Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:49 PM
kpursuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

My Marutaka kit plane has now flown several times.
A real ***** cat to fly, very stable in the air.
Straight and level on half throtle.
Will not fly of deck, needs to be "unstuck" with up elevator.

Vic
Old 10-30-2004, 03:26 PM
N. Albers

Thanks a lot for the answer!

I looked at the photos, very informative. Is it correct that the exhaustions pass through the propeller?
I am not sure if I can get TopFlite products over here. I will look around. There will be a solution.

Last month, there was a short mention of a self-built Skymaster in a German magazine. They reported some trouble with the vibrations due to the two engines attached to the fuselage. What are your experiences? Especially since Eurolight recommends putting a 2-stroke in the front and a 4-stroke engine in the rear. According to them, this gives a nice sound. But the fuselage may need reinforcement in this setting.

Please let me know once you are air-borne or if you have any further tips.

Norbert
Old 10-30-2004, 03:28 PM
N. Albers

Dear Vic,

which motors did you use?

Norbert
Old 10-31-2004, 04:03 PM
kpursuit

Tried to send lenghty reply giving more information on building of model but was timed out by website, so here is short reply
OS.40 x 2.
Used same motors, props and throttle servos anything else would cause vibration.
Got third prize in sponsored fun fly-in over the weekend.

Vic
Old 10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
N. Albers

Compliments for the price!

Did you actually test different motors and props? That is interesting, as my distributor not only advocates 2 different motors but also 2 different props. He says that the rear prop should have a steeper slope as the air passes by faster??!! I don't know if this is fantasy or physical fact. I would very much appreciate your comments. Actually, I am waiting with the assembly and the purchase of motors and equipment until I see a clear answer for these questions. Would be too bad to loose the model due to a bad tip by the dealer, who is a distributor and not a known modeller. I would rather rely on people like you who have experience.

If the lengthy answer is still available, here is my mail address: [email protected]

Otherwise, we should stay on this forum in order to make the hints available to all others.

Greetings and thank you,

Norbert
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I have read on the real Skymaster says it has the same size props front and rear. But since they are constant speed, full feathering props, I would guess that they are not at the same pitch all the time.

Only way to be sure is to test different props on your plane but to start I would just go with the same pitch and see how things go. The unique sound of a Skymaster comes from the harmonics of the engines and the front prop thrust impinging on the rear prop. Why mess with a classic?

Don
Old 11-01-2004, 02:07 PM
kpursuit

Will try sending long message again.
Marutaka Skymaster kit is definitely an advanced builders kit.
There are things like wing washout that is obvious when you line up all the wing ribs but no mention of it plans or instructions.
Stab alignment parts differ from plans.
Undercarriage was of no use, if used model could never have tracked straight.
As for props _ Wash from front prop as it passes over fus speeds up, as it nears rear prop over tapered rear sections of fus it slows down and there for is more dense.
In full size model the constant speed props would allow for minor airspeed changes, but with model and fixed pitch props well? Well life ain't perfect either.

VIc

Wil try longer message direct to you.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:20 PM
IWC

Have you Skymaster builders seen the New ARF Skymaster advertised in the back of Nov Model Aviation Mag? $400
Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
N. Albers

Can you tell us which company manufactures or distributes the kit? Wing span etc.? I don't have access to that magazine.

Greetings,

Norbert
Old 11-02-2004, 04:52 PM
hattend

Looks to just be another distributor for the ARFs that KMP imports. I could be wrong but they sure look similar.

Don
Old 11-03-2004, 01:26 PM
kpursuit

Had the model out again yesterday. Had engine failure (front) just after takeoff, easily able to fly circuit and land on the pusher.
I have two OS .40's. 10 x 6 APC props.

Vic
Old 11-03-2004, 01:37 PM
hattend

Norbert,

I subscribe to the UK Traplett Model World magazine and in that magazine there have been ads with a Skymaster pictured. These are the same models that KMP imports but it is a European importer.

I'll try to find the ad tonight when I go home and I'll get you an address/phone/website

Don

ORIGINAL: N. Albers

Can you tell us which company manufactures or distributes the kit? Wing span etc.? I don't have access to that magazine.

Greetings,

Norbert
Old 11-05-2004, 01:31 PM
hattend

Figures: I can't find the ad now.

Here are some links to sellers of different Skymaster ARFs, though

http://www.cheetahrc.com/twin.html (KMP ARF)
http://www.jgrc.biz/en-us/dept_59.html (Aviomodelli kit...made in Italy)

Don

And watch some Skymaster videos here: http://www.cheetahrc.com/vids.html
Old 01-28-2005, 06:36 PM
frank curtin

Default RE: O-2 Photos

Hello Ron

I am building Hostetler's Quarter scale and I would like to finish it in the navy color scheme, I am having trouble finding enough images to complete that task. I was wondering if you could help me out or steer me in the right direction. Or if anyone out there can help me it would be appreciated.

Thanks
E-mail: [email protected]
Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 AM
EduardoBC

Hello, I'm building the Marutaka Skymaster from plans. However, I need a little help: Where can I find the windshield? Its not easy to mold mostly because of size. second, I would like to get the main landing gear. Also, not easy to make. Thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
szig

Hi Eduardo

Check out here, royal and marutaka are the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Cessna-337...#ht_1098wt_786
Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
EduardoBC

Hi. Thank you very much for your information. Yes, Royal and Marutaka are the same. Just that Royal put there own plans and instructions for the American market.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 AM
pl365322

Hi guys.
As I have a Marutaka 336 kit powered by glow engines, does anyone have convert that plane in electric ?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 AM
EduardoBC

I stopped my Skymaster for lack of time. I plan to finish it early next year. I would like to install electrics but I have found so complicated and difficult the calculation for getting the correct motors, ESCs, batteries, propellers that I am seriously thinking of returning to old reliable glow engines. Just a couple of Chinese ASP .52 and that's it!!! However, I'm opened minded. Who can make for me all calculations necessary for electric installation in my Skymaster? One other bad thing about electrics: they don't make any noise at all. It is funny to see a Skymaster or any other propeller driven airplane, flying around with just a funny electric motor sound. Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 AM
pl365322

I partly agree with you but the good thing of modern electric power is that it is lighter than glow one. This plane is already quiet heavy ( not as much as the Aviomodelli / Mantua one but still). Plus the advantage of balancing the plane just with the battery. The plane is already tail heavy.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
EduardoBC

I also partly agree ith you. Mine is coming up not too heavy because I carefully selected my balsa, and covering will be "ChinaKote" (Chinese equivalent of MonoKote, I put that name!!) But I still like everything surrounding glow engines: fuel, glow plugs, fuel tanks, carburators and that beautiful "music" that all glow engines give!!!. I even like the castor oil residue to be cleaned after flying sessions!!! I'm joking of course, one of the nice things about electrics is cleanliness. Anyway, I will decide what I will do on January and will post it here.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember if going electric on this plane the weight of the batteries will most likely equal the glow engines. And the weight will make the flying time on electric very limited

JimO
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
EduardoBC

Short flying times, having to carry lots of batteries for a day's flying and the fact that these batteries explode!! (I've seen it!!) and are very very expensive. These are just some of the reasons why I prefer to stick with glows. Also, Glow fuel is very cheap (at least here) and easily bought and kept. Also, when the model is flying, glow fuel is burned always lightening the plane. Batteries are always heavy being charged or empty!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66..._1/key_/tm.htm

royal kit forum
Old 04-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Rcpilot1948

Hello, I just read your post where you mentioned the wing tip incidence on your Marutaka Skymaster. How much incidence did you end up with?
Thanks, Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.