Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

First of all do both glow plug come on and glow brightly? If so then it is likely a problem in the new glowplug sensing software. If not then the slow flashing red LED thinks there is not a glow plug or battery connected.

You have version 2.1. Glowdriver LEDs operate different on 2.1 than 2.0. On 2.1 (that you have) If you do not have a plug and/or battery connected the red leds on the sync will flash slowly. If the glow battery is low they will flash fast. If everything is good then they will be on solid. I have not released this new version of software to production units yet. I am still tweaking some of the voltage thresholds. The led on the glowdrivers will always be on solid when glow drivers are on.

So if every thing is working correctly except for the red slow flshing led, can you email me the voltage you read on the orange wire of that glowdriver when plugs are turned off and plugs are on?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all...I need help...

I have the Twinsync installed in my TF 310 with OS 46AX's. The magnets and pickups in the plane, but are not installed, yet.

I set the throttle servos without the TS hooked up. Then I hooked the TS up per instructions. When the RX and TX are powered up, the servos just jitter and I have no control. Also, one of the green indicator lights glows, but brightens when a magnet is passed by the pickup. The other green light stays off until a magnet is passed by it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bo
Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
yl5295

Bo.

Something is not plugged in correctly. Unplug everything. Start with just throttle from the RX and one throttle servo. See if it works correctly. Pay attention to orientation of the plugs. Black wire towards the edge of the board - not toward the IC in the middle of the board.

Bill
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
yl5295

Bo,

I sent you a PM... call me in the morning if you don't get it working tonight.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Sarah

Hi Bill,

I've received my Twinsync and I'm concerned about the soldering of the servo/receiver connectors and the LED's.

The connectors were not fully inserted when soldered as shown in one of the photos below. Also there is solder around the LED legs on the topside of the board and a white deposit on some of the components, including the servo/receiver connectors.

I'd be grateful for your help with this problem.

Regards,

Sarah Frazer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82659.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	721920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76435.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	721921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78933.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	721922  
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
yl5295

I have had a couple of reports of soldering issues in one batch of units that has been addressed. I will be glad to replace the unit if you would like but it is most likely just cosmetic since all units are tested. As for the white power it is fiberglass dust from when the pannels (of many devices) were cut up. The units are now being alchol washed after cutting in the assembly process.

Let me know if you want your unit replaced. [email protected]
Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
deltatech

Hi Bill! I'm Jason. I spoke to you on the phone a few months ago about my Hitek radio/reciever and my throttles cutting to idle uncomanded. You sent me a new cable to link my reciever to the TwinSync. I have good news and bad news. Good news I maidened my DC-3 a few weeks ago. I have 6 flights on my DC-3 and I'm very happy with it. The TwinSync has helped me to tame this aircraft and gave me the confidence in my engines to feel comfortabe to fly "thanks". On to the bad news. I still have the throttles cutting to idle. The problem isn't as bad as before but it still happens - in flight. It only happens when the throttle is below %50. Above %50 there is no problem. Now here is the kicker-I was flying cowls off. I installed the cowls "plastic coated with aluminum tape" and the problem is worse than ever. I can't get the throttle above %40 at all. When I removed the cowls it went back to being a manageable menace. What's up?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 AM
yl5295

It sounds to me like you are getting some really nasty RFI into the sensor wires. Somewhere arround the engine there is a vibrating metal to metal contact that is putting out a lot of RFI (radio freq. interference). Glow plug clip could be a candidate. I assume you have a plactic/nylon connector on the throttle arm. A bad engine bearing can do this also. The other thing you can try is to wrap the sensor wire arround a EMI filter (metal torrid often suppiled on the power cord of audio and video components. I think you also told me you were running glow engines - that eliminates spark noise getting into the sensor wires.

To verify this is the issue you can route the sensor wires outside the cowls and run the engines and see what it does. If problem is gone then you have verified that it is RFI being generated somewhere arround the engine.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:16 PM
deltatech

Thanks for getting back to me. What you said makes sense because when I pulled the cowls off I noticed a 3" length of tape inside the cowl that was peeling up due to being fuel soaked. I'm peeling the tape from the inside of the cowls but even without the cowls I had the problem but it was somewhat managable. I'm considering switching to my Futaba 6AX system to see what happens. What do you think about that idea? Thanks. Deltatech
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
yl5295

ALL!!!!

I just found a bug - CRAP!!! This means most of you - regardless of the version you have will want to get an update. It surfaced on a Multiplex radio going repeadly in and out of fail safe. Multiplex runs at muh less than 40fps. I had fixed this issue in the past. Why was it back? I dug into the code and found the issue. I had doubled the internal frame rate to get engines to respond at the same speeds to a failing engine scenario. In doing this I did not update the signal loss detection code to declare signal loss at a 20 HZ frame rate or less. Instead it now declares a signal loss at less than 40fps (i.e. why multiplex fails).

This will also explain why some people are seeing the engines pull back when they should not!!!!

Send me your chips. Procedure again is to stick them in a piece of styrofoam (not foam rubber) and mail them to me in a padded envelope with two stamps on the outside and two stamps inside for return postage. No charges. If you don't feel comfotable removing and replacing the chip after the update you can send me your board (4 stamps each way then).

Sorry guys. Code is already fixed and ready to go. Ver 1.4.6 for the old style and Ver 2.1.2 for the new style.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 PM
boingram

Bill,

Could this be why I am having so much trouble per my earlier e-mails.

I'mm running a MX Evo 12.

Bo
Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
yl5295

Yes this is your issue.

