Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic
Reload this Page >

1-K Heater fuel grade Kero okay?

Notices
Turbine Clinic Get direct support from the major turbine manufacturer support reps in here.

1-K Heater fuel grade Kero okay?

Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 AM
900LX_driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1-K Heater fuel grade Kero okay?

Hey guys,

I'm new to turbines so I triple check everything - sorry for the dumb questions. Swiwin recommends running Kero through their motors (and it's about impossible to get Jet-A from an FBO where I'm at), so I came across some "Klean strip" 1-K heater fuel Kerosene. I'm assuming that will work fine?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

You don't have pump kero available near you?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM
900LX_driver

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
You don't have pump kero available near you?
Not anywhere close, no.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:02 PM
ravill

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, 1-k kerosene is just fine.
The following users liked this post:
900LX_driver (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:46 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I used 1-K when I first started flying turbines for a little while as well. It was just too expensive. When I started putting 4-5 flights per trip to the field it became cost prohibitive, so I pivoted to Jet-A1. You're going to burn a lot more kero than you did on gasoline prop-planes. I have 120cc prop planes and they sip fuel compared to my turbines.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 10-19-2020 at 12:50 PM.
900LX_driver (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:30 PM
900LX_driver

Hey Fellas,

Thanks so much for all of the comments. I did manage to work with an FBO on some Jet-A, so hopefully I can continue to work with them for my fuel needs. Just makes things so much easier, especially in consideration of what skunkwurk said. I’ll always have Kero as a stand by, but definitely prefer Jet-A for the cost. Thanks again for being so helpful.

Last edited by 900LX_driver; 10-20-2020 at 08:37 PM.
skunkwurk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

900 I was the same as yourself, thought 1-K was the way to go plus sometimes it stinks less but like others have mentioned depending were you are its can get really expensive especially if your flying more than 5 times in a day and the size of your turbine is greater than a 140 size. If its 80-100 turbine I think its Ok but as long as you can handle the smell of Jet-A.

I use the exact same 1-K as your looking at, but I fly a lot and started switching to diesel using KingTech oil, the turbine you have is brother version of the ACEx version I have and all the guys around here use Diesel and KT oil.
IMO after the many reads on here and seeing and talking to others this is your best value and while I hard time believing this better for your Turbine. This summer my buddy and I used a 80 ACEx turbine, used Diesel with KingTech oil, the turbine has around 15hrs on it just from the summer alone and no flame outs, no hot starts and runs perfect. Between my buddy and I we have 2 80s, 140, 170 and 220 and most of them are using running Diesel and no issues just like the 80 sized turbine.

From another thread in the Jet section PilotMD11 wrote this "To me, the convenience, extra power, and cooler running turbine; I stick with diesel. Diesel usually has a lower pump amp draw over kerosene/Jet-A1 due to extra lubricative qualities" I have no reason to question that view, based on what I have seen over the last 2-3 years, like I said I had all the same questions as yourself. So here very soon I will use Diesel only and get off using 1-K Kero only for the fact its 2-3X more expensive per Gal vs Diesel. Just a tip if your transporting your fuel can in a car, go to Home Depot and get the heavy commercial black bags and use to store and transport your jet fuel can, otherwise over time it will sink up your car, but using the black bag takes most of the smell away.

Last edited by F900; 10-22-2020 at 03:53 PM.
900LX_driver (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:29 PM
900LX_driver

Originally Posted by F900 View Post
900 I was the same as yourself, thought 1-K was the way to go plus sometimes it stinks less but like others have mentioned depending were you are its can get really expensive especially if your flying more than 5 times in a day and the size of your turbine is greater than a 140 size. If its 80-100 turbine I think its Ok but as long as you can handle the smell of Jet-A.

I use the exact same 1-K as your looking at, but I fly a lot and started switching to diesel using KingTech oil, the turbine you have is brother version of the ACEx version I have and all the guys around here use Diesel and KT oil.
IMO after the many reads on here and seeing and talking to others is you best bet. This summer my buddy and I used a 80 ACEx turbine, used Diesel with KingTech oil, the turbine has around 15hrs on it just from the summer alone and no flame outs, no hot starts and runs perfect. Between my buddy and I we have 2 80s, 140, 170 and 220 and most of them are using running Diesel and no issues just like the 80 sized turbine.

From another thread in the Jet section PilotMD11 wrote this "To me, the convenience, extra power, and cooler running turbine; I stick with diesel. Diesel usually has a lower pump amp draw over kerosene/Jet-A1 due to extra lubricative qualities" I have no reason to question that view, based on what I have seen over the last 2-3 years, like I said I had all the same questions as yourself. So here very soon I will use Diesel only and get off using 1-K Kero only for the fact its 2-3X more expensive per Gal vs Diesel. Just a tip if your transporting your fuel can in a car, go to Home Depot and get the heavy commercial black bags and use to to store and transport your jet fuel can, otherwise over time it will sink up your car, but using the black bag takes most of the smell away.
This is fantastic information man - thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:32 AM
MikePS

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO after the many reads on here and seeing and talking to others this is your best value and while I hard time believing this better for your Turbine. This summer my buddy and I used a 80 ACEx turbine, used Diesel with KingTech oil, the turbine has around 15hrs on it just from the summer alone and no flame outs, no hot starts and runs perfect. Between my buddy and I we have 2 80s, 140, 170 and 220 and most of them are using running Diesel and no issues just like the 80 sized turbine.

From another thread in the Jet section PilotMD11 wrote this "To me, the convenience, extra power, and cooler running turbine; I stick with diesel. Diesel usually has a lower pump amp draw over kerosene/Jet-A1 due to extra lubricative qualities" I have no reason to question that view, based on what I have seen over the last 2-3 years, like I said I had all the same questions as yourself. So here very soon I will use Diesel only and get off using 1-K Kero only for the fact its 2-3X more expensive per Gal vs Diesel. Just a tip if your transporting your fuel can in a car, go to Home Depot and get the heavy commercial black bags and use to store and transport your jet fuel can, otherwise over time it will sink up your car, but using the black bag takes most of the smell away.
What % Kingtech oil are you using with your diesel? I have owned nothing but KT turbines and always ran 5% (1 qt per 5 gal), but I just bought a ACEx (Swiwin) 80 and they call for 3% when running diesel...really not interested in having to keep two separate fuelers.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:15 AM
BarracudaHockey

Just run 4% and they will both be happy
Old 12-09-2020, 08:36 AM
MikePS

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Just run 4% and they will both be happy
right? or 5% & Kero...
Old 12-09-2020, 09:01 AM
BarracudaHockey

The 80B in the T33 ran great on kero/5% KT oil, same with my Jet Central Hornet
Old 12-09-2020, 01:45 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah 4% is fine for both turbines, but I have had no issue running 5% in the ACEx turbines. So now I use 5oz of KingTech oil for every 1 Gal of diesel. No bearing issues, hot starts or flameouts.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:44 PM
MikePS

Yeah 4% is fine for both turbines, but I have had no issue running 5% in the ACEx turbines. So now I use 5oz of KingTech oil for every 1 Gal of diesel. No bearing issues, hot starts or flameouts.
Thanks! That’s what I'll be doing.