

Rawlpower 08-01-2008 07:16 AM

RE: 3.3 TRX piston failure

1 Attachment(s)
Check out these further shots

t-maxxmaniac 08-01-2008 07:17 AM

ouch, sometimes it happens...is traxxas gona send you new engine?

GreenRacer 08-01-2008 07:18 AM

Yeeouch! Get that sucker replaced! :D

Rawlpower 08-01-2008 07:19 AM

I have emailed them with my photos and my story, I really hope so.

I know that I didn't abuse this engine, so I don't see why it should fail so quickly

racemaxx24 08-01-2008 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Rawlpower

I have emailed them with my photos and my story, I really hope so.

I know that I didn't abuse this engine, so I don't see why it should fail so quickly
They will replace it. Man that really sucks. It must have gotten really brittle and broke of...

Xtfreak 08-01-2008 09:02 AM

Yes they will, Traxxas has great customer support

Rawlpower 08-04-2008 08:19 AM

Good news, Traxxas has authorised my LHS to perform the replacement of the damaged parts on this engine.

I have asked them, instead, to replace the whole engine simply because the crankcase housing has been marred by the bits of metal that broke off the piston head.

Also, apparently the cost of the replacement parts exceeds the cost of a new engine.

GreenRacer 08-04-2008 08:24 AM

Glad it worked out for you! :) [sm=thumbup.gif]

warheadforever 08-04-2008 09:11 AM

Yea, I am to, I love Traxxas's customer support, they are the BEST! LOL :D

matts6887 08-04-2008 09:38 AM

That sucks man to have to hear about this happening to anyone!; BUT!!! its also good to hear that traxxas has authorized the replacement of the engine via the local shop rather than u having to send it. Yet just another example of outstanding customer support from traxxas.[8D]

Rawlpower 08-06-2008 01:32 AM

And good news - Traxxas have authorised the replacement of the whole engine rather than just the components!!!

So I'm happy.

BTW, the reason its going through the LHS is because I'm in South Africa, so the shipping costs between myself and Traxxas would have been prohibitive.

beer=food 08-06-2008 02:32 AM

Run a little richer.

Rawlpower 08-08-2008 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well great news, Traxxas supplied me with a brand new engine.

It starts FAR more easily than the first motor (this one starts almost instantly with the EZ Start) and the idle is much more reliable than the old engine.

I guess my first engine was not the best one.

Here is a picture with everything reassembled.

warheadforever 08-08-2008 07:33 AM

Looks great! I am glad that Traxxas has been good to you. I really like their customer support.:D;)

beer=food 08-08-2008 04:13 PM

lucky man you are, that piston looks a bit quarterised ! LOL !
Lean running, and its got hot too.
Well done full credit to traxxas they really do have incredible customer support for a hobby company.

Rawlpower 08-11-2008 09:12 AM

I don't think the engine was lean at all.

There was loads of smoke, temps were low and there was no "blue" tinges on the metal to indicate overheating. The LHS owner said he thought it was a casting issue with the piston head.

Why do you say the engine was too lean?

matts6887 08-11-2008 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Rawlpower

Well great news, Traxxas supplied me with a brand new engine.

It starts FAR more easily than the first motor (this one starts almost instantly with the EZ Start) and the idle is much more reliable than the old engine.

I guess my first engine was not the best one.

Here is a picture with everything reassembled.

That looks exactly the same as my revo does!! wheels and all....[8D]