Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic
Reload this Page >

RAM gas turbine will not start.

Notices
Turbine Clinic Get direct support from the major turbine manufacturer support reps in here.

RAM gas turbine will not start.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:51 AM
partshunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM gas turbine will not start.

Maybe some one can help me. My rebuilt Ram gas turbine will not start, wont even flash or fire up at all after burnt out 3-4 glo plugs. It does three trys and then shuts down like it should. I notice there is no glo plug glowing until the starter almost stops and I get three glo plug flashes for a half second. Should it not energize the glo plug at top starter speed at aprox 1200 RPM? Cant find an adjustment for that in the Ram programming ECU controller..
Old 09-06-2021, 03:34 AM
partshunt

My Ram 1000 will not start. I did an experiment and connected another glo plug externally, to watch when it glows. I click on the RUN" mode and and each time the starter winds up to about 1200 RPM, no glow plug will light until it slows down to near stopper then the glow plug flashes three times.in a half second. It does this three times and then quits because I keep the propane shut off to do this glow plug experiment. My question is, should not the glow plug light when the starter reaches peak or near peak RPM? Would not that be better?, why the glo plugs kicks in when the starter almost stops beats me.?? Any body got an answer to my problem?... thanks in advance...
Old 09-07-2021, 01:08 AM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram, FTE turbines

What you have is the normal start up for ram and FTE .
howevr these can be finneky to get right, it usually pops when coming back in low rpm before spooling up.
it has a sweet spot when the glow, rpm and gas work together and pop, sometimes you have to raise the glow, sometimes the gas. It needs lots of gas,
if your plug is flashing strong try raising the gas, I think the values are reversed so less is more.
you can contact Robert Price who made the ECU for ram for info on settings.
best of luck
Old 09-07-2021, 12:25 PM
partshunt

I will check with R Price, however, what is the point of the starter winding up to 1200 rpm, no glow, no start until the starter comes to near stop ,that is when the glow plug kicks, why so late?, all that calamity of wind tunnelling for nothing? Is there some Turbine effect that I am missing? Thank you for your reply and it is good to hear that this is a normal function at least....