RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 or HPI SAVAGE??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/8141231-traxxas-t-maxx-3-3-hpi-savage.html)

usa98030 11-12-2008 06:55 PM

Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 or HPI SAVAGE???

I was wondering which one of these i should get. I've done alot of research and it came down to the 2. I KNOW A REVO WOULD BE BETTER BUT CAN"T AFFORD IT. Also does the T-Maxx have a suspension like the revo because i wan't to make mine walk down stairs lol!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

rotor head33 11-12-2008 07:01 PM

RE: Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 or HPI SAVAGE???

the max doesnt have a suspension like a revo and i would choose the savage because iv seen both and i think the savage is tougher. savage xl if you can get it and this is def my choice. just my .2 cents

xerxes5 11-12-2008 07:41 PM

I've got a T-Maxx 3.3 and that thing is awesome. Well Constructed. You can for sure take it down the stairs. Pain in the ass to clean. The savage has a narrower body and is HUGE. Tmaxx is prolly faster. SO MANY UPGRADES.

rotor head33 11-12-2008 09:59 PM

but i just dont feel that the maxx holds up as well

cmerritt 11-12-2008 10:01 PM

the savage may be a little stronger but the maxx i think is more agile and has EXCELLENT customer support. also the upgrades are endless.....

PrjctStrtFrce 11-12-2008 11:23 PM

T-Maxx is a little faster than the Savage, but that's because it is SMALLER. I would sacrifice a few mph for some more toughness. If you think about it, you won't be needing top speed that much, but you will always want durability. As for agility, T-Maxx but nothing that stiffer springs couldn't fix in a Savage, and a softer suspension is key in bashing and jumping. Both Savage and T-Maxx have an extensive list of after-market parts, and I know that HPI has great customer service.

T-Maxx=smaller, quicker, more of a handler
Savage=bigger, a little slower, more of a jumper

xerxes5 11-13-2008 09:39 AM

Yes Yes I agree with that. No matter HPI or Traxxas, you will have great customer service

dkastil 11-13-2008 06:30 PM

the tmax 3.3 and revo3.3 are about the same cost you can get bolth on ebay from 380 to 450 new.

TMaxxDriver 11-13-2008 10:38 PM

Revo all the way!

scxtreme 11-15-2008 01:45 PM

I have 2 T-Maxx 2.5s and a new T-Maxx 3.3 4908. I just picked up a Savage X4.1 in a trade.I've run them all and I can see how the Savage X is built stronger in some areas.It's quite a bit heavier.It has more torque ,but, my T-Maxx 3.3 is quicker overall and atleast feels more explosive and exciting to drive. I like the Savages modular transmission housings and diff housings. Then again on the otherhand I also prefer the T-Maxx's ball joint set up which are easier to keep tight and new feeling. So there's pros and cons to both and alot is a matter of opinion. If you're concerned with size, the Savage XL is very big compared to the Savage X and T-Maxx 3.3.The later 2 are, for all practical purposes, the same size, with the Savage X being heavier ,but, the T-Maxx 3.3 is actually bigger in some measurements when sitting side by side.again it's opinion and mine is that I like them all with a slight edge going to my T-Maxx 3.3 atleast until I try a new Savage X SS 4.6 or the XL 5.9

tadpole69 12-04-2008 02:32 PM

Well I have one t-maxx 2.5 and one 3.3 (4908) and a Savage x 4.6 rtr and i think that the T-maxx 3.3 is more fun to drive because it has a lot more snap and more low end grunt!!!!

donkeymaxx 12-04-2008 04:24 PM

I have 3 t-maxxes. One of the best things about them are the parts are easy to come by. I never order parts. SOmeone around here always has them.

xerxes5 12-04-2008 07:32 PM

No matter, replacements and upgrades are always expensive on currently popular cars.

matts6887 12-04-2008 08:58 PM

I would have to say tmaxx becuase of the fact that its built by a reputable company that backs what it sells with EXCELLENT support as well as the fact that like one of the others mentioned already; it has upgrades galore for it....

t-max97 12-04-2008 09:01 PM

i have a t-maxx but based on what i've read and that i have a t-maxx i would say get the t-maxx i think you'll be happy.

S.R.G. 12-20-2008 12:25 AM

Tmaxx all the way. EZ Start system, excellent customer support, reliability, and brute force.

Dale Gribble 12-20-2008 12:39 AM

I started years ago with a T-Maxx, and have since been a big Savage fan. Recently, I have started building a mutt T-Maxx 3.3 4908 from eBay parts. I have to admit, the new parts for the Maxx are so much different than before. I still can't get over the chassis braces, driveshafts, slipper clutch and chassis on the new maxx. It's like what I remember but MUCH beefier.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either truck. They are both great so pick the one YOU like best.

motormouth27 12-20-2008 08:54 AM

I would buy the revo 3.3 if you have a little extra money it is a great truck but the t-maxx has different set up

S.R.G. 12-20-2008 09:12 AM

I have observed a Tmaxx, and they are very nice. Done the sam with a Savage, and it was a great RC as well. For me though, I go with a Revo 3.3. Really, the Revo 3.3 is just as expensive as the Tmaxx, after you use the coupon at Advantage Hobby :)

quadracer111 12-20-2008 10:40 AM

Savage cannot be beat. Get a savage xl and NEVER look back. I almost like my savvy xl better than my small block revo, we will see when i get a big block into my revo [>:]
Or if you cannot afford a savvy xl just get a savage x. IMO better than a t-maxx. The t-maxx has a plastic chassis. Savage is like alloy. Get the savage. It has a bigger, better, more reliable engine. And it is easier to tune ect.

S.R.G. 12-20-2008 03:47 PM

Go to Advantage Hobby. Use the coupon 10off100, and buy the Revo. I have a Revo, friend has a Savage. I like my Revo, and he lies his Savage. It is a matter of preference. I have been way harder on my Revo than he has, an he has broken more parts. He is currently leaning towards getting the Revo. You cannot go wrong with either, it is really about preference.