Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Advice on best engines and batteries for a twin

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Advice on best engines and batteries for a twin

Old 04-19-2021, 11:29 AM
ScaleAirliners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on best engines and batteries for a twin

Hi there,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on electrics, an area I am very weak on in knowledge.

I am building a large scale 1/6 twin otter (John L plans)

I believe my all up weight will be a good 50lbs.

can anybody advise on:

A) a good power plant set up with associated batteries and ESC to power this (I want a scale look so not to be too over powered)

B) I have a lot of LEDs (big landing lights) and servos that cannot run under standard AAA batteries so I am wondering what is the best stand alone battery and Bec I can get to ensure consistent power to these?

thanks in advance

Old 04-19-2021, 07:00 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Look for a 63mm outrunner with around 210-220KV, an 80 to 100 amp ESC. You will need to run the system on 10S lipo but you will be able to spin up to a 22x8 around 7,000 rpm.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 AM
ScaleAirliners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your help. I am hoping to use 3 bladed props (19), would this make any difference to the required engine power?

Also, what so of time do you reckon I would get out of a single 10s battery powering the two engines?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

19" three blade props won't be an issue other then being expensive. To the best of my knowledge the only tri blade props that size and made exclusively for electric are the Falcon carbon fiber props. The 19x13 runs around $150 a pop. Using props that are intended for IC will drastically reduce your flight times. With the electric only props and good quality battery packs you should be able to get close to 10 minute flights. That is of course being conservative with the throttle.