Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Cody.
In the video I was running O.S.40SF ringed engines that I had rebuilt, but they were still too small to use 11 inch props.. The 11 X 6 props would just load down the engines and they never performed so I ended up using 10 X 5 Top Flight Power Point props...As you see when the model is coming in for the landing in the slow motion video the props don't even look scale, however it is what I had to go with..... Here is a short video link with the engines running in perfect harmony on a test flight before I decided to mount the nacelles.... When you get the engines set together this is the result...That awesome sound a twin makes is worth all of the trouble when you finally get them running together.... This is what I love about flying twins....That sound is just beautiful to listen too....These are mechanically tuned "old school" but with a lot of patience they will sound like this...... I am now using O.S.46FX engines and 11 X 6 props..... The 11 inch props finally give me a little prop wash on the rudder, which I was completely missing with the 10 inch props.....I also have much more power which is what you really need to get this off the ground...Mine weighs 13 pounds... This model can be an absolute handful when trying to take off with just engines and no rudder until you pick up enough speed for the rudder to have any effect.....All the more reason the engines must be as close together as possible from idle to throttle up to full power....... I am sure 12 inch props would give the scale appearance one is use to seeing on the real mosquito... 12 inch 3 bladed props would be ideal, but getting the engines you need to effectively run the prop would be another issue...... Anyway, here is the link that lets you hear how the engines sound when they are together.....I will send you a video link of my newest version of the model that has the leading edges I was talking about and the 46FX engines...That video was the maiden flight and the engines were pretty close but not exactly in sync. I still fly that model today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPewtLpsCE

Last edited by david polley; 10-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 AM
david polley

Cody

Here is the model I fly today with 8 years of research, testing, lots of modifications and upgrades....This is the maiden flight of my fourth CMP mosquito....Your thoughts again would be appreciated....Using Rebuilt O.S.46FX engines and O.S.40SF carburetors... The O.S. "4D" carb will work just fine on the 46 FX as it has the needle valve up front... I had no room for the rear mounted needle valve those engines normally come with..... Turning 11 x 6 Top Flight power point props....Using K&B 1L standard glow plugs and running Morgan Omega 15% fuel....This model is using "Fultz" Dual Strut adjustable fixed landing gear and Dave Brown 3 1/2 inch lite flight wheels and Dave Brown 3 1/2 inch parabolic P-51 Style spinners.... Landing gear blocks have added hardwood blocks mounted on top and under the original gear block from the manufacturer... Their gear block is "obechie" woods from China which our very soft and porous and will not hold up to the smoothest of landings...They will rip right our of the mounts first time....Their fixed gear, as hard as this is to believe will bend very easily.....You must use digital servos in the rudder and elevator. I used a digital servo for the flaps too... Used standard servos in the ailerons and throttle.....I have no computer radio that has preprogrammed settings on the engines or flaps.... I have read a lot about programming each engine on a logarithmic scale using an RPM meter and such but none of that is necessary....You will be able to hear what you need to get the engines running together....I am not using any gyros......CG is exactly 111 mm. Weight, 13 pounds. I still fly on 72 MHz, one of the few left at our flying club that does so... I am using a JR transmitter with a Hitec receiver... I never liked JR's ABC&W single conversion receivers. They had AGC issues when in the proximity of several other 72 MHz transmitters causing you model to flinch or take a quick hit on an approach on a busy day when there were a lot of folks on the flight line.... Hitec was still the traditional full dual conversion receiver that it was designed for in the day.....Never had any king of glitch or AGC issues with the Hitec receiver...Today of course it is a mute point..................Here is the link....Hope you like this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCqfrthqL6c
Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 PM
dannydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in north wales uk. would you be able to help me source somewhere to get moulds sorted to build a large mossy..its been my dream a long time ..
Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
david polley

Dear Dannydee.... I sure do wish I could help you with this one....I believe "Bob Holman Plans" has what you are looking for...The plans are for a 124 inch wingspan and the finished product will get you into the 50 pound range.. It is not a kit.. You would have to purchase all of the wood and such, but they can provide you with some of the other things you will need.... This model I am flying has a 73 inch wingspan....Here is a really nice photo from 2014 taken by Wildlife Photographer Pat Bell....Good Luck my friend.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2140948  
Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 PM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are places that if they have the plans they can laser cut bulkheads and the time consuming stuff. the ribs would be a great help also as each pair of ribs are a different size. PLUS any and all cut-outs to keep things light. I think there was one advertised in RC Canada and a couple in the US. Just have to do some googling as there may also be some in Europe. as well. that would be a tremendous step foreword plus the accuracy would also be excellent.

