Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

A new P-38 ARF

Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A new P-38 ARF

I just saw an advertisement for a new P-38 ARF at Nitro Planes. It is a .46 class size. I just received motice that they are now in stock and the price $250.00. Weight to be at 12 lbs. and a 90" wing span. All balsa and ply built.

Has anyone put his hand on this model yet and can give some info on the kit...?

Soft and gentle landings always,
Bobby of Maui

Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Jim Hilgeford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A new P-38 ARF

I just received mine today. It is very good looking, and well built.

But I hope a thread gets started. Lot of questions as manual leaves a lot to desire.

It show the wing, only two halves. 45" each. Until I get into it, it does say if you glue it together
or if the 4 bolts hold it. 2 metal center pieces to hold wing. It does not say if you can dismantle it after building, or if it goes to the field in one piece. But for the price it is a great piece of equipment. Lots of great fiberglas parts that look good.

I will be putting a pair of RCV 90 SP engines on the front. Isn't sound everything!!

Later

Jim in Suny Arizona
Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Jim,
Thanks for the information on this new kit. I can't wait to see pictures of the model and also how things line up and fit. I believe your to RVC .90's may be a bit over powered for the model...but time will see...if the airframe can handle four times the power requirement. I'm waiting to hear more from you on the model before I buy mine...but I will install two K&B .48's I have in mine.

SEND PICTURES!

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Jim Hilgeford

I will also be flying this P-38 at 6800 foot in Colorado.

The high altitude needs be engines.

Later

Jim In Sunny Arizona
Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 AM
shv2sail
My Feedback: (42)

Looking forward to seeing photos and updates on this build. A BIG P-38 for only $250 may be too good to be true- but I hope not!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Jim,
I fly at sea level, so I do not need a lot of extra power like you will need at 6,800 ft. At that altitude, you will need all the power you can get. What type of retractable landing gear are you going to install?
Keep us posted,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: Jim Hilgeford

I just received mine today. It is very good looking, and well built.

But I hope a thread gets started. Lot of questions as manual leaves a lot to desire.

Jim in Suny Arizona
Well, start a build thread with pics.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Terry,
I'm going to look forward to the build, and pictures. Did your model kit come with retracts...?
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Jim Hilgeford

I would like also to know what retracts if any people will install. It may be a shame if
such a warbird does not have retracts in the model.

The interior looks like it could be fixed up also.

For the people whe received thier P-38. How does the wind go together? Glue or just wing bolts??

Jim in Suuny Arizona

Old 06-28-2006, 05:15 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hay Terry,
I'm going to look forward to the build, and pictures. Did your model kit come with retracts...?
Bobby of Maui

I dont have one, and based on the looks of the ads, won't be getting one. I was suggesting Jim H. start a thread, since he already has one. Probably the first one in fact.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 PM
eagledancer

i ordered mine today, 269.00 with shipping if you tell them you seen thier add on RCU. the manual shows NO RETRACTS. thats fine, i just wanted something cheap to get used to twins before i start a ziroli i have been collecting parts for. i am planning on a pair of .61 two strokes for it. and your right the manual is crap, i downloaded it off thier website, not much info there at all. i do think we need a build thread on this one. i know i will chime in, i should have mine in 5-7 days and planning on starting on it right away

todd
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Todd,
Are you going to go fixed gear with your P-38 or retracts ?

I have been looking at the KMP model for a while now and I've had my hands on the VQ kit a buddy has. I do have a pair of .48's and a nice pair of K & B .61's...all Lee engines. I do not have any retracts that would fit and I need to finish off my P-51B first anyway. I've had an itch for this model for a long time and here it is. This kit is cheaper then buying an old Royal P-38 kit...and the Royal kit is a built up kit.

More pictures please folks...lets get some close up shots of the kit...PLEASE.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui

Old 06-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Bob Paris

I just bit the bullet and bought the olive green kit. It cost me $130.27 to ship to Hawaii...but all models cost bucks to get out here. Two day air with UPS, for a total of $379.27. Now as soon as I get the kit...I'm going to look at some retracts. I understand VQ has a set they sell for their P-38...and may go this route. I will take pictures of the kit in detail before I start the build, and show what I find. I will try and see just how large a fuel tank will fit and I may just mount my engines at 90 deg. for easy running. The kit screams out for inverted engines...but I went with inverted engines with my F-82...and they were a pain in the tail feathers to keep running together (the engines were Fox .50's with Perry pumps and carbs). Time will tell what I do...and I will also see what others do with theirs.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-29-2006, 06:58 PM
eagledancer

hey bob
Hay Todd,
Are you going to go fixed gear with your P-38 or retracts ?
i am keeping this one simple staying with fixed gear, my plan is to get used to twins on a cheap one then build a ziroli i have been collecting parts for
Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
fgpierce
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Guys
I 'm putting one together now. I modified it for retracts. Spring air to be exact. It's getting a little involved as I have to move the wing mount block in the nacelle higher to clear the wheel. I used a Spring air firewall mount nosewheel unit for the nose. Worked out pretty well. I have templates of the parts I made as I did for Dual Ace 46 in another post here in RCUniverse. I can take some picks if any one is interested.
I don't feel too comfortable with the location the factorys fixed main blocks. They look too far back from the CG possibly making rotation (takeoff)
difficult. I could be wrong but I moved mine forward to about 1" behind the CG. I also had to mount them a little different because I didn't want o male large holes in the bottom of the nacelle.

