Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer Plans Shrike Commander

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer Plans Shrike Commander

Old 04-18-2004, 12:07 AM
oldtimer143

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palmer Plans Shrike Commander

Hi folks,

Does anybody out there have any information on the Palmer Shrike Commander please? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anybody who has built/flown one.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 04-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Leo

Default RE: Palmer Plans Shrike Commander

I have built and flown the Palmer Shrike. You can read my comments by typing Palmer Commander in the RCU search engine.
I´ll be happy to assist with further info.
Regards,
/Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22310.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	123662  
Old 04-20-2004, 07:02 AM
oldtimer143

Hi Leo,

WOW! I found somebody who has one..... Looks great too! What a lovely model of a beautiful aeroplane! Thank you for the links and info. I've wanted to build one of these for a couple of years and was thinking about the ModAir kit, but I generally prefer to build from plans as there is more satisfaction to be gained. Having said that, my time is often very limited and my plans-building projects take almost forever to complete, so perhaps I should be considering a kit.

Anyway, I'm encouraged to see that at least ONE is flying. Hopefully some more folks are out there too. How about some hints on the construction process and any "fixes" that needed to be done to the plans to ease construction etc.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Mike James

Cool...

I was lucky enough to watch Bob Hoover's incredible "Energy Management" routine several times over the years, and that always made me want one of those. (I used to covet the Great Planes Shrike, but never got around to building one.)

Only drawback I see is the short landing gear. This bird deserves pavement anyway, though.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 PM
oldtimer143

I actually owned a Bridi Shrike kit at one stage (about 1985), but sold it along with all my other radio gear and kits as I was keen to buy a motorcycle. Had a great time with the bike, but missed flying too much and now I'm back into it, but missing the Bridi kit. I even considered building one of those if I could find one for the right price, but I fear that there aren't many left. That's why I was thinking about the plan.

By the way Mike, when do you think the King Air will be ready? I would consider one of those too. I fly full-size aircraft too and although I've not flown a King Air, it would be very nice to have one.

My number one favorite twin is the Cessna 441 Conquest II. I flew one of those for a while and would dearly love to have an R/C model. A friend of mine started building a 10 footer for another chap, who never paid any bills and the model ended up unfinished in somebody's garage - probably never to fly. As it is in Australia, I can't get it across here for any reasonable price, so I'm likely to eventually design and build my own. Pity that all that work has been done already and will be wasted. He even has the molds for the fuelage and nacelles etc. out the back of his building shed.

If anybody knows of a Conquest kit or plan out there, let me know. I've already got a plan for a small electric version but it isn't suitable for enlarging.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 04-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Mike James

Hi Greg.

The King Air is actually quite a bit further along than what has previously been shown on my site, and is expected to be released in late summer/early fall of 2004. I'm in the process of making a major update to my site by this weekend at the latest, which will include current photos of the King Air. Everthing is going well, and it's going to be a real beauty. Thanks!

I don't know where you can find a 441, but you can find 421 plans at http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/
Old 04-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Leo

-
Old 04-27-2004, 10:56 PM
oldtimer143

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I've been really keen on civilian aircraft models ever since I started flying the real things in 1978. I haven't been fortunate enough to have flown the Mustangs and Spitfires, but I can certainly apprecaite them for the beautiful machines they are. However, for me it is civilian aircraft that keep me modeling.

I have a Hostetler Cessna 421 plan that I'm thinking about reworking (mostly the wing) into a Cessna 425 Conquest I (also known for a while as the Corsair). Additionally, I have plans for the Beech Baron, Bonanza, Cessna 150, Piper Seneca and Navajo and the Falco (sister to the SF260).

Mike, please keep us informed about the progress of the King Air. I'd love to see photos of it finished and flying one day, and will likely buy one from you when they become available.

Also, have you seen the Diamond Twinstar? It's a very modern looking twin and looks set to take the training market by storm. It would make a nice model too I think. http://www.diamondair.at/clublounge/...e/da42_big.jpg

Cheers all,
Greg
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM
jimlid

Leo: What are the 1/4 inch bolts for in former 23 . Is this for a removing the tail section, or is the tail section planked into the main fuselage? Thank you Jimlid
Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Leo

Yes, the bolts are for a removable tail section.
Heres my solution. Four 3/8" dowels are epoxied into hardwood mounts. Brass tubing are glued to the formers as shown in the plans.
Hardened self tapping screws locks everything in place. (actually pickup mounting screws for Fender Jazz Bass) The joint is totally slop free.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6739.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2058362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6738.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2058363  
Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 AM
jimlid

Leo: Thank you for your advice and great photos of your suggestions. My plans showed only one F23 bulkhead. Again thank you and Happy New Year. Regards Jim Liddell
Old 02-05-2020, 05:19 PM
towert

Default Aero Commander Shrike

I have been trying to find plans for an Aero Commander approx 1/4 scale. I see people have used the Palmer plans but can't find a current site to purchase them. Can someone please help?