Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

WM F-82 Twin Mustang - Engine Opinions/Advice

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

WM F-82 Twin Mustang - Engine Opinions/Advice

Old 09-22-2004, 12:08 AM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM F-82 Twin Mustang - Engine Opinions/Advice

After a few months of enjoying my 'twinsanity' with a Hobbico Twinstar with Magnum 36s (originally w/ OS 40 LAs), I'm taking the next step. I am nearing completion of two ARFs -- World Models F-82 Twin Mustang and VQ A-26 Invader. A pair of ASP 52 fourstrokes came with the A-26 when I bought it and I have a pair of OS .46 FXs. All engines have been flown several times and the engines in each pair have nearly identical run time, give or take a flight. I am currently at a stand still because I am undecided as to which engine pair for which plane.

Twinman wrote that the Magnum 52s used for initial flight of the A-26 provided marginal power. This might also be true for my ASP's, but I have no comparison information. SO, I am thinking that putting the OS 46s on the VQ A-26 and the ASP 52s on the WM 'F-82 Twin Mustang' will result in two successful airplanes. However..... I ask for opinions/advice from the more experienced 'twinsanes' before I begin the engine mounting. Do you think I can have both these planes flyable with the engines I have on hand??
Old 09-22-2004, 04:27 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: WM F-82 Twin Mustang - Engine Opinions/Advice

The specs on the F-82 call for .32-.35 2 strokes or .40 4 strokes. Seems like .52 4 strokes should be a suitable, although heavier, replacement.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 AM
tonystro

piper_chuck,

thanks for the input. The instructions I have with the F-82 call for .32-.40 2-stroke or .40 - .52 fourstroke.

I apologize for not including the specs in the original post. The F-82 span is 70.6 inch, wing area of 734 sqin., 47 inch fuselage length., and approx weight 9.5 - 10 pounds.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

sounds like they've published a new version of the instructions. The ones on their web page just said .40 4 stroke. Something I've noticed is that some percentage of fliers insist on overpowering their planes. If the manufacturer says a plane should use .40-.45 2 cycle, they will use a .60. It's like they need every plane to be able to do unlimited vertical. The 4 cycle you've got is at the upper range of the manufacturer's specs, should be no problem. Of course you could also put the .46's in there and have a rocket :-)
Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

For what is worth, the W/M single Mustang has plenty of power with an OS .46 SF. I think the .52's would be an excellant match for the twin Mustang.
I have a Wing A-26 that I think will be a bit smaller, and lighter than the VQ, and I am planning to try my Magnum .52 four strokes in it. They seem to be about the equal of FP .40's in power.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got both.
I put OS FX .46's in both using J-tec mufflers.
Used MAS 10X8 in F-82 and also APC's 4 blade 10X7's.
In the A-26, MAS 3-blade 10X7's.
More power than needed but just don't use full throttle.
F-82 flies like their P-51. Stable and rock solid.
Also very easy to take off and land.
I don't use the flap on mine: she veered up a lot (have to come in hot though).
I re-inforced the landing gear area while assembling it though I've never had any gear 'rip outs'.
Must use a hard surface for flying.
She glides forever so just come in like a scale plane: way out and shallow angle.
Too much weight on those foam wheels: get dubro rubber ones.
You have to check the landing gear on every landing: I grease them in and the wire struts still bend back a little:
those stock retracts aren't real sturdy but they work (the weight of those double engines is a lot for those retracts).
Had both for 2 summers now and plenty of flights.
The A-26 flies heavy and is a little tricky taking off.
I usually slowly accelerate on my warbirds but I find I have to gun the A-26 on take offs.
This plane isn't as much fun to fly due to it's is slow to react to the stick( as a bomber should!).
I used spring air in this one.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
tonystro