Be careful with the nacelles as mine started cracking from the wood ( lower tri-angle stock) being brittle. You May want to reglue the joints before too much handling. In fairness it was the left tailboom. The right one is OK as I CAed it before doing the mods

All in all this isn't a bad plane for the money especially when you take it's size into consideration
Old 06-30-2006, 06:12 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

How much of the plane must be taken apart for transport to the field?

And how easy is the disassembly and reassembly?

What about weight? Do you think it'll be a true 12 pound plane, or is that weight without engines and radios?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Bob Paris

I would love to see the pictures of your modifications to your kits landing gear area. How long did it take to reinforce your landing gear area ? And what woods did you use? I would also like to see pictures of the area's you had to place C.A. glue in to reinforce.

I'm thinking of Spring air retracts myself...but undecided. I will know more when I see my kit. It has yet to arrive, but I will post pictrues of the kit.

With a 90" wing span...what Scale would it be...1/9th...1/8th. ... 1/7th..? I want to order some graphics and I do need the approximate scale...any help here would be nice.

For the $$$ it is a lot of machine to get, and if it is a bit of a stand off-ish, in the scale outline department, it will be ok. I do have the World Models F-82 and it is way stand of scale (not even close to scale), but has an impresive presentation in the air. So though not any where near the VQ P-38 in scale, it is 1/3 the cost.

Keep the picturds coming.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-01-2006, 03:05 AM
fgpierce

Here are a few pics of the mod so far. I used 5 ply 3/32 spruce. It's excellent wood with a lot of strength. I still have to add a few doublers in the retract mount screw area. I like to make templates from stiff card stock first then test fit. I next make them from wood, test fit again and assemble by tack gluing. I also make all parts for left and right at the same time. I'll also assemble left and right to assure symmetry. When the templates were made I didn't add the interlock tabs. I added them as I made the wood parts making sure the tabs all fit correctly.
I had my retracts from other aircraft and don't know the model numbers. But they are Spring air.

The bare air frame was weighed before the start at 9lbs 1/2 oz. The booms alone are 1lb. each. I haven't yet weighed the booms now modified.

The factory wing bolt plate had to be removed. A new one made and installed in a higher location to clear the wheel when retracted.

I'm sorry but I can't upload the pics right now. I tried several time and RCU won't finish with a conformation. I'll try again later
Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 AM
fgpierce

Here are the templates. I'll also attach the pics I've taken so far. The 38 is now sitting on it's own legs with the wing and booms squared and attached.

Yes.... they are finaly uploaded

I'll take some pics later now that the wings/booms are attached so the screw holes will show. Remember you must realign the wings and booms as the original mount plate was removed to make room for the retracted wheel!

There seems to be 2 jpg's of the same templates[:@]. I'll try to get the other uploaded
This is what happens when your doing things 2:30 A.M. ...... CONFUSION[sm=sleeping.gif]

The main template pic was named incorrectly to the Dual ace 46! Sorry for any confusion I'm still kinda new to these forums.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63871.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	485407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50599.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	485408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59619.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	485409   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27675.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	485410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71545.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	485411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69347.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	485412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44544.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	485413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38260.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	485414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15210.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	485415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55039.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	485416  
Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Bob Paris

Thank you for the pictures. I see the kit was not set up for retracts, so like you ... I will need to do some work to make them fit.
Keep it up...
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 PM
CubClipper

FGpierce, is the stock version of this plane designed to [sm=confused.gif]go together as one piece or can a person take it apart for ease of transportation?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 PM
fgpierce

I thought I might mention as it may not occur to all that see this mod. I didn't want large gapping holes in the bottom of the booms. Yeah the wheels are one thing but having to install the retract unit through the bottom irked me. So I decided to see if it would be a big deal to install them through the wing saddle. If you'll notice the unit mounts to a smaller plate and then gets fixed to the main retract/ servo upper frame plate. (I don't know what names to use to desribe these parts). I had to bring the retract unit higher in the saddle area in order for the wheel to be inside when retracted. The boom is flat bottomed.

A few more pics may help...

Please ignore my workshop... just one of my experiments gone horribly wrong. How to fit 20lbs. of crap in a 2lb bag.![X(] Besides I'll stop only long enough to rest, eat, put my tools back, so I can find em', and FLY[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 PM
fgpierce

this uploading is dirving me crazy[:@] The newer pics aren't showing up for upload. I'll try later . Sorry!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 PM
fgpierce

Not really. The wing splits in the middle using 2 aluminum wing tubes and unbolts from the booms and pilots gondola. the booms will need to be supported somehow to avoid damaging the tail feathers. I have a few ideas that aren't coming together right now. I'll try to address this later. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 07-01-2006, 06:58 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

This is what I used to transport my F-82 twin mustang.
The foam holds the two fuses so the wing can be removed.
I used a piece of oak about 1/4" thick and about 1 1/2" wide and drilled holes to match the wing mounts.
This kept the fuses from racking and could be picked up without the wing attached,
although I just kept the plane in the foam holder when not flying (but always with the oak support attached).
The foam holder was 'half cut' so the total four pieces could be dismantled and stored easily, if needed.
With two booms and if the wing stays as one piece, I strongly suggest using two receivers to eliminate the many connections that will be needed using just one receiver (you'll have to add a battery on one side anyway to balance it so you might as well add the receiver too).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13900.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	485592  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.