Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

New at twins

Old 04-05-2004, 04:55 AM
Blue Sky
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New at twins

Hi John,
Many thanks for your reply.

When I first became interested in a twin I searched around and saw that the Twin-Air came highly recommended then things lapsed a little, as they do (esp. over the winter ).

I really enjoy building so the idea of 'bashing a single into a twin' looked promising as there are some good models over here in the UK to base the design on. Yesterday I tried searching again and (eventually ) found Twinmans posts... hmmm, I realised I might end up with a lot more things to worry about. Then I found Walts (Build-n-flyer-RCU) thread about the Twin-Air .45 build and the twin fin mod. and that's basically clinched it for me. The kit looks very well produced and I'm a great fan of laser-cut parts; it also looks like John @ NE-Aero will be good to answer my dumbs questions and I'm sure you guys would help out too. So, all in all, I think it's worth importing one, even if I do get stung with Duty & Sales Tax (it'd make it about $230 total) - two weeks to pay day

Hmm, how about a pair MVVS 49's in it, as I have one brand-new already? And prob. RAF camo (possibly a desert scheme)...

Cheers,
Blue
Old 04-05-2004, 03:45 PM
crashnfix

Blue,

Those 49s should give you one hot plane! $230.00 seems a little high, but once you get it in the air, you'll think its worth it.

I put a pair of old OS 40s that I picked up on ebay on mine. It flies like a trainer, which is fine with me, since I'm such a poor pilot. I pretty much just copied John Mariens color scheme. Anyway, here it is.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47173.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	119106  
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 PM
crashnfix

Blue,

P.S.

Of course if you want to get your twin in the air in about a week and save a couple hundred, you can always try a spad. Here is mine, 80inch span and somewhat underpowered with a pair of 40s. With a little imagination it could be a P-38.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71747.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	119110  
Old 04-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Blue Sky

Hi John,

$230 is pretty optimistic unfortunately. NE-Aero still have the Twin-Air 45 up at $140 (I suspect more for the twin fin/rudder version). If the box weighs, say, 7lbs that about $40 USPS Air. So, shipped ~$180. Import duty is 4% (I think) = $187. Our sale tax (V.A.T.) is 17.5% on top of that = $220 and then there'll be a handling/clearance charge of £8 (~$14). Total = $234. Approximately But as you say, that all pales into insignificance once it's in the air.

MVVS .49's - well, as I say I already have one so it's sorta the cheapest option.

SPADS, lol Nice and cheap but I think I need a 'known quantity' as a first twin. Thansk for the thought tho!

Have fun,
Blue
Old 04-10-2004, 09:53 AM
tonystro

chig - was able to get more flights in yesterday, learned a couple of things, and wanted to pass on some information. Our club field is grass with plenty of runway available (80 ft by 600 feet). The grass was a bit high (3-4 inches) and obviously added to the takeoff roll, while slowing the plane rather quickly on landing. Approximately 1/2 throttle provided plenty of pull for level cruise and smooth slow rolls. Nice smallish (25-30 ft diameter) loops with 3/4 throttle, and twice as larg loops at full power.

The nosewheel steering was problematic during taxi, difficult to get it to turn left (push from nyrod). After third landing the right engine quit and left turns were impossible. I have some flexing in the installation and will have to create more supports or replace with a more solid pushrod assembly.

The engine out after landing was, obviously no problem, but highlighted an important point. I was having so much fun that I push my predetermined 'bingo' fuel time and the engine ran out of fuel. I had performed timed engine runs to determine how long it took to the LAs to empty the stock tanks, at 3/4 throttle it was nearly 8 minutes. So, I decided that 6 minutes was the safe, head for the runway point - bingo. On this flight I performed one more flyby after my helper told me I had reached the time, and then chose to make a go-around from the approach. That was nearly one circuit too many.

I had my first single engine performance test on the second flight, when the left engine had a flow plug fail. It started sounding 'rich' a minute or more before that, but I didn't it was a 'real' problem. It took an instant to identify that the engine had died. I was in a shallow bank right turn, the left wing began easing toward level followed shortly by a yaw to the left. I just flew the plane and only realized the problem when the change in sound (a second or two later) coincided with the plane wanting to roll left. I reduced power and nearly had neutral trim again, with very, very slight right rudder input. Since I had plenty of altitude and was above the field I decided to 'test' the planes behavior on one engine. Increasing power increasing on the right engine required increasing right rudder and left aileron, but well within reasonable amounts up to about 3/4 throttle. Above that I didn't have enough rudder throw. I then reduced power and made an uneventful approach and landing, keep the plane's speed a little higher than 'normal' throughout.

The chance of the glow plug failure was possibly aided by my choices. I had replaced the glow plug in the right engine, "its been sitting up for several months and the afterrun oil has probably gelled on the plug." However, I gave no thought to replacing the the plug in the left engine because I had been flying that engine up until I bolted it into the Twinstar. It probably had two hundred runs on it. I have had glow plugs last longer, but I might have avoided the problem by putting in a new plug to start. I am rather sure that loss of the plug was definitely not due to a lean condition, since I performed three more, problem free flights without any change in needle settings.

To sum up.... I have increased the rudder throw to +/- 1 and 1/2 inches, and have new, idle bar plugs in both engines. I will stiffen the nose wheel push system. AND I WILL STAY with my planned flight times.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:17 AM
grahamd1

Blue

Probably a bit late now, but the Galaxy Scorpion twin comes highly recommended on the UK forums as a first foray into twins. Although Galaxy kits need a lot of "bashing" to get them to fit, once they do they are great flyers, I've done their Acro, Jester and ME-109. Also being foam winged, makes contruction simple and fast, whats more for £69 ($130) it aint a lot of any ones money. I gather they are very stable and very forgiving even on one engine.

"The twin is an ideal introduction to flying twin engine and a must before you start flying that beautiful scale model. Both have a 56-inch wingspan and come complete with foam wings, cowlings, canopy and a full hardware kit."

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/new/re...Kits&offset=10
Old 04-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Chig

Thanks for the flight report I will work on stiffening the nosewheel pushrod and make sure I have good throw on the rudder.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:40 AM
CHARLES WINTER

Hi, This is Chuck Winter and I'm looking for a A-26 ARF, do you have an address or e-mail for VQ models?