Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

All about flying twin models in one place.

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

All about flying twin models in one place.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Yury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All about flying twin models in one place.

I tried on website www.rc-twin.ru to answer all questions about twin and multi engines models. At once site was on Russian only. Today I have finished translation main part of site to English http://rc-twin.ru/indexeng.php . You will able to find answer on questions What, Why, How. I hope my job will be useful anybody who has interest about flying twin and multi engines models.
I understand that my English far from good but anyway I hope English speaking men will able to understand me.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yury, I really enjoyed the video of the DC3. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 AM
dkm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their is a major difference between flying a fullsize multi and flying a model. In fullsize a engine failure is easily reconised and the swing direction is felt by the seat of your pants. You apply rudder, nose down and check speed then engine failure drills.
On a RC model we are remote to the model and it is much harder to reconigse the failure.
When a engine fails on a model its first reaction is to produce a uncommanded roll. We see the roll and may hear the failure, our automatic reaction will be to stop the roll with aileron. This aileron tells us which side is the failure and the direction for the rudder. Put full rudder in the same direction as we put the aileron in, then let the aileron go back to neutral. Balance rudder against power to maintain level and speed as required.
We now have the correct rudder in without even thinking left or right or which engine.
Most model pilots usually get confused trying to figure out the correct rudder whilst looking to see which engine has failed, meanwhile loosing airspeed, height and control.
From there on it is the same as any multi aircraft, power on - rudder in, power off - rudder off. Maintaining airspeed is life for a multi model and if well designed even turning gently to a dead engine or a single engine go around should not be a problem.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Yury

Uncommanded roll is last model’s reaction. If you do not have enough height model will be crashed. Such reaction will be only in one case if pilot has missed first reactions described in http://rc-twin.ru/emergencyIIeng.php 6 points. I did not include this reaction because for my opinion it is not reaction it is falling. If pilot do not miss described ones the model will land safety or with minimum damages in any situation.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM
dkm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my ideas about flying multi models.
The problem with models is knowing which engine has failed and the time it takes some pilots
to figure it out, usually too late.
Watching or flying at a distance usually the first indication is a uncommanded roll and loss of engine noise.
Your natural reaction is to pick up the dropped wing, this is telling you which engine. Without thinking
put full rudder in, in the same direction as you have aileron, and let the aileron go.
Lock on full rudder with wings level. All this has taken 2-3 seconds and as yet I have not had
to think about either left or right or determine visually which engine has failed.
This quick reaction is vital to keep attitude, altitude and airspeed.
Then worry about planning your approach, balance, trim etc.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Zoomer02

DKM,

I have been flying twins for a long time now, and I am pretty confident about single engine out flight. On my favorite twin last month, I flew too long and ran out of fuel in one engine. I remembered your post above and it really helped my out. It was my first engine out on that particular plane. I have been flying it for 4 years without an incident. Anyway I got it back to the flield and landed with only minor damage to the nose wheel when it went into some tall grass just off of the runway. It is already repaired and flying again. That was good advice about the ailerons telling you what engine in out.

Regards,