RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Turbine Clinic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/turbine-clinic-57/)
-   -   Turbine Service before 25h? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/turbine-clinic-57/11702185-turbine-service-before-25h.html)

Thoemse 09-21-2022 05:42 AM

Turbine Service before 25h?

Hello everyone!

I got a question: I have a perfectly fine running jetsmunt VT80. I bought it second hand with a plane, used it a bit with a trainer this summer. It has a bit more than 15 hours on the clock now. Service intervall is 25 hours.
It runs like clockwork. The only thing I do not know is how old it is. It allready has a brushless pump so it shouldn't be THAT old. Is there any reason to service such an engine before time? I got no warranty on it and the bearings seem to be ok.

What do you think? Just fly until 25 hours or until something aint right? or is it better to service these things after some years no matter what?
I am just putting it into a brand new viperjet and that got me (over?)thinking.

luv2flyrc 09-21-2022 06:42 AM

You would be just wasting money to service a perfectly working turbine before 25 hours.

mongo 09-21-2022 11:59 AM

only good reason to service a great running turbine before it's service interval is,
if you are ready to sell it, and want to get that recent service to maybe increase the sell price/value.

imho, not worth the time cost and hassle.

BarracudaHockey 09-21-2022 01:09 PM

That's 60 flights minimum. It takes even me a while to put 60 flights on something even though I fly a LOT

Send it in at 25h

Thoemse 09-22-2022 12:09 AM

Thanks guys. I'll just keep flying it until 25h then. Barracuda: I agree. 60 Flights is a lot for me too.

ira d 09-22-2022 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Thoemse (Post 12744638)
Hello everyone!

I got a question: I have a perfectly fine running jetsmunt VT80. I bought it second hand with a plane, used it a bit with a trainer this summer. It has a bit more than 15 hours on the clock now. Service intervall is 25 hours.
It runs like clockwork. The only thing I do not know is how old it is. It allready has a brushless pump so it shouldn't be THAT old. Is there any reason to service such an engine before time? I got no warranty on it and the bearings seem to be ok.

What do you think? Just fly until 25 hours or until something aint right? or is it better to service these things after some years no matter what?

Do you have a place in mind for service? I dont think Jetmunt currently has a usa service center. Of course your location is not listed and you may be outside the usa
I have a 10year old VT80 with 23 hrs but I can tell it will soon need bearings.

Thoemse 09-22-2022 11:08 AM

I added that to my profile now. I live in austria. I can send it to spain once I need a service so that isn't an issue for me.

CRX Turbines 09-23-2022 04:14 AM

Jets Munts are good running engines. We have worked on many of them. The 80 is proven to work well. If you are not having any issue to make you question the bearings then run it until 25 hours as specified.

Andy

Originally Posted by Thoemse (Post 12744638)
Hello everyone!

Thoemse 09-27-2022 05:37 AM

I just fired the turbine up again - now in the new jet. Runs without a hitch. Should be good for maiden once the weather permits it.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback.