RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Engine Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/8499612-engine-help.html)

george3.3 02-20-2009 07:56 PM

Engine Help

3.3 won't stay running after I remove the glow igniter. I just tried new fuel, new fuel tubing, and have tried my stock exhaust and my Vantage pipe which I have had no problems with in the past and new glow plug and it is at stock settings. When I removed the glow plugs they where pretty wet which is of course not normal. I get it started with no prob. and can rev it and even idle but when I remove the Glow Igniter it dies immediately. Thanks for the help!!

george3.3 02-20-2009 08:20 PM

RE: Engine Help

Both Plugs are good that I have tried should I try a hotter plug? I have never had experienced this due to a plug temp though.

DaveG55 02-20-2009 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: george3.3

3.3 won't stay running after I remove the glow igniter. I just tried new fuel, new fuel tubing, and have tried my stock exhaust and my Vantage pipe which I have had no problems with in the past and new glow plug and it is at stock settings. When I removed the glow plugs they where pretty wet which is of course not normal. I get it started with no prob. and can rev it and even idle but when I remove the Glow Igniter it dies immediately. Thanks for the help!!

The stock settings are your problem. Tune the engine and the dieing will go away. The stock settings are for break-in or as a starting point for tuning. They were never meant to be the normal running settings.

matts6887 02-20-2009 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

The stock settings are your problem. Tune the engine and the dieing will go away. The stock settings are for break-in or as a starting point for tuning. They were never meant to be the normal running settings.
+1!!!; the stock settings really should only be used as a "starting aid" if everything else fails in terms of overall adjustments......

george3.3 02-20-2009 11:46 PM

I just got in from the garage. Took the engine apart cleaned it all up put it back together put in another brand new glow plug and tried it again, same out come. I have in Nitro for 3 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing this one just has me going crazy. Any other ideas besides glow plug and being to rich?

Dsyyke 02-20-2009 11:47 PM

hmmmm,how co;d is it,outside?

george3.3 02-20-2009 11:49 PM

probably about 50 in the garage.

GreenRacer 02-21-2009 12:16 AM

What plug are you using, and what % of nitro?

george3.3 02-21-2009 12:25 AM

30% 14% oil and the plug is a Traxxas 3232x-long medium temp.

GreenRacer 02-21-2009 12:31 AM

30% 14% oil and the plug is a Traxxas 3232x-long medium temp.
Not sure if that is your specific problem but that plug is for 10% - 20% nitro. You should use a colder plug.

george3.3 02-21-2009 12:36 AM

I wouldn't want to use a hotter plug since it needs the igniter to stay running?

GreenRacer 02-21-2009 12:41 AM

No, the hotter the plug the less nitro content necessary. If you use a med-hot plug on 30% it may overheat your engine and burn itself out really fast.

http://www.maxxtraxxusa.com/Glow_Plu..._in_herre_.cfm

I can't find a better reference right now, but it gives you the idea there.

george3.3 02-21-2009 12:51 AM

I will look to see if I have a cooler plug if not I will buy one tomorrow. Should I just get a cold plug O.S.?

DaveG55 02-21-2009 11:59 AM

I just got in from the garage. Took the engine apart cleaned it all up put it back together put in another brand new glow plug and tried it again, same out come. I have in Nitro for 3 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing this one just has me going crazy. Any other ideas besides glow plug and being to rich?

3 years huh??? I got my first nitro engine in 1965.
I stiil put my money on tuning. You're way too rich - probably on both the LSN & HSN. The excess fuel is cooling the GP so much that it cannot sustain ignition once the ignitor is removed. A very common problem at factory settings.
Your symptoms are 99% of the time caused by one of two things - a bad/weak GP or being too rich. Since you've tried 3 different GPs I'm betting on too rich. The temp range of the GP will affect an engines performance but should not keep an engine from running on it's own.

george3.3 02-21-2009 12:58 PM

My point was no to tell anyone that I know more then them I am willing to always take advice that is why I am here asking. I just wanted to let people know that I am not trying to tune my truck for the first time. If I thought I know everything because I have been doing it for 3 years I would not be asking, just rying to give as much info as possible.

