Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 AM
jcoolhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Hello all,

I've pretty much decided I'm gonna pick up this skymaster kit. I was wondering if anyone out there, who's built one before could answer a few questions for me? I've heard the instructions do not come with any visual plans or pictures, only written instructions. Is that true? Recommending engine's, 2 or 4-stroke's, landing gear...? Thing's like that.

Appreciate any help,
Jcool
Old 02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

I built the original Royal kit a few years back, if the kit has not changed a lot be ready to do a oot of sanding. The instruction book did not have alot of pictures in it, but the lans had a number of reference drawings. Certainly is a builders kit. There where recommendations for both 4 and 2 cycle engines. Flew mine on 2 Saito 45's. Lost the first plane to pilot error, to low and to fast over a bean field, Bean jumped up and grabbed it. Have looked at the Maratuka kit and Aviomodelli kit. Thnk this time I am going with the Modelli, looks like less sanding and construction time.

Jim
Old 02-06-2004, 04:49 PM
jcoolhand

Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear about the attack of the killer beans! Were you saying the plans had a lot of reference drawings? I checked out the AvioModelli and it looks like a nice kit too. Not real sure about the foam wings though. Then again I've heard it makes for very easy field repairs... Not that we would need to of course.. Did you hear of any plans for retracts online somewhere? I've seen a couple that cost more than I can even consider, but I'd like to come up with something to be more scale. I appreciate your input.

Take care,
J
Old 02-06-2004, 05:45 PM
JimO

Yes I have heard and the cost would be more than the entire plane. If I remember, Ramon Torres built this plane and he had retracts. Might want to do a search on him.

I think also there was a fixed gear version and that should not be to hard to duplicate. Have to do some research.

Will also look for some photos of my original, not that will be a research project.

Jim
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Here's a link to Ramon's site: http://rtaerospace.com/rc_scale.htm
Old 02-06-2004, 06:46 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

The Marutaka/Royal Skymaster is the C336 (fixed gear). Add some retracts if you're mechanically inclined (Torres' would be way too big) and you have a C337.

KMP got 20 Skymaster ARFs in their last box shipment from China and I snagged one. There is a discussion [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1359394/mpage_1/key_skymaster/anchor/tm.htm#1359394]Here[/link]

Don

ORIGINAL: JimO

I think also there was a fixed gear version and that should not be to hard to duplicate. Have to do some research.

Jim
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 PM
jmupilot

Ive got one of the Royal 336s under construction. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.
It is definately a builders kit, lots of balsa blocks to sand and shape. Plans show some detail drawings, but not much other drawings.
I am doing a rare NAVY version. I think the modelli kit shows that version. Its Blue and yellow. I have 2 40's installed and hope that will be enough to power it.
A friend has one, and has 2 OS 40's and seems to fly just fine. Either engine out does cause a marked loss of speed. but it is able to maintain altitude.
The nice thing about the pull/push twin is that you can get by with two different types of engines or even sizes.

Pete
Old 02-07-2004, 02:01 PM
JimO

jmupilot, I do remember the sanding and shaping. Again make sure you have a lot of opening for the rear engine in upper scoop. I installed the ring on the rear engine as suggested and ended up Dremeling it out for more air flow.

The other thing about this twin is one engine out and you don't have a sudden turn into the dead engine. It was a joy to fly, and the sound of the in-line twins is a little different than side by side. I for see a change in building plans coming up.

The Modelli kit does show the Navy Version, looks a whole lot easier to build than the Maratuka/Royal.

Still looking for the photos.

Jim
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
atsioukl
My Feedback: (1)

I too have recently bought a Marutaka Skymaster. I will begin building it soon. We should keep this string going throughout the entire building process. It should be a great asset to us by allowing us to share techniques and opinions. And, seeing that the instructions included in the Marutaka kit lack great detail, we will be able to assist each other.

Anthony
Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
OV10

Getting ready for paint on my Skymaster (Marutaka kit) lots of sanding, not a first time builder kit, plans are good but instructions are so so. Power is 65 front and 52 in the back both are 4 stroke. Not sure of weight at this point but for now it is tail heavy. Pic's in airplane gallery
Old 02-11-2004, 08:17 AM
JimO

When I built mine, and after it was ready for covering found it was also tail heavy, so I cut lightning holes in the tail surfaces. Made a lot of difference in the tail weight, and did not affect the structural integrity.

