Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ole royal b-17???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ole royal b-17???

hi i recently aquired a royal b-17 kit for winter project, my ? is it came with 4 nib old os 25 r/c's, i'm assuming these will sufice? too much? not enough?+ i dont want to see the heads of engine so i'll invert and use pitts type muffler(will be able to blend head in good with the superchargers) i will be giving each engine its own dedicated servo(micro's) + no bellcranks for aileron, going with dedicated servo here also, another engine ? is should i use fuel pumps or is this overkill! from reading other threads i also see others have had problems with the retracts and fuel cells on the inboard nacelles, i do plan on the split flaps and will dedicate servo for each flap+ it will have functional waistgunner doors and top and belly turret, plan on glassing with 3/4 cloth and deff laquer method, what would be a good target weight for the 4 os 25's, all advice apreciated
Old 10-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: ole royal b-17???

The older OS .25, .30 and .35 were sweet running engines. I've an older .30 still flying on a Telmaster 66 and it handles the model quite well at our near sea level field. I do have the Royal kit myself, and believe that your older OS .25's will do the job of flying that B-17 just fine. If you decide to use other motors on your model...sell me your old, but new OS .25's. By the way...the older OS .25's did not use anywhere near the fuel the current .25's do use. Low fuel consumption and reliability were their hallmark.

No one that I know of makes a fuel pump for small engines. The Perry pump (back plate pressure tap pump) works great on my K & B .61, but I've read here at R/C Universe that these perry pumps do not work well on smaller engines. Forget about the oscillating type Perry pumps (there are two types of Perry pumps), for I've seveal and I've had nothing but problems with this pump.

Robart used to sell retracts for the model, but if you do use the retracts, the inboard engines will have smaller fuel cells. I would modify the kit a bit myself, and the model will handle just about any finish job you may want to do. I witnessed several fly over the years, and all of them flew nice.

[email protected]

If you decide to fly on your older OS .25's you may want to find exaust headers for the engines. My older OS engines did not come with mufflers and though a bit loud by today's standards...I still loved the sound of four turning !

Good luck with your project and soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ole royal b-17???

thanks for the encouraging words bob! i've been in this hobby for about 13 yrs. now and i always wanted to do a b-17 and go the full 9 yds.! i was afraid the 4 os .25's would be too much!! and i want this to fly scale not fast!! when i get started on the b-17 again i'll post building thread, oh by the way 15 yrs. ago i worked in haiwaii, was single at the time, did a 13 month stint there, lived in pearl city right behind pearl harbor, man is that place beutifull!!! me and the wife and kid are planning a vaca there hopefully sept. 04 maybe catch a island hopper over to maui and check out your field!! well thanks for the reply, and i'll keep you posted on the b-17 progress, at this time i have all built up, ailerons,flaps and tail feathers are all built, naceles are built but not installed on wing yet, still have alot of shaping and sanding to do!!!!+ fit engines on and do all the radio work and linkages, retracts etc. etc. hopefully by late spring of 04 i'll be done!! again thanks!!, john