piper_chuck,
The 4 cycle you've got is at the upper range of the manufacturer's specs, should be no problem. Of course you could also put the .46's in there and have a rocket :-)
I, too, thought the .46's might be a bit much for the F-82! Gave up flying speedsters several years ago, when Quickie 500 racing was costing 1 or 2 planes per race day.[] I've gotten quite used to 1/2 throttle except for upward, vertical components.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:21 PM
tonystro

tlh101,

Thanks for the input! I hope the Twin Mustang flies like your description of their P-51. Keep us posted on your progress with the Wing A-26. I'll do the same with my VQ, although I suspect I'll be flying the F-82 first.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
tonystro

samparfitt,

I truly appreciate your comparison of both models, especially the extra details about the props! I like the idea of "cruising" at reduced throttle. It is my normal mode, usually drawing comments from some of our 'hot shot' club fliers. When I'm not ignoring them, I'm pointing out how much longer my planes, and engines, last!

Must use a hard surface for flying......... You have to check the landing gear on every landing: I grease them in and the wire struts still bend back a little: those stock retracts aren't real sturdy but they work (the weight of those double engines is a lot for those retracts).
Your comment that hard surface runway is a must with the F-82 disturbs me a little. Our flying field is grass (kept pretty short).
Is your recommendation due to the stress on landing gear, or length of take off run? We have nearly 700 feet of runway. I could replace stock gear with stronger retracts or go to fixed gear with larger wheels????

Based on your comments, and my general dislike for flaps, I will lock it solid. I'm used to landing my Midwest 'Super Stearman' and my friends' warbirds (Corsair, Mustang, Dauntless and AT-6), with some speed/throttle, so don't think that will be a problem. I had already thought about replacing the wheels/tires, your comment on their softness just aided that decision!

The A-26 flies heavy and is a little tricky taking off.
I anticipated probable "heaviness" in control response. My only concern for take off was that mine has negative angle-of-attack while sitting on the gear, and I suspected this might require an extra long takeoff run before I achieved 'lift off.'

Thanks again for your input!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll have trouble taking off in grass since the CG is just behind the main gear.
She'll probably tip over.
You also can't add larger wheels without enlarging the wheel well.
Taking off in grass may also bend the wire struts back and drain your battery to a critically low voltage
since the servo cannot fully retract the wheels into the wheel wells.
I've read about pilots *****ing about their retracts pulling out on these planes.
I've never had any problems but grass could exasperate the problem.
If you use fixed gear, at least you could bend them forward to reduce tipping over.
(only one way to find out!).
Only the A-26 has heavy response: the F-82 flies just like the P-51.
Also, with 4 wheels, she doesn't drift to the left when accelerating (real easy to take off).
Sam
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Hey gang...Just wanted to see if any of you pilots are still flying the Venerable P-82 Twin Mustang??????????
What did you use as the CG or Balance point? I have mine with two .40 LA's and covered in the COLORS of the Twin Mustangs that were stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin Texas...
So this is my real cool story..
BOught the ARF 2 yrs ago and covered it as noted above ...detailed it with custom graphics and cockpit details, painted pilots , gunsights, upgraded tailwheel brackets and more... Named it Lady Love.. SO 2 yrs ago I was getting married so I sold it to a guy in San ANTONIO..I was living in AUSTIN at the time and had to be Moved to College Station right after I sold it and got Married... and then 6 months later saw it at a Fly in at Austin..DUde never flew it just showed it off or something.. Then it gets better...I never saw it again for 1.5 yrs until This Sunday in the Market Place for Sale ..... Guy up in Corsicana TX had bought it new STILL UNFLOWN from a guy at a swap meet in WACO who was from San Antonio... FOLLOWING??? OK so I am off to TYLER TX to do Training..and so happens that Corsicana is a little bit out of the way and I can pick it up!!!!!!! YIPPEEE.... Got my P-82 Back in original condition still unflown...Lady Love is back....Now I can go Fly her...Thanks Ricky from Corsicana.. I will post pics of her soon...she is a beauty...
ANy tips besides the usual make sure the engines are reliable or that you tune the stronger one to the weaker one???
Lets see some pics of your P-82's////////////////////////
Thanks..
Old 03-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The WM F-82 is a really good flying model. I installed Fox .50's into my model...way, way to much power, and installed JTec mufflers. My model came out very nose heavy...and from my experience, I would use the lightest .36/.38's I could find. I ended up with two 1400 ma. SR batteries aft of the wing, one in each fuse, and 7 oz. of lead in the tail. I dialed in down trim with flap extention on my Tx, and it will pitch up with flap input. Toss the kit wheels into your spare parts box, and install some good C.G. or Dave Brown wheels. I used two sets of Robart scale wheels...but the wheels were not able to handle the landing loads of the model. The Robarts are grippy wheels and I liked the handling of the model with Robarts, but on the second failure of one wheel...I eneded up ripping out that retract gear when the wheel failed. Be careful with your fuel tanks...I ended up replacing my kit fuel tanks, they leaked after a while.