Make sure it is not tail heavy in the least amount. When you add fuel to the rear tank and if at all tail heavy, You have a tiger to tame.

Another thought, on the first take off make sure you have lot of ground speed and let it rise it's self off the ground. The rear engine pushing air across the tail will increase the elevator sensitivity, takes a couple of flights to get use to. Once you do it is a joy to fly.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
atsioukl

OV10,

I have a couple questions:

What are you covering your model with?
What type of paint will you be using?
Why did you use a smaller engine in the rear and not the same size?
Did you add flap?
Is the rear air scoop functional?
How will the elevator operate? (i.e. did you mount a servo in the horizontal stab or did you use a pushrod?) If you used a pushrod, where does it run through?

That's a bit more than a couple questions. Sorry!

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
JimO

Anthony,

I can answer a couple of your questions.

The plans state as an option to use to different engines larger in the front. Has to be to offset the tail heaviness.

The elevator is controlled by a bell crank system down the tail booms. There is a hatch that is cut in the bottom of the boom to connect when assembling at the field. I made mine permanent, measured to see if it would fit in my car, wing and tali assembled, before building.

The rear scoop is functional and make sure it has a lot of opening. you will find that adding baffles to direct air over the cylinder head will help in cooling.

I did not add flaps as felt not needed and they weren't. Plane slows quick with all the drag from size. Couple of clicks above idle is good for landing.

I covered mine with Monokote and used matching paint. Though on the original Royal kit there was not a lot of painting.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
atsioukl

Jim,

Thanks a million for answering. I take it you've put some flight hours on you Skymaster. So, I have more questions:

How does it handle in the air?
How's the takeoff- long, short?
How about landings? Are they shallow or steep approaches.
Do you think it would be possible to add flaps? I ask because the boundaries of my field are very tight.
What are you using for power?

I'd really like to see your model. If possible, please add some pics of your Skymaster to this forum.

Thanks again for answering! Sorry for more questions!

Anthony
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
JimO

Anthony,

As much as I hate to admit this, my mixmaster was hit by a rogue soy bean plant on a low pass high speed run across the field. Seems this plant had a bad feeling for low flying planes, mine was not the first that the beans got. There was balsa, monokote, a couple of fuel tanks and engines, misc. other electrical parts and wiring for a good 100 feet down the runway. Sure was a sight to see, so I was told. I am looking for the photos of the completed model but after remarrying and moving, things are not where they once were.

Answers to your questions continued:

The ship handles well in the air once you have it trimmed out and both engines running well. I flew mine on two Saito 45's and it would fly on either engine. Found this out while getting the airflow correct to the rear engine. Did not have any bad tendencies on one engine, front or rear. Just remember to keep airspeed up on landing, that dead prop adds to the drag.

Once you have all thing correct, the take off is your call. All depends on power to weight. From what I remember it was a medium run on take off. THe first few I let speed build on the ground and waited for it to lift on it's own. DId have the fortune of flying off a sod far so had a lot of grass to run on. Landings again are either way, If you have the long glide let her settle in. Our main field, one end came in with a tree line about 200 feet from the end of the runway. Short approach and steep angle in, flair and let her drop. (NAVY STYLE) The plane slows quickly due to the egg shape fuse. Flaps could be added, but remember you are adding weight behind the cg.

I have next in line the Aviomodelli Kit to build and have to admit I sell the line hear on the East Coast. Thinking of using either 2 Saito 56's or RCV 58's. Hope to have on the board by the end of the month. Have an Airsail Tomahawk to finish up first.

Anything more just ask.