This can cause a lot of problems if the frame rate on the tx is slower than the twinsync. You should be able to tell if you are going into failsafe by seeing what it does and low throttle and high throttle (more movement at one than the other if this is your issue). Bottom line is everyone needs an update. I am really bummed but I am glad I found it before someone damaged an airplane. The double frame rate made the operation of the device perfectly matched but created this problem.

Bill
Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM
skaap2k

Hi Bill,

I think that will explain why I was having a few issues aswell - is my version affected aswell? 2.1 ?

Also, running one of my engines, and it appears that it doesnt pick up on every revolution (at least not on the external display) - is this normal? i have looked over & over, and the sensor is close enough to the spinner at all times, and manually moving it past the sensor it always picks up... any ideas?

Rob
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
yl5295

ALL VERSIONS NEED THIS UPDATE
- No one has this update yet. I just found it yesterday afternoon.

The green LED on the remote display operation you describe is normal. The display can not flash as fast as the prop can turn so it juts blinks the green LED when there is rpm.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
boingram

{edit}

PM or email Bill for where to send..
Thank you,
Robby

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
yl5295

Bo,

My mailing address is in the TwinSync manual.

Bill
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: yl5295

Bo,

My mailing address is in the TwinSync manual.

Bill
Can't you just turn the code over online to those of us that can flash the Cypress controller by ourselves? Better yet, how about I just supply you a blank controller chip amd you can flash that. That way I can rotate one in/out as necessary.

I don't need to tell you how damned inconvenient it is to tear my airplane apart to pull the IC.......sigh.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
yl5295

branded,

Sorry, I can't release the code or .hex file for what ever micro it is. I have released schematics to people in other countries so the code has to stay here.

Most people will not have an issue with this bug (hundreds are flying with the current software with only a couple of problem reports). I have considered building a programmer for it but it would be too expensive to be practical. The bottom line is I found problem and I want to make everyone aware of it because this device is meant to "save" airplanes and not "crash them".

Bo,
Since this is not an issue for most (99%+) futaba, JR, airtronics, hitec, etc. owners, I will ask them to send them in for an upgrade. Since you are flying multiplex (and the current firmware is not useable with multiplex) I will send you a new IC tomorrow. Send me yours back after you get the new one... I do track who owes me stuff back so please send it back so if you need something in the future I can send it without worrying about the IC you owe me.

email me your mailing address to [email protected]

Bill
Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
boingram

Bill,

It
I have been modelling for 50-years and I understand the necessity for a learning curve with new and innovative products. Yours is seomthing we have needed for a long time and I am anxious in being part of the solution and not the problem.

Bo
Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Sarah

Hi Bill,

I sent my Twinsync back for replacement, from England on the 17/7/07, would you be able to include the update in the replacement please.

Many thanks again,

Sarah
Old 07-22-2007, 11:02 AM
yl5295

I will...

Everyone... please mark whether you have a TwinSync 1.4.X or the new style (Ver 2.0). The glow driver voltage sensors and the display connection is the only difference between the two but there is this minor difference.

Bill
Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: yl5295

branded,

Sorry, I can't release the code or .hex file for what ever micro it is. I have released schematics to people in other countries so the code has to stay here.

Most people will not have an issue with this bug (hundreds are flying with the current software with only a couple of problem reports). I have considered building a programmer for it but it would be too expensive to be practical. The bottom line is I found problem and I want to make everyone aware of it because this device is meant to "save" airplanes and not "crash them".

Bo,
Since this is not an issue for most (99%+) futaba, JR, airtronics, hitec, etc. owners, I will ask them to send them in for an upgrade. Since you are flying multiplex (and the current firmware is not useable with multiplex) I will send you a new IC tomorrow. Send me yours back after you get the new one... I do track who owes me stuff back so please send it back so if you need something in the future I can send it without worrying about the IC you owe me.

email me your mailing address to [email protected]

Bill
Fine...I will clone it and make it available to whomever whats it... I paid more for this than I paid for my last DVD player.....No need to keep things secret at that price IMO!
No need to keep the fact that it's a Cypress processor secret either. It's obvious to anyone savvy enough to look at a few traces on the PC board.

BTW, I see your soldering and quality issues aren't resolved yet as evidenced by Sarah's post......
Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
boingram

Bill,

Re: the message from the guy that threantened to clone your work...I suppose Ben Franklin, Alexander Bell, Henry Ford, eta.al had their detractors.

I have found your support and willingness to get your product correct very refreshing.

There are those that are envious and jealous of creativity and the desire to further their avocation and craft.

Keep up the good work...

Bo
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 PM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

Fine...I will clone it and make it available to whomever whats it... I paid more for this than I paid for my last DVD player.....No need to keep things secret at that price IMO!
No need to keep the fact that it's a Cypress processor secret either. It's obvious to anyone savvy enough to look at a few traces on the PC board.

BTW, I see your soldering and quality issues aren't resolved yet as evidenced by Sarah's post......

W.T.F.? whats the matter with you? The dude said he'll fix it. What more do you want?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 AM
yl5295

NO worries... eveyone is free to clone, copy it, etc... There is a company trying to come out with a competing product which would be good as well.

To educate everyone in electronics a little. The chip (what ever it is) IS secure. There is no way to copy it. Some one could only start from scratch and re-create a new product (A 6 month effort - if you are good).

To build 5-10 of these they cost much more than $100 each. If I could build a 1000 they would sell for <$50 ea. If I built 10,000 they would sell for <$25 each. At 100,000 they would cost <$10 each.

So build more twins and they will get cheap!!! But at numbers being sold and the cost of advertising it is not worth doing. I did it to learn and I wanted one. Plus I promise the best support in business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.