No real mods done, accept in cover trim color. I did beef up my landing gear mount area...but I would recomend that on any retract ARF model. The model has an impresive presents in the air...awesome really and fly's just like the WM P-51.

I still have my model and now has well over 100 flights on it. I would call it just about the best stand off scale twin trainer model on the market...and mine is now near three years old. It's not very scale, but in the air, it's impressive, fly's very well, solid and like on rails.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM
nemesis4u

Bobby,
Man It is me Tomas...I visited you in Maui when I was on my Honey Moon...Remember when we ate at CheeseBurgers In Paradise?..Yep it is me.. I told you about this plane then...SO I got her back...Now I will fly her..
Thanks for the tips/// 'Much Mahallo'...Maybe we will Talk Story after I fly this P-82...
Tomas In Texas
Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Bob Paris

Dear Tony,
Yes I remember you and your lovely wife. It's been a while and I always wondered how you were doing. It's good to hear from you again and I pray your happy and flying up a storm. It's good to hear your going to be putting together an f-82. It's not a new model, but it is an excellent flyer. Let me know how the model fly's and when you coming back to Maui.
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
nemesis4u

Here is that P-82 Twin Mustang I got back after 2 years still new and unflown with the Markings I applied to represent the F-82's from Bergstrom AFB in AUSTIN TEXAS....All I need to do is give her a GOOD going over...Install the receiver and batteries ..Balance and then Run in the engines...It has 2 OS LA .40's with Pitts Mufflers.. Any suggestions let me know... Is everyone using the CG from the manual ....Is it right on the money that way???

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68003.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	250243   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44162.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	250244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18618.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	250245  
Old 03-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Tom,
That is a nice looking F-82 and I'm going to re,re-engine mine. Yes, it is still in one piece...though I've had one minor rebuild and one more extensive one. The last being when one of the main gear scale Robart wheels failed (blew appart on landing). My first engines were Fox .50's, second were K & B .48's...much more reliable for me...but still made the model a rocket ship, with awesome vertical. My next instillation is going to be Eveloution .36. The reports of this motor have been great and it's a very light engine. As I stated in my eariler posts, the WM F-82 will come out nose heavy...so be careful. Please let me know how it flies...

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui

P.S. When you coming back to Maui ?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 PM
nemesis4u

Bob,
I am thinking of those Corsair/ Navy Airbase/ Airfield Revetments that make flying out of our airfield FUN...and INteresting.... I believe you will enjoy those Evo 36's...If this F-82 did not have the LA .40's I would get the EVO's//
My wife wants to return to MAUI soon... I do too... Just need $$$$$$$$$$$
Try to post some pics of your F-82....
Cheers,
Tomas from Texas
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 PM
nemesis4u