Just starting the receiver install and have a couple of more servos in the wing. . My wing panels will be removable and it's all here in this forum a bit back.

Last edited by stegl; 01-11-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 PM
spitty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dannydee,

I have sold my CMP Mossi to Switzerland and I will now go with the new Tony Nijhuis Mossi.

She's build very nice but also a bit small for me (72inch)...he will scale it up to 250 cm, (1/1.35) he makes new plans

and cnc kit for me. In this size all the Mick Reeves Parts fits well......

Best regards

Andy
Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 AM
Scott Douglas

Originally Posted by dannydee
im in north wales uk. would you be able to help me source somewhere to get moulds sorted to build a large mossy..its been my dream a long time ..
You could try http://www.rawleaviation.blogspot.co.uk/p/plans.html He does sometimes take a while to respond but he has all mouldings etc you need.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 AM
david polley

I finally lost my Nitro-Planes De-Havilland Mosquito I had been rebuilding and re-engineering since 2006... I went through 3 different versions of the model which gave me the 4th version shown here I completed in the Fall of 2011. I had spent years figuring out the CG was off in the original manual... that the landing gear blocks were just awful... that the flat leading edges for the intake decals were causing the model to drop and stop flying, and so on... I had this model for 7 years.

Last edited by david polley; 08-12-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:27 AM
DragonLines
My Feedback: (13)

Sorry to hear about your loss. I still have an original with the wing spar defect hanging in my shop. My replacement went down when an engine stalled years ago. It flew fine until then. Nice looking planes anyway.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 AM
david polley

Dear DragonLines,

Yes I was flying it so well last Saturday (August 3rd, 2019) at our Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club “Flying Circus” we put on ever year… I have been a member of the club now for 40 years… The photo was taken by a local Wild Life Photographer named Pat Bell…Just a great guy who captured the moment in time of my first landing of the model of the day… She flew just great… Then on Sunday, I had one of the best take offs I had ever had. Lifting the tail, and taking down the runway some 200 feet on two wheels before I lifted off in front of some 3000 people… It was just awesome, so during the flight which went really well, I decide to bring her in and all of a sudden I had absolutely no control some 200 feet above the runway and It trolled over and hit the pavement…… It is possible I lost an engine on final and did not realize that…l I do not know…….

It is in pieces now, however I have 2 brand new fuselages with parts and canopies…. If anyone out there has a wing kit for this, I would gladly purchase it…… After finally figuring everything out on how to get this in the air, it would be so much easier to build the replacement wing and still use most of what I have left….

Here is another photo of the model In flight from the same day taken by Pat Bell….

Last edited by david polley; 08-12-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 AM
DragonLines

Sounds just like what happened to mine. I know an engine died on it so could be what happened to you. The wing I have isn't usable. The first batch they built failed to reinforce the joiners and had a rash of them collapsing in flight. They replaced the entire model back then so it is just hanging there. Unfortunately, if you are going to fly you are going to crash at some point. Still I know how it feels to lose a plane you put so much work in.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM
david polley

Thanks so much..... Here is a video of the maiden flight back in November 2011... I guess I will put a plea in this forum to see if anyone still has a wing...

Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM
david polley

Does Anyone out there in this forum still have a wing kit for the Nitro Planes ( China Model Products)....original 73 inch De-Havilland Mosquito....?? I am looking for one, or even better, does anyone still have the kit but never got around to building it.... Please let me know....
Kind Regards

David Polley
Cincinnati Ohio USA
Old 08-27-2021, 09:45 AM
mikeb10027

Default Mosquito, Parkzone DH98

Gentlemen,
I am looking for parts for a Parkzone DH98 Mosquito
I need either 2 motor shafts or 2 motors, 2 spinners, and 2 prop adapters. I would be interested in purchasing a used plane if someone has one hanging in their hangar.
Mike Black, PA
Old 06-09-2022, 05:53 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

anyone got any parts for the CMP mosquito? Looking for Canopy, engine cowls and retracts
Also need o know where the CG is on this thing
Old 11-08-2022, 03:36 PM
Pat 1

Originally Posted by badazzgti03
anyone got any parts for the CMP mosquito? Looking for Canopy, engine cowls and retracts
Also need o know where the CG is on this thing
Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and I'm putting together one of these kits, I've lost the instructions, I've read through the old posts and found the cg was incorrectly stated and that it should be 116mm from the wing root.
Could anyone tell e what the control throws should be?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:21 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Default Dehavilland Mosquito

Well, time to kickstart a really old thread.
I have just started on one of two CMP Mosquitoes that I picked a few years ago.
The first one will be powered by O.S. 46sf ABC's with Bisson Pitts mufflers.
The 2nd one will be powered with O.S. fs70's.
I just finished reading through this entire thread which felt like it took up a good chunk of my life.
Actually, I took a break around the middle of the thread and read "War and Peace" and an entire Old King James version of the holy Bible, just to rest my eyes.

