Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Questions on my first electric twin

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Questions on my first electric twin

Old 11-11-2020, 07:59 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions on my first electric twin

I have a Parkflyer Plastics OV-10 Bronco on its way to me, I am doing some planning, and I have some questions.

Background: I have built over 40 actual kits in the last 35 years, most of them being glow-powered. I was into electric flight during its infancy, and through its evolution, until not long after brushless motors and Lipos became popular. Then I got out of the hobby for a while, and am getting back into it.

1) For this OV-10, I am thinking of making the props be counter-rotating. I know how to do that with the motors, but the props become the question. I don't see any clockwise props listed anywhere. Is it possible to use a pusher prop turned around (relative to the motor) in a tractor orientation to accomplish that?

2) Has anyone here built and flown this particular plane? If so, which motors / ESC's / props / batteries did you use, and how were the results - good or bad? I would like unlimited vertical performance (not scale - I know), but I won't be hovering this thing. I can't be doing the 3-4 minute flight thing - I must get at least 8-10 minutes.

3) What is the latest & greatest philosophy on powering an electric twin - such as splicing some ESC wires together, running both motors off of a single battery, etc.? In my research, I have seen mention of connecting some red ESC main wires together, clipping small red wire, etc., but that was several years ago. Does anyone have a link to a forum thread or a website that reflects the current philosophy on this topic? I have tried searching, but search engines on web forums always suck.

I am going to try to build this thing light, but I want really good performance. No retracts, but I will make at least one of the rudders functional. For me, I must have a rudder on any airplane. I even added them to my Twisted Hobbys F-22, and I never regretted that.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:34 PM
ps2727

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Outrider
i have built a few multis and never have done counter-rotating props. Most full size planes donít do that and I donít think itís necessary. That does away with the search for an oddball prop.

I like to use a battery and speed controller for each motor. When you plug the throttles into a Y connector you will have both speed controllers BEC trying to power the radio gear, which you donít want. Thatís why you pull one of the red wires on the speed controller, so only one will power the radio. You should remember to plug that side first when you are ready to fly so the receiver is powered.
There are other ways to hook things up, this is just my preference. For instance, in the future as my models get larger I will use a dedicated battery for the radio and not use a BEC.
You are doing the right thing in getting opinions on setups. In the end you pick the one you like and press on.

Best of luck on your project!
Paul

Old 11-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Outrider6

^^ Thanks for the info. Lots of stuff to digest and figure out, especially since this is a twin. But I'm almost there on the motors and wiring stuff. The building of the kit will be the easy part (for me), since I love building and have lots of experience doing it. I just wish I was as good a pilot as I am a builder.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:29 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the wing span of this plane? I built one from plans. 42 inch WS.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:07 AM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940 View Post
What's the wing span of this plane? I built one from plans. 42 inch WS.
47" wingspan.

Here it is: Parkflyer OV-10
Old 11-15-2020, 07:10 AM
Skyhawk940

My plans had shaped fixed rudders. I built flat ones with moving rudders. I used one rudder servo and tied the two rudders together with a wire. If you look you can see it under the elevator. I found my props from Hobby King. A set with cw and ccw props. I use one battery to two ESC's. No need to disconnect one of the ESC red wires. Mine works great. Here's a link to your OV-10 build https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0-Bronco-build Have more info if wanted.

Skyhawk
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Skyhawk940

I was wrong on the WS. it's 47 inches. So yes, it's the same plane. I built mine from the plans. Cut all the parts by hand. Mine is ready to go, but haven't flown it yet.

Earley on

Rudder detail Kept it simple.