Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

how do i set up twin .46 motors with two 8 oz sullivan tanks

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

how do i set up twin .46 motors with two 8 oz sullivan tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
dpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how do i set up twin .46 motors with two 8 oz sullivan tanks

how do i set up twin .46 motors with two 8 oz Sullivan tanks
am scratch building a Cessna 310 I am thinking about when it drop a motor and then spin in to the ground is there a setup for the foul that will stop the other motor if the other one stops.
or is there a system for this
Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Who is question for?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just having an engine go out, does not automatically cause a spin. As for setting up your engine's, put them together as you would any other single engine plane. You need 2 servo's for the throttles. You need to set them up so the engines will die when you pull the throttle trim all the way down. You will also need to make sure that the engines are running at about the same RPM at the high end. While in flight you will know when an engine dies. The simple solution is to cut the power on the other engine and kill it and dead stick the plane. You can still fly the plane by trying to avoid turning into the dead engine and learning to add in the rudder when you turn. Twins are great and while there are some differences in flying, they are not anything to be worried about. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-28-2013, 02:20 AM
dpot

thanks my first reaction would have been throttle back going have to use the ruder in the air a bit more to get use to it
Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need to learn how to use your rudder in conjunction with your ailerons, which is a good thing to learn how to do when you are flying all your planes. On the programmable radios, you can even mix rudder and aileron. Once again, Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
dkm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set up your engines with 3deg (left) and 4deg (right) outboard thrust and the tanks normal supply to each engine.
I build twins to fly on one engine, if an engine fails you fly the aeroplane.
On a twin, if the left engine dies the centre of thurst moves towards the right engine. The centre of drag will move slightly left giving a resultant left yaw and left roll.
Unlike being in the cockpit of a fullsize aircraft, an R/C pilot will not feel the yaw so "dead foot, dead engine" does not apply.
But an uncommanded roll (hopefully with engine noise loss) will be clue, the give away for the engine failure.
So as the model rolls, first react to the roll with right aileron, reconigise the engine failure (sound,performance loss etc,), put full right rudder (the direction of the aileron input).
Lock the right rudder input and ease off the aileron to neutral.
Balance rudder input to throttle, power on-rudder on, power off-rudder off.
Do not throttle back and keep the nose level to maintain speed.
Speed is your friend, never fly a twin slow or use high nose attitudes at low speed.