ArloRogers 02-21-2009 04:54 PM

This one is simple, take the wifes hair dryer and heat the engine block up before starting the engine. Nitro engines are like desiels, they need a warm block to make combustion. LOL

DaveG55 02-21-2009 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: ArloRogers

This one is simple, take the wifes hair dryer and heat the engine block up before starting the engine. Nitro engines are like desiels, they need a warm block to make combustion. LOL
There are so many things wrong with those statements......

First he can get it started just not keep it running
Heating with a heat gun/hair dryer only eases compression, it does nothing for the glow plug or combustion
Diesel engines don't preheat the block, they warm their glow plugs
A warm block has nothing to do with making combustion
If your block is warm(hot) enough to make combustion then you've really got big problems

To the OP, no offnce taken here, just trying to show that I have enough experience to make suggestions for you. Also, it seems that all you have talked/asked about is the GP and I really do not think the plug is the problem.
Have you tried geting it started and leaning the engine out? It may take a substantial amount of leaning but start with the HSN and lean it 1/4 turn then lean the LSN 1/8 turn. Continue like that until the engine stays running. Once you get it to stay running you can go ahead and tune it for performance.
Good Luck

george3.3 02-21-2009 05:36 PM

I bought 2 MC9 Dynamite plugs. I am having better luck but it still won't idle more then 20 seconds. I have it sitting on my RDLogics stand and it is revving enough to get the temps up to 210-215 but need to leave the igniter on to do so. The LSN is at about 1.5 turns out and if I go up or down from there it runs worse.

george3.3 02-21-2009 05:40 PM

Maybe its a good time to just strip the whole truck down clean it all up and start fresh, I just don't get it. It makes all the sense in the world that is running rich but I can't get it to run leaner. Did I buy old fuel from Hobbytown??

george3.3 02-21-2009 05:44 PM

There are so many things wrong with those statements......

First he can get it started just not keep it running
Heating with a heat gun/hair dryer only eases compression, it does nothing for the glow plug or combustion
Diesel engines don't preheat the block, they warm their glow plugs
A warm block has nothing to do with making combustion
If your block is warm(hot) enough to make combustion then you've really got big problems

To the OP, no offnce taken here, just trying to show that I have enough experience to make suggestions for you. Also, it seems that all you have talked/asked about is the GP and I really do not think the plug is the problem.
Have you tried geting it started and leaning the engine out? It may take a substantial amount of leaning but start with the HSN and lean it 1/4 turn then lean the LSN 1/8 turn. Continue like that until the engine stays running. Once you get it to stay running you can go ahead and tune it for performance.
Good Luck
[/quote]

So as soon as I get it going take the igniter off and adjust the HSN (lean it)? do you think the LSN is ok at 1.5 turns until I get the HSN set? Thank you for your help.

ArloRogers 02-21-2009 06:24 PM

I live in WV and it'a colder than a well diggers behind here. I just went out and ran one of my trucks. It would not stay running without power to yhe glow plug until I used the hair dryer on it. It may not make since but it works. However if you had it running on the stand and warmed it up I'd try advancing the idle first and then greasing the backplate and cab O ring in case one or both are sucking air. I'm with you I've been running nitro for a little over 20 years and am still learning. Beat me up, call me stupid I don't care as long as I learn something from it. LOL

ArloRogers 02-21-2009 08:26 PM

Not sure what planet your form but the plug hanging from the desiels around here are to power BLOCK HEATERS. Without them we could not start our desiels in the winter. A simple Goggle search will get you up to speed on the subject.

fabrimacator21 02-21-2009 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: ArloRogers

Not sure what planet your form but the plug hanging from the desiels around here are to power BLOCK HEATERS. Without them we could not start our desiels in the winter. A simple Goggle search will get you up to speed on the subject.
Like he said the OP doesn't have a problem getting it started, he can't keep it running. Once it's started it's not the block temp. Block heaters don't do anyting for the motor once it's running.

GreenRacer 02-22-2009 12:11 AM

C..can't we all jus get along? [&:]

:D

fabrimacator21 02-22-2009 12:21 AM

What fun would that be?:D;)