Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twin Otter Flap Repair?

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Hangar 9 Twin Otter Flap Repair?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
fledermaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Twin Otter Flap Repair?

The control surfaces on the H9 Twotter are not covered with film, but have molded plastic covering to replicate the "corrugated" surface in the real thing. This plastic is rather brittle and prone to punctures.

My Twotter got a fairly good-sized hole punched into the lower surface of one flap (really bad hangar rash caused by wife messing with planes to get at something else in the storage room). No damage to the structure, the hole was luckily punched through between two ribs. I asked H9 about whether one could get replacements for these plastic panels but you can't - they only sell complete wings as replacement parts.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for repairing this damage? I could remove the plastic and just cover the flap with film, or I could get a thin sheet of plastic at the LHS and make a replacement panel, but I don't know how to form plastic into the grooves that are in the original. Is there another way?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Chuck54sd

Default RE: Hangar 9 Twin Otter Flap Repair?

I put a hole in my alieron too.

I just used some ultracoat over it on a lower heat setting as to not melt the plastic and it worked just fine.
Later on I applied more heat to it with the iron after it had cooled down to shrink it.

Ain't no way I could get it to corrgate though
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fledermaus

So, does anyone have any recommendations for repairing this damage? I could remove the plastic and just cover the flap with film, or I could get a thin sheet of plastic at the LHS and make a replacement panel, but I don't know how to form plastic into the grooves that are in the original. Is there another way?
I have not yet damaged mine, but I know a way to fix it and simulate the indentations in the original plastic.

Cut a patch out of sheet styrene plastic the same thickness as the sheet plastic used on the original control surface. Lay out the indentations and cut their outline into the patch and remove the indentation. Then, laminate a very small strip of the same plastic behind the hole made to copy the indentation, to close off the hole you created. This would give a close copy, if not 100% perfect, of the original molded in detail.

A little spot putty and some gloss white or black paint and you will be good to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
fledermaus

That's a good idea, I'll try that. Thanks.[8D]