GUYS...Just wanted to report that the Maiden Went PURR'-FECT!!! hehehe The weather was overcast skies, 60 to 90 degree crosswind and FEW spectators at the HOTMAC (Heart Of Texas Model Airplane Club WACO TEXAS) Field today Sunday... My best wingman Mike Lunan at my side..We fired up the Os 40 LA's that were eagerly turning the APC 11x5 props at a nice comfortable RICH 10,800 rpm's on the ground..We kept the engines Rich as they were still very new engines.. We took our time and double checked all connections, Throws, Directions, Travels,,Battery COnditon and then Re-Checked the OS LA's and tuned the Strong engine to the Weaker one as TwinMan always suggests.. After about 1 hr prep time and re-prep..we did several Vertical Tests with both of us holding the plane vertical then horizontal at mid and high throttle settings...PURR-Fection[>:]....
Refueled the P-82 and made the Taxi onto the GIGANTIC Runway... With the acceleration of the THrottles..made a nice run down the center of the Runway...gentle climbout and then gear up...no turning Back now!!! After 7 clicks of Down trim and 4-6 clicks of Rudder/ailerons we got it Perfectly Trimmed out...Hands off flight in 15 MPH winds were great...Did some high passes then lower..and lower...did some scale rolls, figure 8's and a few photo passes...ooops no Photographers were ready... Man this is a sweet flying TWIN...A MUST for ANY BEGINNER...THe OS LA.40's were great and easy to tune today...WOW..Ooops almost 8 minutes were up..so i set up for a long approach NO FLAPS into the cross wind..used some rudder and used throttle management to keep airspeed up..Remember 2 PROPS WILL SLOW you down quicker than 1...landed right on the Center line..and a nice roll out.. as I turned to Taxi back left engine quit...How prototypical...Nice... Man this was a Great Day... I highly Recommend this WORLD MODELS P-82..This was my FIRST TWIN FLIGHT and I TEST FLEW/Maidened her myself...Heck If I can do it everyone CAN!!!!!!!!!!
CHEERS,
One Dam_ happy Texas Pilot!!!!

p.s. Need more Twins....The sound of the Engines in Sync IS ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!
hmmm where is my credit card...Need to order that OV-10 Bronco NOW!!!!!!!

Name:	Sp45179.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	262650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29355.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	262651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48152.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	262652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36745.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	262653  
Old 04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tomas:

Congratulations. Gald to hear everything went well.

Yes, it is addicting. Now get busy and build your hours.

Bill.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM
tonystro

nemesis,

Congratualtions on your success!! I haven't been able to complete my F/P-82 as yet. Servos, tanks and receivers are mounted, linkages are installed, retracts function perfectly, and the pilots have been repainted. Engines are 'temporaily' installed inverted, but may decide to sidemount them. Based on comments posted on RCU I decided to not have functional flaps. Thereby saving a tiny bit of weight and small amount of work. I am at a mental standstill...as I hesitate cutting the cowls until I believe I have determined the least amount of cutting and trimming.

I am hoping to maiden her in a couple of weeks, and to have completed a few flights before the Chatanooga Fly-In. With a focused effort and a little luck in avoiding weekend duty, I should be able to take both the Twin Mustang and my Twin Star. Looking forward to meeting many of the 'twinsane' there.

<edited to add one comment>
Old 10-08-2005, 10:15 AM
nemesis4u

tonystro.... ANY updates on your TWINMUSTANG?? any pics?
let us know.. I am going to a Warbird (all-size) Fly-In Tomorrow and will fly my P-82 and P-51.... Hope to get more great snap shots of it in action... It is rare to see another P-82 Flying anywhere...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 PM
nemesis4u

anyone else flying theirs?

Name:	By76677.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1155029  
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
nemesis4u

I think it is time to get KMP to do an IMAA LEGAL P/F-82 ....

What do you guys think???????? an 88" or 95" VERSION? Nightfighter with center radome?

Be really cool...

Name:	Yw68261.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1155037  
Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Lifer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use Thundertiger Pro .36's, Bisson mufflers (for the LA 40; same bolt pattern), and Hobbico mechanical retacts. Balances right on the money and a large reserve of power.