I will start posting a few pics here as well as RCU and maybe one or two of my RC Facebook groups.
But the forums are much more ideal for me because of the wealth of information that remains in place.
Facebook is a terrible place for sharing builds and assembling ARF's.​​​​ .
Both kits are the versions with plywood spars in the center section. There will be some modifications for the four stroke 70's.
​​​​​​ I also have two sets of Seagull models mosquito double strut retracts that will be cut down and modified to work on these Mossie's.
I'll do my best to get the CG at 110mm.
And keep the weight under 14 pounds.
Although I have been flying rc warbirds, both single and Multi engines for many years, this one looks like it will be a little challenging, but definitely fun.
​​​​​​ I have a little Scratch built F-82 twin Mustang that I have shared here years ago, and it's still
flying, in fact I just installed a Daves rc electronics Twin glow driver in it, and will be test flying it this Sunday.
It used to weigh a little under 6.25 pounds and now it ways 6.5 pounds!
It only has a 52 inch wingspan with O.S. fs30's and it flys fantastic, and pretty good on only one engine.
So the point being, I am used to high wing loading in a Warbird, in fact I prefer it.
They fly more solidly.
​​​ I tip my hat to the Pilots who figured out the Proper CG, and that includes David Polley who also figured out how to avoid the drop during touchdown upon entering ground effect.
And I will be adding scale looking leading edges/oil coolers to the flat center section leading edges, thanks to him.
I have run into that drop issue with other small, heavy warbirds that don't have flaps, and it's usually because I had gotten a touch too slow.
​​​​ But on this Mossie I believe that Mr. Polley is correct in saying that the flat spots disrupt lift at the center wing section at the entry into ground effect.
So far I have attached the Ailerons, woohoo!
​​​​ I have officially started the assembly of my first CMP Mosquito!
​​​​ I have no idea if there's actually anyone here anymore, but I will be posting anyway.

Jon
​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-17-2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Misspelling
The following users liked this post:
Pat 1 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 02:29 PM
DragonLines

Lost mine years ago. Engine out didn't realize it. It always flew good. Don't remember any bad tendencies. Had .52 OS surpass engines. Little work to get them far enough back so the bigger engines you are going to use may be an issue. It looked real good in the air. Hate CMP is gone
Multi-Engine Guy (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 03:02 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Default Dehavilland Mosquito

Originally Posted by DragonLines
Lost mine years ago. Engine out didn't realize it. It always flew good. Don't remember any bad tendencies. Had .52 OS surpass engines. Little work to get them far enough back so the bigger engines you are going to use may be an issue. It looked real good in the air. Hate CMP is gone
I enjoyed your posts, I was considering using O.S.52's, they're what I have in my VQ A-26 Invader.
That was before I watched the video on page 70 where Saito 82's were used. That immediately changed my mind, scale or not, I want what that guy had going!
So I'll extend the cowl's and add bigger tanks.
​​​ Either I somehow skipped where Kahloq flew his with O.S. 91's , or it never happened, there was one with Saito 72's that did well. I am sure that fs70's will work well also.
A friend of mine posted about his Mossie, with O.S 46fx's, it only flew twice, I saw one of those flights and it flew great.
Unfortunately someone stole his fuselage and center wing out his truck.
I definitely miss CMP, that's why I did my best to collect what I could of them over the last few years. They are some of best ARF's ever made.
I hope to have this first one completed asap
I can't wait to fly a Mossy!

Jon
​​​ .

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-17-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-17-2022, 03:28 PM
DragonLines

Have that A-26 too with 52 also great flyer. Wore it out stripped it down and recovered ready to go again. I am all for more power. Tend to over power my planes. The 52's did fine with this one. I will watch your build. I had one of the first ones of these that had the bad wing centers. Just gave it to my brother in law to hang in his shop. May wish I had fixed it after your done. Why I thought highly of CMP. I had just finished putting the first one together when it came out about the wings, they sent me a new kit immediately. Had it in 2 or 3 days if I remember right. Good luck on yours.
Multi-Engine Guy (11-17-2022)