RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Hi all simple engine question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/8208553-hi-all-simple-engine-question.html)

Traxxassss fast!!! 12-03-2008 11:45 AM

Hi all simple engine question

1 Attachment(s)
This is my T-MAXX i was told it was a 2.5 in a 3.3 chasis with the larger and stronger parts (drive train). I want to put a 3.3 in it,anyway the guy at Traxxas said it's a pro .15.i want your opinions cause i looked at the pro .15 and this looks identical to the 3.3 just a bit smaller bore same block and a little smaller head.What is your thoughts? I hope these pix turned out ok cause my cam is a piece of you know what.Thanks.

donkeymaxx 12-03-2008 11:47 AM

RE: Hi all simple engine question

its a 2.5R. I like that motor... it keeps your wheels on the ground.

And yes those are good arms..... RPM!!!

Traxxassss fast!!! 12-03-2008 11:50 AM

Thank you,i knew he just wanted me to buy parts that are un needed.So a 3.3 will drop right in it right?

donkeymaxx 12-03-2008 11:53 AM

yeah it will drop in fine. You may need to upgrade some of your drivertrain though. The 2.5 stuff wont hold up too long. THat is what i am going through right now on one of my 2.5 maxxes that i put a 3.3 in.

matts6887 12-03-2008 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Traxxassss fast!!!

Thank you,i knew he just wanted me to buy parts that are un needed.So a 3.3 will drop right in it right?
yes, a 3.3 will drop right in just fine without any modifications to the chassis or engine mount...:)

Traxxassss fast!!! 12-03-2008 12:00 PM

Thanks,that's what i figure cause the drive lines alone are like 3x's the size of a round pencil.I think it origanly had the 3.3 and after the deal was done dude yanked it and droped the 2.5 in it,wich is ok cause i didn't care,so he did tell me it is a 2.5.But it is all up graded to handle a 3.3.

donkeymaxx 12-03-2008 12:03 PM

is the tranny grey or black.... If it is grey it has the new 3.3/2.5R tranny that is good.... if it is black it is the older crap.

All my trannys are black :(

Traxxassss fast!!! 12-03-2008 06:48 PM

Oh shoot the tranny is old school black.It's old it has reveverse but i discionnected it.Any more detailes would be greatly appriciated.Thanks,i do apologigige for my spelling.I'm a feather weight boxer and got my a ss whooped,so i got to go and get a few stiiches in, Swear on my cats life,man dude got the best of me FUUUUUUUUCC. HeY IT HAPPENS

matts6887 12-03-2008 06:52 PM

Oh shoot the tranny is old school black.It's old it has reveverse but i discionnected it.Any more detailes would be greatly appriciated.Thanks,i do apologigige for my spelling.I'm a feather weight boxer and got my a ss whooped,so i got to go and get a few stiiches in, Swear on my cats life,man dude got the best of me FUUUUUUUUCC. HeY IT HAPPENS
I would be careful about ur use of the "F" word there man; if the mods see it; or it gets reported by someone; u may get warned about it...just something to keep in mind...

now back to the topic at hand....well even if its a old skool trans; it should still work fine assuming all the gears inside are still in tact and whatnot....

dacaur 12-03-2008 10:29 PM

You tell him to watch his language, And then you you leave it in your quote.... :eek:

tadpole69 12-04-2008 02:57 PM

Hey Nice A-arms RPM Real nice!!!!LOL and is far as ur motor it looks like a 2.5R or a regular 2.5 like mine but upgraded cooling head IDK but as far as the 3.3 in there wold be CRAZY but awesome!!![X(]

matts6887 12-04-2008 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tadpole69

Hey Nice A-arms RPM Real nice!!!!LOL and is far as ur motor it looks like a 2.5R or a regular 2.5 like mine but upgraded cooling head IDK but as far as the 3.3 in there wold be CRAZY but awesome!!![X(]
+1!!; that was kinda my thoughts as well on this one....

Traxxassss fast!!! 12-05-2008 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah i'm thinking leave the 2.5 in,i mean why put a 3.3? It goes just as fast but doesn't keep up due to the 3.3 over powering it with torque.Lets face it all the 3.3 is the same block same block different..So to to the slighty larger 3.3,2 dfferencas,(1) larger bore ((and stroke).Mine with the 2.5 can spin around on black top,on 3 wheels.

matts6887 12-05-2008 01:11 PM

Yeah i'm thinking leave the 2.5 in,i mean why put a 3.3? It goes just as fast but doesn't keep up due to the 3.3 over powering it with torque.Lets face it all the 3.3 is the same block same block different..So to to the slighty larger 3.3,2 dfferencas,(1) larger bore ((and stroke).Mine with the 2.5 can spin around on black top,on 3 wheels.
Well then, in this case I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it; I mean I guess if the 2.5 suits u perfectly fine and it still runs and performs good enough for ya, then why spend the $ to upgrade to the 3.3? I mean that is unless u really do at some point change ur mind and do want a little more power....at that point I would say go for it; but for now, just stick with what u have...:)

Thunderbird93 12-05-2008 01:47 PM

If you were to put a 3.3 in there don't upgrade the drivetrain until something breaks. When I put my Sirio .23 in my S-Maxx 5 yrs ago it took a while for the rear diff to go out and then every once in a while the axle shafts would snap and that's all. And I know the 3.3 isn't nowhere nearly as powerful as the Sirio .23