Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Britten Norman Islander, Giant Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Britten Norman Islander, Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Britten Norman Islander, Giant Scale

Not sure if anyone can help but here goes. There was a guy who has long past away named Bob Fransis. He had scratched built a very large plane called the Brittin Norman Islander. This is a high wing fixed gear twin that is still used all over the world. Back then the model was powered by a pair of Zenoah 23s. I will put the newer much lighter and more powerful new O.S 22 gas engines. I do have the plans and it is all cut out and ready to build. I only have one picture of the model but was told there may have been an article with some details about building it. I have built a dozen or so scratch built models but thought it would be nice to see a write up on it ifthere was one? Does anybody know which plane I am talking about and have any more information on it. I am willing to pay top dollar for information and or more pictures of it. The plans are at least 15 years old as Bob Francis had past at least that long ago. I will try to attach a picture of it if I can.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://got.net/~francis/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gian...-islander.html
Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Heliman4213

Thanks I have seen those photos I was just hoping to see if more possibly from someone who has built it. it's always helpful to see a couple photos of a build it possible. I have the plans and have cut all the wood parts out I'm ready to start the build. just was hoping to see if someone else has built it.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 AM
foodstick

OK, I understand it can be unnerving going into a build blind ! Hope you find the info you need...That does look fairly complex to only have plans and not some hands on info to the small details.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Heliman4213

Ok after having the plans for almost 15 years or so and cutting all the parts out about 7 years ago it is on the work bench, Wow I am just stunned its on there. Starting looking at the plans and the part again. I bought the gear from Robart over ten years ago and back then it was over $600.00 I think. The main gear legs are about 13 or so inches. Im not sure if people are interested but I may post a few photos as I get going on it. When the plane was first built a long time ago it had Zenoah 23s in it. They were heavy compared to the new technology. Im putting in the new O.S. 33 gas engines which are lighter but about the same size. They also produce way more power so they should be a good fit.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM
foodstick

It will be fun to see a pic or two, It looks like a MASSIVE undertaking to say the least..
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 PM
bronco_ov10a

How is the BNI build going would like to see some photoes and comments on the build as I intend to start a smaller scale BNI in the future