The Royal kit was lot of work to build, but the comments, an joy of flying her were worth every bit of sawdust on the floor.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 PM
OV10

Anthony
Covering is white coverite
Thinking about trying latex w/clear coat
I'm sure the rear engine will be the one to fail, cooling at first, the 65 will be enough to fly even with the rear engine dead also tail weight and I had both engines.
Yes air scoop is functional as per plans
Did not use bell crank to control elevator, servo is in hatch under wing as with rudder
No flaps

David
Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 PM
jmupilot

Got some photos of my Royal(Murataka) Skymaster 336. I have a SuperTigre 40 on the front and a Fox 40BB on the rear.
It is covered with .75oz glass, primed ready to paint. As you can see i have already started painting the control surfaces. It weighs 8 lbs now with the engines installed. It is going to be a real pain putting 3 servos in the center section of the wings. I built the kit years ago when using one servo per aileron was unheard of. so I have the aileron , rudder, and elevator in the wing with bell cranks in the booms
I'll keep posting photos as the painting progress's. Its going to be a navy version. Blue yellow and white. I have built a 1/6 scale 2.75 in rocket launcher for under the wings. Just wish there was a set of retracts available for this size model.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91368.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	100260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98243.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	100261  
Old 02-13-2004, 12:25 AM
atsioukl

All,

Thanks for all the answers. I'm extremely excited about building my kit now. Can't wait to get going.

Jim,

Sorry to hear about the "rogue" soy bean plant. I can only imagine to pain. Anyhow, I can't to see picks of your Aviomodel Skymaster. Thanks for all the answers.

Pete,

Your model is looking excellent. Can't wait to hear how it flies. Keep adding pics as you get through some more steps.

Thanks to all,

Anthony
Old 02-16-2004, 12:34 PM
jmupilot

Here a few pics of the front of my model. Hopefuly you can see some of the panel line detail. It shows up really well in the primed shot, but it's very noticable also in the painted one too. I used a couple techniques to do this. One was using 1/32 inch chart tape to mask the primer coats and then removing the chart tape after the next to final prime coat was applied. Then sanding the buildup of primer around the chart tape off with 400 wetdry. The other was to use an exacto blade to remove the primer in the desired locations to releive the deep hatch separation lines. Also a pattern tracing wheel was used to simulate the rivet lines, after this a very light primer coat was applied all over the area to help seal the paint. More pics as i continue the painting proocess.

Pete

Name:	Ge95896.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	101657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56548.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	101658  
Old 02-16-2004, 10:19 PM
jmupilot

Here's a picture of the rocket launcher pod for under the wing of my 0-2.

Name:	Pk30718.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	101910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38688.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	101911  
Old 02-17-2004, 12:28 PM
atsioukl

Pete,

Your Skymaster is looking awesome. Not sure if I asked already but what is the model covered with (i.e coverite, glass, etc) and what type of paint are you using to finish it?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 PM
jmupilot

Anthony, its covered with .75 oz glass cloth. This was attached by brushing minwax polyurathane over the glass. Lightly sanding between coats. I put 3 coats of MinWax on, then sprayed with sandable auto primer. Most of the primer was sanded off leaving only enough to fill the weave of the glass,lots of grey dust. I then applied the panel line tape, and sprayed another coat of primer on. After that dired I removed the panel line tape ( which is just 1/32" Chartpack tape from a drafting supply house). This coat of primer is very lightly sanded where the panel lines are and then a very ,very light coat of primer is spray over the lines. I use a pattern tracing wheel from a fabric shop ( Looks like a tiny spur) to trace simulated rivets along the appropriate panel lines. I must say that spraying on primer you must use as little as needed or you will build up weight quickly. The trick is to sand most of it back off between coats. Mine weighs 8 lbs just as you see it with out the radio, but with the engines. Hopefully it should come out around 9.5 lbs. It will have a slightly high wing loading so I'll have to watch the steep turns and fly it to the ground.

I am using Krylon paints to paint the model. this will be spayed with a hi-gloss clear acrylic top coat, after the decals have been put on. My model is one of a Navy version. It will be mostly blue , with yellow stripes on the wings and tail. I researched some pictures on GOOGLE Image search for Cessna 337's, and found a web page of all kinds of pictures.I thought the navy O-2 looked cool so thats the one I'm doing. Lots of O-2's were grey and camo so this one will be different. Other pics of it are in my gallery.

Pete
Old 02-19-2004, 11:17 AM
atsioukl

Pete,

Thanks for the info. Look forward to seeing more pictures. Keep them coming!

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
jmupilot

Got some more done on the O-2 last night pics coming shortly. I have had to resort to hand cutting the decals for this version. What a pain. But its gonna be a one of a kind so worth the effort.

Pete
Old 02-27-2004, 01:12 PM
atsioukl

Pete,

Can't wait to see the pics. I'm sure they look good.

Anthony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.